IGNORED

PlayClassics TRT Sound master file giveaway for CA members

4 hours ago, Mario Martinez said:

yes, we are giving out four albums for each Computer Audiophile member.

All you have to do is ask :)

Hello, Mario!  :)

I would love to hear the new calibration.  For the album of my choice, well, I have always loved the Goldberg Variations, and what I've heard of the Wolfram album online sounds excellent.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, phosphorein said:

Is there a preferred playback volume for this calibration, Mario?

Yes, It would be the same as before (like mansr pointed out)

You can use the old SPL file if you have it, if not, I will upload a new one so you can download it (because I think the old one is no longer on the server)

Mario Martínez

Recording Engineer and Music Producer

Play Classics, classical music at its best

35 minutes ago, Mario Martinez said:

Yes, It would be the same as before (like mansr pointed out)

You can use the old SPL file if you have it, if not, I will upload a new one so you can download it (because I think the old one is no longer on the server)

Sorry, I must have missed this. I would appreciate it if you could upload the SPL file and provide the link. Thanks much!

Here is something you might find interesting...

It is a paper on "Timbre Solfege" written by Tomasz Letowski from the U.S. Army Research Laboratory and Andrzej Miskiewicz from the Fryderyk Chopin University of Music.

The paper discusses the foundations of "Timbre Solfege" (a course in perceptual analysis of sound) and presents the current version of the course program from a perspective of over three decades of its existence in the sound engineering curriculum.

The interesting thing about this paper is realizing that the timbre we hear in every recording is not a direct product of the timbre of the physical instruments, but a product of the psychoacoustic abilities of the engineer that made that particular recording.

No matter how far technology goes (better mics, better preamps, better converters) there will always be a "black hole" on the recording chain that will prevent us from capturing the timbre of instruments "as is"

That "black hole" is located on the recording chain between the instruments and the mics and, according to this paper, the only instrument we have to restore its effects is the psychoacoustic abilities of the recording engineer himself.

But how can we be sure that work has been done properly?

There is no objective way to check that this work has been done properly. The only thing we can do (like the engineer did) is use our psychoacoustic ability to subjectly determine if the timbre sounds right to us, but in our case we have not even had the chance to hear the physical instrument.

Our research has to do with all this. The purpose of our work is to develop a methodology that will ensure we get the right timbre on the recording without the use of subjective evaluation.

Mario Martínez

Here is an update on how we are doing so far:

We have given out 23 codes (Thank all of you for participating on this)

About the free album, 8 people have made a choice:

Stories (3)

Chopin Polish Songs (3)

Goldberg Variations (1)

Ad astra (1)

You can choose your free album anytime, so please let me know when you decide which one you want.

The offer is still on, if you would like to try please say so and I will be happy to send you the codes :)

Mario Martínez

Hey Mario, 

i sent you a PM. 

My pic would be the Goldeberg Variations. 

(I love the tenor recording and guitar, but get a better sense of your recording technique with solo piano, me thinks) thanks ? 

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Hello, Mario

Please send me the codes as well. My fourth album choice is Conversations because De Quiros (or someone) put so much effort into getting Herrs Beethoven, Liszt, and Schubert to be civil, how could one not want to overhear how they get on together?

Thank you for making your offer available!

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

Here goes another update of how we are doing.

We have given out codes to 29 people so far.

This are the albums they have chosen:

Stories (6)

Chopin Polish Songs (3)

Conversations (1)

Goldberg Variation (2)

Ad Astra (1)

We are still giving out albums, all we want in exchange is your feedback. Your impressions are very helpful to us.

Mario Martínez

Here is some info that might be helpful in the evaluation of the different calibrations.

The purpose of our methodology is not to make each album sound as "good" as possible. If we wanted to do that we would not use one single calibration for all our albums. Instead we would master each album separately to obtain whichever sound we liked best. For example, say we are recording a small piano that has very little bass, we could compensate the recording to make it sound bigger. That is actually the standard procedure in any regular recording project.

The purpose of our methodology is to make each instrument sound as "truthful" as possible. That means portraying the timbre of each instrument "as is" with all its good and bad qualities. No instrument is perfect in every way, some have a glorious bass, others have beautiful treble, other rich mids, some sustain wonderfully; choosing an instrument is always a compromise.

When we developed calibration 2.0 we only had one piano to work with. We tried to be as objective as possible on the developing of our calibration but with only one instrument to run test with it was easy to be bias by the particularities of the instrument.

We were not aware of this when we presented 2.0. The recorded sound was so good we were convinced we had gotten it right. But running further tests made us realize that we could have unintentionally tweak the calibration in favor of that particular piano.

That is when we decided to get the new piano. We thought having two completely different instruments placed at two different spots on the stage would help us stay objective.

Running 2.0 over this new piano was an eye opener for us. It did not just confirm our suspicions but it also gave us immediate clues as to what was going on.

But fixing it proved much harder than hearing it. We spend a long time trying to fix what we knew was there but we did not manage to get it right. Every time we thought we had something we would test it against the old piano just to find out that we were being fooled again.

At some point (probably drawn by desperation) we wondered away from our initial philosophy and decided to use two different calibrations (2.0 for the old piano and 3.0 for the new piano) but that would have been wrong. It would have been just like mastering each album in a different way. Back then we convinced ourselves that this was the only way; we even came up with a good excuse that justified the use of these two different calibrations (that excused is explained on the 3.0 thread)

But some how (and with the help of some of you) we came back to our senses, we decided we would try it again, and this time we did manage to get something that worked on both pianos.

Mario Martínez

Here are some sketches that may be useful as a reference on your evaluation.

The blue area represents the stage. The person in red represents the mics.

The following sketch represents instrument placement for the old albums :

TRToldpiano.thumb.png.89964746124d38605737c7dc8b0d896d.png

- Debussy Preludes. Book 1.

- Chopin Polish Songs

- Iberia

- Songs of Paolo Tosti

- Cabrera plays Debussy

- Conversations

The black piano on the sketch represents the old piano:  a smaller size piano placed further back on the stage.

The following sketch represents instrument placement for the new albums:

TRTnewpiano.thumb.png.f27be22f70cb5469cd7b28b4203cf5f0.png

- An evening with Riera

- From Russia with love

- Mozart - Beethoven wind quintets

- Goldberg Variations

- Ad Astra

The brown piano represents the new piano:  a bigger size piano placed up front on the stage.

And these are the sketches for the classical guitar, drums, flamenco and strings:

TRTguitar.thumb.png.8305ca889ca69cea48fd8b8ad0ebd8ac.png

TRTdrums.thumb.png.049202cdf80750a8cf3e6f5d52eb4cda.png

TRTflamenco.thumb.png.2dc0e688ee0a9cabb1d4e5d7b5b164a1.png

TRTstrings.thumb.png.70c7ebd3b7a2d2e6fe1fef184a883d66.png

All these recordings have been done using the exact same setup: same hall configuration, same mic arrangement and position, same recording chain, same calibration.

The only thing that changes from one recording to another is the instruments themselves and their position on the stage.

Mario Martínez

Mario:  I would appreciate "Stories" as the free album.  Muchísima gracias!

p.s.  2 previous albums that I recommend to others are Debussy by Cabrera and Albéniz by Grané.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Mario:

I would love to get a code as well.  I have several of your older releases (they sound amazing to begin with) and will be interested in comparing the new sound.  For another album, I would like From Russia With Love -- big fan of piano transcriptions!

Thanks

If the calibration is right, what you see on the recordings should match what you see on the sketches.

In other words, all the instruments on all these recordings should be rendered by your systems in a way that their relative position to one another matches the position of the physical instruments on the stage.

Why is this important?

The "black hole" we were talking about before is the one responsible for the deformation of the spectrum of all recorded material. That deformation does not just affect timbre, it also affects depth, presence, balance, position, etc...

If you were to record several instruments (like we did) using a fixed two mic setup with no mixing, you would definitively be able to perceive the effects of this "black hole" on the sound of the raw takes.

As of today, the industry does not have a "mechanical" way to correct this (that is what we were talking about on the "timbre solfege" post). There is no known solution to this other than the engineer fixing it "by ear".

Our research project is about developing a methodology that will allow us to deal with this "black hole" in a more objective manner, but checking the quality of the results is still something that has to be done "by ear", which is what we are trying to do here with this giveaway.

Mario Martínez