IGNORED

Roon skipping problem

JDoyle

Question

I’m probably going to ask in the Roon community, but I’d thought I’d try here first for (hopefully) a faster/more direct answer, wondering if someone else had a similar issue.

I purchased a small green computer sonic transporter i5 for my sister as an early Christmas gift and made the trip to Florida to set her up.

The installation went smoothly, using Roon/Tidal only (no internal drive).   Everything was playing well when it suddenly started to “skip” through the songs (as if you hit the pause button, then it would start again skipping the second or two gap).  This would happen for a period of time and then go away.  Before I left to return home, I contacted Andrew at SGC (he’s been very helpful). He suggested that I try again to re-install the current version and reboot.  The unit does run very warm, but Andrew said that was normal. He then thought it might be a wi-fi issue.

I noticed on either an iPhone or iPad controller, the song would be playing and the countdown clock would stop moving, sometimes the song kept playing, but the countdown “cursor “ would jump ahead to catch up... then stop counting again shortly thereafter. If the stop/catchup was only 1-4 seconds, there’d be no stoppage in sound, but if it got to be 5+ seconds, the song would “skip” to catch up...

I suggested that she move her router, or perhaps install a mesh network WiFi (as per Andrew’s suggestion). She hasn’t done either yet, since a speed test revealed 91mbps download speed. It played well for about a week but now it’s skipping again. :(  

I neglected to mention that she is using Sonos as an endpoint 

Wondering if anyone has an idea of what it might be?

Thanks in advance.

JD

8 answers to this question

On 1/6/2019 at 10:18 PM, bobfa said:

I assume you have had your question answered somewhere else? 

I have seen this happen when there is some sort of connection problem with Roon and Tidal.  I have had to restart the ST or log out of tidal and back in again.

Thanks for your reply, no I haven’t found a solution to this problem yet. Your signing out of Tidal suggestion is the first time that I’ve heard that... I’ll have them try that.  Is signing out of Tidal something that you do while in Roon, or do you do that right on the Tidal site?

Thanks again,

JD

i've also encountered this situation using sonos as an endpoint.  when playing music -- either from my nas or tidal -- the sonos zone will suddenly stop, usually after 15-30 minutes of playing.  i've noticed that roon seems to think that the sonos zone is still playing and the play/pause button in roon isn't functional (the workaround was to forward to the next sound).

my belief is that a sonos update (they seem to do a lot of them) is the source of the problem, breaking the communication link with roon.

as mentioned above, i don't have the issue with roon endpoints -- they'll play on forever without stopping.

bottom line -- i don't think it's your setup and unfortunately don't think you can fix it (sonos and/or roon will need to do that).

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
3 hours ago, jcn3 said:

i've also encountered this situation using sonos as an endpoint.  when playing music -- either from my nas or tidal -- the sonos zone will suddenly stop, usually after 15-30 minutes of playing.  i've noticed that roon seems to think that the sonos zone is still playing and the play/pause button in roon isn't functional (the workaround was to forward to the next sound).

my belief is that a sonos update (they seem to do a lot of them) is the source of the problem, breaking the communication link with roon.

as mentioned above, i don't have the issue with roon endpoints -- they'll play on forever without stopping.

bottom line -- i don't think it's your setup and unfortunately don't think you can fix it (sonos and/or roon will need to do that).

Thanks for your reply... I had my sister setup her iPad as an endpoint and it didn’t skip. So I now believe and concur with  your observation that Sonos is the issue. I’m having them test without the Sonos boost, but I’m not optimistic that the removal will solve it.

i will post back if we solve the problem.  I’ll probably post something on the Roon community too if the problem still happens.

On 1/11/2019 at 7:38 PM, JDoyle said:

Thanks for your reply... I had my sister setup her iPad as an endpoint and it didn’t skip. So I now believe and concur with  your observation that Sonos is the issue. I’m having them test without the Sonos boost, but I’m not optimistic that the removal will solve it.

i will post back if we solve the problem.  I’ll probably post something on the Roon community too if the problem still happens.

I often find that issues like this go away by using a wired ethernet connection to the endpoint. "dumber" devices tend to have more problems on wireless than wired.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I found the answer to this problem after visiting my sister last week. Their Sonos boost was too close to their router and it was suffering from interference. I moved it further away and also adjusted the channel on it within Sonos and it seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks again to all who replied.

JD