IGNORED

New Holo Audio Spring2 DSD1024 DAC

Yeh, I’m still on that bus too, re format conversion.

Looking forward to your Spring2 review!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

I was wondering about which to go for, Spring 2 or upcoming May DAC. Some information about May:

May will be upcoming flagship product. Around 4500usd. More advanced power supply circuit, the very best components. Similar dac module but with some improvements. It will also have a preamp as well as a headamp that is based on our very popular Azure amplifier with 8amp modules and 400transistors. There are many other things but I can’t release this info at this time. It’s many months out still. It is targeted to the loud speaker owner who wants to save space on the rack and have all these features. Just needs to pair with an amp and speakers while the spring2 is a pure dac component and as far as the dac module it will be similar sound quality. The bar is already set extremely high for the spring2 so one should not expect a leap in sound quality going up to the May. It’s small, yet notable and measurable as well. Our very best effort will go into the May. But is not targeted to everyone. It will be a niche market for it.

(Hope I was allowed to share :D) personally I will go Spring 2. 4500 usd is way out of budget.

21 minutes ago, Veri said:

I was wondering about which to go for, Spring 2 or upcoming May DAC. Some information about May:

May will be upcoming flagship product. Around 4500usd. More advanced power supply circuit, the very best components. Similar dac module but with some improvements. It will also have a preamp as well as a headamp that is based on our very popular Azure amplifier with 8amp modules and 400transistors. There are many other things but I can’t release this info at this time. It’s many months out still. It is targeted to the loud speaker owner who wants to save space on the rack and have all these features. Just needs to pair with an amp and speakers while the spring2 is a pure dac component and as far as the dac module it will be similar sound quality. The bar is already set extremely high for the spring2 so one should not expect a leap in sound quality going up to the May. It’s small, yet notable and measurable as well. Our very best effort will go into the May. But is not targeted to everyone. It will be a niche market for it.

(Hope I was allowed to share :D) personally I will go Spring 2. 4500 usd is way out of budget.

Thanks for the info, do you have a link?

As I neither need a preamp nor a HP amp I will go for Spring2.

The price is competitive to Denafrips Terminator.

Would be nice to get the May DAC module for Spring2 as well.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

2 hours ago, Veri said:

Your quote seems to be from a parallel universe for me.

BTW, don't expect me quote Jeff's comment about MAY. I won't. 😉

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

On 12/30/2018 at 3:07 AM, louisxiawei said:

As you may know, there will be another DSD1024 DAC called "MAY" released by Holo audio after Chinese new year. I will directly go for MAY instead of Spring 2. 

Hi Louis

Can you share more info on the MAY DAC?

Or links to where features were discussed?

Many thanks

On 1/5/2019 at 8:07 PM, Em2016 said:

Hi Louis

Can you share more info on the MAY DAC?

Or links to where features were discussed?

Many thanks

I began to mention "MAY" because previous post quoted a link from audioscience in which someone talked about it.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/some-measurements-of-holo-audio-spring-dac.5869/

As far as I know, MAY is technically better in terms of SDM and R2R module. 

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

21 minutes ago, louisxiawei said:

I began to mention "MAY" because previous post quoted a link from audioscience in which someone talked about it.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/some-measurements-of-holo-audio-spring-dac.5869/

As far as I know, MAY is technically better in terms of SDM and R2R module. 

All the measurements they talk about on ASR are from Spring1.

Do you have a recent link about the superiority of the May DAC module in comparison to Spring2?

Thanks

Matt

12 hours ago, matthias said:

Do you have a recent link about the superiority of the May DAC module in comparison to Spring2?

Thanks

Matt

Except gossip, You won't see any measurement, detailed comparison until the MAY is actually released! 

12 hours ago, matthias said:

Thanks

Matt

Except gossip, You won't see any measurement, detailed comparison until the MAY is actually released! 

29 minutes ago, Miska said:

I wonder what Stereophile did with the Jtest measurement, because I don't get similar results from my Spring1...

HoloSpring-jtest24-pcm352-graph.thumb.png.09249a3d678d5b66eb4f471e1ddb0b09.png

Maybe they run it in NOS mode at 44.1k rate, which could explain... My measurement is 44.1k J-test24 file, upsampled by HQPlayer to 352.8k and Spring1 set to NOS mode.

Not too shabby!

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2019 at 5:20 PM, Miska said:

That too is pointless nowadays. There's no need to list every XMOS, Thesycon or Mytek PID. Only if there's a new VID that uses same style.

You should be able to safely remove all separately listed items falling under 0x152a or 0x20b1 VID because those are auto-detected. For my own kernels I've cleaned up that already. For upstream kernel I took more careful approach and delisted only the ones that I had at hand to test to be 100% sure.

Hi, thank you.  Does this mean NAA installed on debian running kernel 4.18 or later will support the Spring 2 DAC at DSD1024 natively?  That would be so amazing!

13 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

So the only place to get the non-Kitsune version of the DAC is from....... Kitsune?

In the US? Yes. In Europe there's magna hifi, in hong kong there is Wildism audio.

If you want to spare costs you could buy from taobao Chinese marketplace..

4 hours ago, Veri said:

In the US? Yes. In Europe there's magna hifi, in hong kong there is Wildism Audio.

Maybe someone can shed some light on why the Spring is rather expensive in Europe in comparison to the US?

Thanks

Matt