IGNORED

Self introduction

Good morning all, it's 10.34 am here and here is Italy and exactly Milano where I live. I have 1 wife (sometime is a little, sometime is too much☺️)  , 1 son , 1 cat and a big passion for the music since I was young, now I'm 63. After many and many years my HiFi system is now more or less definitive ( I know, strange word for this matter) and as soon as my job and my private life allow me, I enter in my dedicate room, small unfortunately but enough for me, and I listen music. My preferred music is Jazz and Progressive Rock.

See you on  the forum to share experience, opinion and so on.

Best regards

Maurizio

I could have bought an older Ferrari for less than my Porsche, but the maintenance would have QUICKLY chewed up the difference and then some.

Except the batch of bad engines in the first 400 or so 991 generation GT3s (of which mine was the first one in MN) the Porsches I have owned have been the most reliable vehicles I have owned.

No electron left behind.

29 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I could have bought an older Ferrari for less than my Porsche, but the maintenance would have QUICKLY chewed up the difference and then some.

Except the batch of bad engines in the first 400 or so 991 generation GT3s (of which mine was the first one in MN) the Porsches I have owned have been the most reliable vehicles I have owned.

Generally speaking, "budget" $7500/year for upkeep on one's Ferrari! Pretty stiff. That's why many used Ferraris are studies in deferred maintenance. 

19 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

one reason Porsche often beat the Italians in endurance racing...

Italy is a close 2nd to France in wine, food, etc.

every W. European country has a place i heaven (and in hell) - hence the old joke...

Having spent a lot of time in both countries, I would say that they are pretty much neck-and-neck with regard to food and wine, generally speaking. I know that France has a Haute Cuisine that that is considered by experts to be the best in the world, but very few Frenchmen eat that way. OTOH, I'd put Chinese cooking against the best and fanciest French cooking any day of the week!

George

3 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Having spent a lot of time in both countries, I would say that they are pretty much neck-and-neck with regard to food and wine, generally speaking. I know that France has a Haute Cuisine that that is considered by experts to be the best in the world, but very few Frenchmen eat that way. OTOH, I'd put Chinese cooking against the best and fanciest French cooking any day of the week!

Where on that list would you put the Vietnamese that are expert French cooks?

No electron left behind.

the Vietnamese  in Louisiana or the Vietnamese still in Vietnam?

BTW, based on listening to a comedian from India do a routine on colonialism ("bad but we did get a kick ass railway system out of the deal") I began thinking about who is the best country to have been colonized by... yes, C'est France

13 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Welcome. I have a set of speakers that were hand made in Italy. Sonus Faber Olympica 1s.  Italy is perhaps my favorite place on the planet to visit, and perhaps even live someday!

edit: If you know anyone that can get me a deal on a Ferrari 488GTB I'm all ears. ?

Right with you Doc. My Sonus Faber Olympica III's were the most beautifully speakers I've ever owned, by far. 

Also, if you are considering possibly living in Italy, one day. here are a couple things you may find interesting. Though hopefully not before we get together for some spirited driving, a Juicy Lucy, and some good beers in Minnesota.

http://letters.liveandinvestoverseas.com/form/liveandinvestoverseas/viewhtml/9z2ztdikqefk4c3f6v9v2989klmg1r66lclmsrbvcvo_rp22sh2s8i6aob0cpj60o30sjh2bs?utm_campaign=ool-2018-10-23&utm_medium=email&utm_source=overseas_opportunity_letter

http://letters.liveandinvestoverseas.com/form/liveandinvestoverseas/viewhtml/9z2zc8bvq0cpfr3mllgde3f9pp6o0ua09kmbejief28_rp22sh2s8i6aob0cpie1or1c5h2bs?utm_campaign=ool-seg-2018-10-24-italy-kit&utm_medium=email&utm_source=overseas_opportunity_letter

JC

17 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I never thought about Vietnamese Creole...  Interesting. But I was thinking of the ones we have here, they run the best French Bakeries.

you need to visit New Orleans - food + music

and I have a complete set of field notes on Viet. food in NoLa

most people don't and usually stay in the French Quarter the whole visit

yet, one can spend months w/o going into the Quarter and eat extremely well each day of those months

Eastern NO is where a lot of the Vietnamese live now - these were mostly people who were resettled post-Vietnam war - it seems to have been a good match to bring people form one former French colony to another former French colony - maybe N. Africa can add to the gumbo next...

On 12/17/2018 at 6:07 PM, AudioDoctor said:

Where on that list would you put the Vietnamese that are expert French cooks?

Well, they are that! I have been frequenting a "French" restaurant run by Vietnamese for many years. The food is very classical French and beyond reproach. I'd say that they are very good at French Haute Cuisine.

George