IGNORED

What DAC technology was most advanced in CD & SACD players

2 hours ago, Allan F said:

SACD/DSD pioneer Andreas Koch of Playback Designs has pointed out at many seminars that a DSD bit stream is a lot closer to analog than PCM. 

Digital "stairs" vs analog

From math and electrical implementation points of view, no difference between analog and any known us kind of digital signal.

As example, usual sine is described for analog and digital signal same way:

Y(t) = A * sine(Ω*t)

Digital signal is discrete form of presentation of analog signal.

But digital signal is not "stairs" (for PCM) or "pulses/bits" (for DSD).

These stairs and bits are ideally interpolated by analog filter, when some conditions are performed.

Read details ("PCM digital-analog converter" part) https://samplerateconverter.com/educational/pcm-audio

DSD vs PCM

To easy understanding, I'd recommend consider DSD and PCM in spectral view.

The view show full identity of DSD and PCM, except noise shaping, that compensate minimal bit depth of DSD.

We also can apply the noise shaping for PCM to improve signal/noise ration and dynamic range expanding.

Read details:

Resume

From technical or audio unit design points of view, I don't see principial difference between analog, PCM and DSD, except some details of implementation.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

14 hours ago, audiventory said:

Digital "stairs" vs analog

From math and electrical implementation points of view, no difference between analog and any known us kind of digital signal.

Resume

From technical or audio unit design points of view, I don't see principial difference between analog, PCM and DSD, except some details of implementation.

Lacking both the knowledge and the chutzpah, I would certainly not be prepared to tell Andreas Koch, one of the pioneer developers of DSD, that he is wrong. Are you? :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

2 hours ago, Allan F said:

Lacking both the knowledge and the chutzpah, I would certainly not be prepared to tell Andreas Koch, one of the pioneer developers of DSD, that he is wrong. Are you?

I can't give advice, ask you him or not.

It depend on, want and ready you and he discuss it or not :)

May be I'd ask, what he meant as "closer to analog".

Example in addition to my previous post (about {DSD bit stream is a lot closer to analog than PCM}):

I seen the picture where was shown lesser ringings for DSD system comparing PCM one.

But I understand, why it so. It is matter of band width and used digitial filter steepness.

If we expand band of PCM and apply non-steep filter we get the same ringing.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

I remember having an Arcam Delta CD transport and an external Micromega Duo BS 2 DAC back in the early 90s. The sound was very good through bi-amped Linn Kaber speakers driven by Mission Cyrus II amps, powered by Mission Cyrus PSX power supplies.

The DAC had a very unusual shape - long and narrow. No real external controls or informative display to speak of. Just pure, clean sound.