IGNORED

Extreme dual PC computer audio setup shootout between AudioLinux and Windows Server 2019

I’ve been exchanging ideas about computer audio improvements with my pals for a long while and recent he started doing some very serious shootout between the best of Linux today “AudioLinux” and “Windows Server 2019” with software optimizations.

I’ve been checking out in forums recently and it seems there’s only good thing about one thing and the another but never see anyone posting about direct competition. So I asked him if I can share his test results in website and he said it’s OK.

The test was performed with AudioLinux with the double PC. Server with Xeon optimized with Roon Server and music on NAS and the renderer on Celeron with Roon Bridge, both started by pen drive and then put in ram without disks in headless extreme mode.

Good sound tonally correct, but lacking body and less broad and deep, thin sound and long tiring, compared to my current type configuration based on a single PC with Windows Server 2019 core with the new JPLAY 7 and Fidelizer 8.2, NAS with MinimServer commanded by mConnect.

Sound warmer round, analog with more body and that projects you more in the sound event, in short, the sound of Linux I do not like. Put Linux both in ram has not had positive effects the sound of Linux is always exile, lack of harmonics compared to Windows.

This is a serious shootout in extreme dual PC setup environment. AudioLinux is only $50 and should do pretty well for its price. I hope the future of Linux-based OS will be bright for those who don’t mind paying for products and services in near future. :)

Happy Emm Labs/Viola/Karan/Rockport audiophile

Fidelizer - Feel the real sound http://www.fidelizer-audio.com

2 hours ago, TubeMan said:

hmm.
why am I not surprised !!

,,because You are selling windows optimization

For your information, I also sell "Linux optimizations" on digital audio players called Purist ROM. Should I sell Linux optimizations for PC too? Maybe I can build Purist OS for Roon Rock and AudioLinux or something along the line. :)

1 hour ago, Middy said:

3 times the cost, windows based and a free trial. Hopefully some one can compare both and give honest open feed back from the AL perspective. 

Simplicity v SQ

Value for money

Variety is good. ?

I asked about direct shootout before but no one came to reply so I asked around and found this. This is his opinion not mine and I believe he's honest about it.

I wish there'd be more dedicated Linux OS optimizations with more expensive price too and I hope we can get over the notion of Linux is free code soon. That'd be better than limiting cost of Windows software to compare.

18 minutes ago, Windows X said:

I asked about direct shootout before but no one came to reply so I asked around and found this. This is his opinion not mine and I believe he's honest about it.

Who is he? Phil? ? And Windows Server 2019?? Maybe you should ask in 2019 or 2020 again. Or better spend the $49 and give Audiolinux a try.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

Free really is for the love of it. People should be payed for thier work.

The main thread do some good work.

Each thread and other sites have there favourites as Pioneers buy and try. Its early days meandering for answers on this version of NUC/ Linux.

Nothing is set in stone and nobody deliberately misleading.  

OEMs should have no fears long term.

Room for everyone...

I do hope this is compared from the more experienced members, good or bad....

we all want good audio, the journey is a large part of the fun... i dont envy those who can but enjoy thier experience all the same.

That is free and well worth the admission....

Good luck friend..

?

2 hours ago, Holzohr said:

Who is he? Phil? ? And Windows Server 2019?? Maybe you should ask in 2019 or 2020 again. Or better spend the $49 and give Audiolinux a try.

For one thing, not manufacturer but passionate audiophile. And why should I spend another $50 when I can hear Pink Faun server with AudioLinux and HQPlayer installed here right now? ;)

1 hour ago, Middy said:

Free really is for the love of it. People should be payed for thier work.

The main thread do some good work.

Each thread and other sites have there favourites as Pioneers buy and try. Its early days meandering for answers on this version of NUC/ Linux.

Nothing is set in stone and nobody deliberately misleading.  

OEMs should have no fears long term.

Room for everyone...

I do hope this is compared from the more experienced members, good or bad....

we all want good audio, the journey is a large part of the fun... i dont envy those who can but enjoy thier experience all the same.

That is free and well worth the admission....

Good luck friend..

?

Glad to see someone finally point out the issue about free. Seriously, this board is all about hyping free or budget stuff ignoring all else and bash anyone who thinks otherwise. I said extreme dual PC setup for the reason and all we have for Linux side is AudioLinux which is $50 for one year or $149 with life time support.

I don't mind paying more if there is anything else better to pay for Linux platform. I also built some intensive optimizations myself but still prefer Windows and decided not to sell it though I'm sure it can massively improve Roon Rock, Daphile, AudioLinux, and many others like it did on various Android DAPs. :)

• 1 month later...

If this was posted from anyone other than the seller of Fidelizer it might carry some weight ...even as it is presented as a review by another...a "pal". This same "review" was posted over on the Roon Community forum.

BTW. The issue is not even whether the idea is true or not but about motivation and personal financial gain.

Windows X would have much more credibility by signing up for a Sponsored Forum where his position would be more transparent.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

On 12/5/2018 at 7:02 PM, Windows X said:

I’ve been exchanging ideas about computer audio improvements with my pals for a long while and recent he started doing some very serious shootout between the best of Linux today “AudioLinux” and “Windows Server 2019” with software optimizations.

I’ve been checking out in forums recently and it seems there’s only good thing about one thing and the another but never see anyone posting about direct competition. So I asked him if I can share his test results in website and he said it’s OK.

The test was performed with AudioLinux with the double PC. Server with Xeon optimized with Roon Server and music on NAS and the renderer on Celeron with Roon Bridge, both started by pen drive and then put in ram without disks in headless extreme mode.

Good sound tonally correct, but lacking body and less broad and deep, thin sound and long tiring, compared to my current type configuration based on a single PC with Windows Server 2019 core with the new JPLAY 7 and Fidelizer 8.2, NAS with MinimServer commanded by mConnect.

Sound warmer round, analog with more body and that projects you more in the sound event, in short, the sound of Linux I do not like. Put Linux both in ram has not had positive effects the sound of Linux is always exile, lack of harmonics compared to Windows.

This is a serious shootout in extreme dual PC setup environment. AudioLinux is only $50 and should do pretty well for its price. I hope the future of Linux-based OS will be bright for those who don’t mind paying for products and services in near future. :)

Hi WindowsX,

Any more of the details of the shoot out may be exposed?

I can see that 3 different computers were used, 2 for the dual AL PC and 1 for the WWin2019.  More descriptions of them are needed to comprehend the context.  Otherwise, that's never apple to apple.  

Given that PF2.16 uses AL and you use PF, the statement that "the sound of Linux is always exile, lack of harmonics compared to Windows." is not easy to harmonise.

Hi Keetakawee,

Ok I'm potentially interested.

How much is your Windows Ramroot offering?

Is there a trial option?

Is it server only or is there an endpoint option?

How big is the footprint as in how much RAM is needed to run solely in RAM?

Does it support Roon & LMS?

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

3 hours ago, greenleo said:

Hi WindowsX,

Any more of the details of the shoot out may be exposed?

I can see that 3 different computers were used, 2 for the dual AL PC and 1 for the WWin2019.  More descriptions of them are needed to comprehend the context.  Otherwise, that's never apple to apple.  

Given that PF2.16 uses AL and you use PF, the statement that "the sound of Linux is always exile, lack of harmonics compared to Windows." is not easy to harmonise.

A quick note to clarify some facts about the Pink Faun mentioned by WindowsX. 

The PF WindowsX uses is an early v2.12 unit sent to him from a customer that was looking for a change in sound with a different motherboard than the 2.16. Also it has a 3rd party JCAT card that is powered separately rather than PF's own output boards and no OCXO clocks on board. So it's a very different beast from the current 2.16 unit.

The OS is also different as the current PF AudioLinux version is optimised for the 8-core Rizen chip which was not present in the older 2.12 unit.

And, for better or worse, the PF is primarily designed to be a single box player (baring the super, 2 box, 2.16x version) rather than split into a server and endpoint with their corresponding issues. 

So as hinted that the PF2.12 (2-3 years old?) in a 2 box shoot-out with AL loaded is inferior to a single box Windows installation is not entirely fair as there are too many unknowns in the hardware combinations to make the comparison meaningful. 

1 hour ago, flkin said:

A quick note to clarify some facts about the Pink Faun mentioned by WindowsX. 

The PF WindowsX uses is an early v2.12 unit sent to him from a customer that was looking for a change in sound with a different motherboard than the 2.16. Also it has a 3rd party JCAT card that is powered separately rather than PF's own output boards and no OCXO clocks on board. So it's a very different beast from the current 2.16 unit.

The OS is also different as the current PF AudioLinux version is optimised for the 8-core Rizen chip which was not present in the older 2.12 unit.

And, for better or worse, the PF is primarily designed to be a single box player (baring the super, 2 box, 2.16x version) rather than split into a server and endpoint with their corresponding issues. 

So as hinted that the PF2.12 (2-3 years old?) in a 2 box shoot-out with AL loaded is inferior to a single box Windows installation is not entirely fair as there are too many unknowns in the hardware combinations to make the comparison meaningful. 

To be fair, I haven't shared my impressions about AudioLinux myself and everyone can make Windows Server 2019 VS AudioLinux shoot out and share their impressions too. I'd love to see more results of shootout because I tried to ask for one before and never see it.

Regards,

Keetakawee

1 hour ago, Windows X said:

If you're really interested in building server, please contact me privately. In public forums, I only want to share my experience and insights about computer audio that can be useful.

Hi Keewarakee,

Ok ignore the ramroot part but the rest of my questions stand.

I'm trying to keep an open mind but you posted a review saying WindowsX beats AL in a shootout and I"d like to understand whether I can attempt this same shootout myself.

Please advise on the remainder of my questions?

Many Thanks,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

3 hours ago, Windows X said:

But I later discovered one of better method than RAMOS. Making RAM Disk to contain audio apps and core Windows audio files can be quite effective and even better than RAMOS because it doesn't need to fetch RAM image of OS before loading first but can load core audio components from RAM directly. It even sound better than RAMOS concept as pure Windows environment. 

Ahhhh, did you read my thread in the forum and tested RAMdisk? Hahahahahaha. Just kidding. I was curious about your conclusions, because they are possibly the same ones I came to...

PS.: I don't use Fidelizer and I also don't use Windows Server 2019. I use Audiophile Optimizer on Windows Server 2016. Maybe I was one of the first to be able to make RAMdisk with Server 2016. I've tried and I can safely say: my current configuration is appreciably better than AudioLinux, although I haven't exhausted all possibilities. I don't know nothing about HQPlayer and Roon...

2 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Hi Keewarakee,

Ok ignore the ramroot part but the rest of my questions stand.

I'm trying to keep an open mind but you posted a review saying WindowsX beats AL in a shootout and I"d like to understand whether I can attempt this same shootout myself.

Please advise on the remainder of my questions?

Many Thanks,

Alan

That's his experience. I'm sure there's also people who found different outcome too. My point is simple. You compare between optimized Windows platform and Linux ones and share your results. It doesn't need to be Windows Server 2019. It doesn't need to use Fidelizer too. Just compareow you feel like and share in this thread. They all are opinions from different systems St different places. :)

Regards,

Keetakawee

1 hour ago, FelipeRolim said:

Ahhhh, did you read my thread in the forum and tested RAMdisk? Hahahahahaha. Just kidding. I was curious about your conclusions, because they are possibly the same ones I came to...

PS.: I don't use Fidelizer and I also don't use Windows Server 2019. I use Audiophile Optimizer on Windows Server 2016. Maybe I was one of the first to be able to make RAMdisk with Server 2016. I've tried and I can safely say: my current configuration is appreciably better than AudioLinux, although I haven't exhausted all possibilities. I don't know nothing about HQPlayer and Roon...

Sorry but I haven't read much in forums. I tried RAMOS in older days like with Windows Vista and Windows 7. I haven't attempted to do RAMOS again since then. Maybe I'll try again after I found a way to make it possible to make changes in RAMOS and feel free to share your feedback with other Linux platforms too. I'm sure many people are waiting for Windows VS Linux shootout so the more the merrier. :)

Regards,

Keetakawee

46 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Hi Keetakawee,

I know who you are and have a rough idea about your offerings as I seriously considered the Nmitra server a while back but in the end went with a different option.

So I am saying this respectfully because I appreciate what innovators like yourself bring to the market and I'm happy to see you succeed.

But with all due respect, you are making comments about AL being "good for the money", you were happy to point out on another thread that AL costs $49 for one year or $149 for lifetime support. And you're posting anonymous posts saying that a dedicated audiophile preferred your offering to AL in a shootout.

So I and others like me are intrigued and as such my questions stand as I'd like to assess whether it's practical for me to perform my own shootout without having to commit too much money. i.e. if there's a trial license and I don't need to buy too much hardware then I might try it for myself. As example a little more RAM would be fine but I don't want to buy another PSU. But without clear answers to my questions then frankly I'm not going to pursue it.

I am also slightly concerned though that you are being evasive in terms of answering my questions. And it seems a little off that you are willing to discuss a competitors pricing but want to take the conversation to PM when it comes to your own pricing.

So one last time. My questions stand if you care to answer them. Please forgive me for being so blunt but we are now into 'put up or shut up' territory because if you are not willing to answer basic questions that allow me to determine whether this is practical for me then I'm going to leave this thread and ignore it going forward. 

Thanks,

Alan

It's true that most people if not all audiophiles I come across prefer more expensive option like Windows Server license + AO + Fidelizer or maybe with dedicated Windows only player too. Most of them also told me AL did good job for its offering price as well.

If most audiophiles told me they prefer Linux ones, I'd share their opinions. I'm aware posting this will affect my standing and I gain nothing from it, lose some from it too but I seriously hope people to share their voice louder because we never have one in community until I decided to start this.

I'd love to see audiophiles sharing their findings about Windows and Linux shootout too myself. I don't really mind if Linux will sound better. I also work on Linux plstform too and will switch when I deem it's better enough and enjoy the music with my ultra high-end stereo systems.

For inquiry about my products, please send me an email and I'll answer your questions in full details. This isn't an appropriate place for me to answer your questions about my products. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Keetakawee

16 minutes ago, Windows X said:

For inquiry about my products, please send me an email and I'll answer your questions in full details. This isn't an appropriate place for me to answer your questions about my products. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Hi Keekatawee,

Sorry but this argument would stand up to scrutiny if it wasn't for the fact your making comments about AL and discussing Piero's pricing. You can't have it both ways.

I'm sorry but my patience is exhausted here and I'm mentally filing your postings a sour grapes. I'm unsubscribing from this thread as I'm out.

Cheers,

Alan

14 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Hi Keekatawee,

Sorry but this argument would stand up to scrutiny if it wasn't for the fact your making comments about AL and discussing Piero's pricing. You can't have it both ways.

I'm sorry but my patience is exhausted here and I'm mentally filing your postings a sour grapes. I'm unsubscribing from this thread as I'm out.

Cheers,

Alan

This is not related to your questions specifically asked about my products. And I only stated that AL has $50 for one year and $149 for lifetime support which is visible on their website as a reply to someone's post. I also answered that you can do free style shoot out with free trial licenses or anything you prefer at your own accord too.

I don't even know what is your point in this discussion anymore after reading this. You asked me questions that I request to answer as private conversation. If you aren't comfortable in doing that, we can drop this and move on.

Regards,

Keetakawee

12 hours ago, FelipeRolim said:

Can you explain how to do the WinS2016+AO in RAMDisk?   I have AO and then I can try a shoot out myself.