IGNORED

What does JRiver do?

swsyahoo

Question

I am new to this forum, forgive me if I seem a little behind most of you.  Here is my setup.  I have a computer running JRiver on an ethernet with a NAS and an Audio Research Reference DAC/Media Bridge.  I have noticed that I can select an album in JRiver and get it streaming to the DAC.  When I close the JRiver application, the music continues, as if JRiver has nothing to do with actual streaming from the NAS to the DAC over the ethernet.  Apparently it doesn't.  Incidentally, I am using DLNA to control the handshaking between JRiver and the Media Bridge.

That is the most convenient method I have found to manage music selection.

So I am wondering if my interpretation is correct -- JRiver doesn't have anything to do with conversion of the FLAC files (on the NAS) to a PCM stream, that all happens on the Media Bridge.  Its only role in this setup is to coordinate file selection between the Media Bridge and the NAS.  Is that right?  

Thanks a lot.

1 answer to this question

JRiver can act as a control point which is just like your television remote control for lack of a simpler explanation. When you take the batteries out of the remote the television doesn't stop. In this setup your NAS is the DLNA server. JRiver can also work as the DLNA server and control point.

Your DAC is what decodes the FLAC files.

For a little better understanding of how each piece of the puzzle works I recommend our DLNA / UPnP guide here - 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png