IGNORED

Ripped CD via Sofware vs Manual Copy/Paste File Differences

48 minutes ago, cjf said:

At first glance so far though, it appears there is no concern with using AccurateRip based on the replies. That was my main concern as I didn't want any precious musical content being tossed because it doesn't match the online DB.

AccurateRip is a verification system. It does not alter any data. 

Yuri,

3 billions informations, a noise that you build after every shot in a press, every stamper will have its own signature when you grow nickel, the number of manufacturers worldwide but still the magic data base compare the performance of your drive to others.

Accurate rip and best sound for ever.

• 1 year later...
On 12/19/2018 at 1:36 PM, tmtomh said:

@cjf I can only speculate about the 70-byte difference, but I think I know what is causing it (or at least the general idea behind it). Audio CDs do not have filesystems in the same way a computer drive or CD-ROM disc does. Any drive that reads them has to approximate exactly where the data begins for a track. And different optical drives have different built-in offsets, which changes (usually by just a few samples, but sometimes by 100s of samples) where they start reading a track.

So my guess is that in CD-ripping mode, your drive's offset is 35 samples, which would equal 70 bytes.

In other words, assuming that there were no actual glitches in the ripping or copying process for all the tracks you ripped and copied from your CD, I would guess that the resulting files you have are indeed identical, and that the 70 byte difference exists in the form of 35 fewer samples at the beginning of each of one of your two sets of tracks.

Generally speaking, you are better off using a dedicated ripping app rather than the "caveman" method of cut and paste. The latter will work fine in most cases, but the former method is the only way to ensure an accurate rip (if that's possible - with a damaged CD sometimes it's not) with full error correction.

Finally, I would recommend you completely ignore @audiventory on the subject of the AccurateRip database - his math is wrong when he claims that using the database reduces the accuracy/error detection of CD rips, and if you look at what he posts pretty much anywhere in these forums, you'll see that this issue of AccurateRip is almost all he ever posts about, and the argument has been done to death.

Or there are slightly different headers in the files that are copied compared to the ones ripped. There is no point at all in checksumming files created in two different ways on a computer; there will be differences in metadata or headers that should be obvious. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.