IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

4 hours ago, jkelly said:

On that same update note...if my iPad running the Roon app says there is an Roon update - and I agree to update, will that update the RoonServer on Audiolinux? Or do I have to go to the audiolinux 2 menu and update there?

Yes, you can update Roon from within the app while running AL. Make sure you Save System if running in ram. 

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • 2 months later...

could someone explain to me the steps to use squeezelite player, as i think i may not be in possession of all the info.

I'm running AL, server + endpoint.  i enable squeezeplayer mode via the roon app (in settings). then, on the endpoint, AL Audio menu, i enable squeezeplayer and select DAC as 'FRONT' which refers to mscaler.

But the squeezeplayer end point is never found in Roon, it always just shows a searching screen.

Is there something more I need to do on the server?  I though I saw something about specifying the server name on the endpoint but i haven't seen how to do that.

Also could someone briefly say what the difference between 'ram' and 'zram' is.  I've split my 16 GB up as 4 RAM, 12 ZRAM, then i tried to copy over my roon database but it was saying it was 7 GB (can that be right ? 12000 songs).  But after, I think AL does not run in RAM on the server anymore, is it because theres not enough RAM to hold the Roon database?

• 8 months later...

Here are the results:

[audiolinux@raspberry ~]$ df -H
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
dev             2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /dev
run             2.1G  537k  2.1G   1% /run
/dev/mmcblk0p2   16G  4.7G   11G  32% /
tmpfs           2.1G     0  2.1G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           4.2M     0  4.2M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           2.1G     0  2.1G   0% /tmp
/dev/mmcblk0p1  105M   45M   60M  43% /boot
tmpfs           403M     0  403M   0% /run/user/1000
[audiolinux@raspberry ~]$ 

Sorry but I don’t know what I should be looking at. My Pi 4 has 4 gb memory. 

Thanks

I reinstalled and got it too the 2.7 Gb. I configured as 1000 and 3000. Still shows as not running but configured.  On my NUC when booting with a monitor I saw an option to load to ram. I am running headless on the pi.  Is it showing this menu and I just miss it as I have no monitor connected? If so, can it be forced to load. Maybe 4 Gb is not enough. Sounds great in anycase.

You could try first this configuration in /etc/ramroot.conf

#!usr/bin/ash

# mounts loaded to zram:
mounts_zram=''

# mounts ignored:
mounts_null=''

# prompt default:
ps_default=no

# prompt timout:
ps_timeout=5

# minimum Mb free ram:
ram_min=300

# minimum Mb free zram:
zram_min=300

# preferred Mb free ram:
ram_pref=500

# maximum Mb free ram:
zram_max=500

This way the iminum used RAM is 300 Mb and the minimum free space on zram virtual drive is 300 Mb

If the used space is 2.7 GB you will have a minimum used RAM total of 3.3 Gb and a maximum > 3.7 GB

After clean system

yay -Scc --noconfirm

disable ramroot
ramroot -D
reboot and re-enable it
ramroot -E

reboot

If nothing is working and you don't need to compile drivers or some application you can remove gcc and kernel headers:

yay -R linux-raspberrypi4-rt-headers gcc --noconfirm

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

• 3 months later...

Hi everybody. I'm new to the forum and to AudioLinux and I've just finished reading through this topic.

Thanks to the info contained here I've manage to install AL on my NUC and I'm using it as a NAA endpoint for HQPlayer desktop running on another machine. I've disabled literally everything I could in the BIOS (including Intel Speed Step, Hyper Threading and Turbo Boost), remove M2 and SSD drives and I'm able to RamRoot from a USB Pendrive.

I have few question though and I'm sure someone can help me answering them:

1 - I'm using a NUC7i5BNK with 8GB Ram in an Akasa Plato X7 case that I was using until now to run Roon Rock. Almost everyone here seems to use either the Celeron version or the NUC7i7. Is my NUC "sub-optimal" for whatever reason as a AL endpoint?

2 - I'm still using the stock PSU but I've read about the benefits of a good linear psu. I'm thinking about ordering a Paul Hynes SR4 (or I can stretch to a SR4T if the performance increase are worth). I see that a lot of you try to power the Nuc with a 12V psu instead that a 19V one. Is there a reason for that? Which one do you recommend me to get?

3 - How do you use the Realtime Test in AL menu? Is it a good metric to tell if you're config is moving in the right direction? I noticed that the first time I run it i always get better values something like Min:2, Act:2, Avg: 2, Max: 9. What should I aim for?

4 - In Show Configuration I see an entry that states: Network Priority Disabled. What is that about? Is it worth looking into it? Where do I start?

On 1/29/2021 at 7:42 PM, glitchesbrew said:

1 - I'm using a NUC7i5BNK with 8GB Ram in an Akasa Plato X7 case that I was using until now to run Roon Rock. Almost everyone here seems to use either the Celeron version or the NUC7i7. Is my NUC "sub-optimal" for whatever reason as a AL endpoint?

2 - I'm still using the stock PSU but I've read about the benefits of a good linear psu. I'm thinking about ordering a Paul Hynes SR4 (or I can stretch to a SR4T if the performance increase are worth). I see that a lot of you try to power the Nuc with a 12V psu instead that a 19V one. Is there a reason for that? Which one do you recommend me to get?

Anyone that wants to chime in about this two points? I'm about to place an order for an SR4T. Pretty please! 😛

I used a PH SR4 19 with my i7 NUC naa. Back in the day haha, romaz kicked off the novel way to improve SQ thread using 19v on his i7 NUC naa so that is what I used. Did not notice any improvement using 12v and using the lower voltage settings makes the PH 19 run warmer. I seem to remember the the general feeling was 19v was more dynamic. You should read the earlier section of "how to massively improve the sq thread, link below.

On 2/2/2021 at 6:57 AM, glitchesbrew said:

My impression was that a great linear PSU paired with a wisely tweaked NUC7 was sort of state of the art. Now I'm curious :)

Like dctom stated every system is different,
I started with the high powered nuc powered by an LPs 12V, then added an endpoint (Allo bridge) powered also by the LPS (7V) there was an improvement, Allo stopped supporting some DACs on their old kernel so replaced the endpoint by a Celeron Nuc (12 V) sounded subjectively like the Allo, maybe not as good, replaced the whole system by a single high powered computer and sounded like the Allo maybe a little better, this PC without the LPS but the HDplex Atx power supply so that's what I'm running now, I think the USB shielding quality on a good motherboard surpasses the USB on the Nuc and IMO that makes more of a difference, I was planning to power the PC with an SR7DR but still waiting on that.

Let me say this, in my system and IMO the change I made that makes most of a difference keeping of course speakers Dac and Amp the same, it is HQPlayer, that have made more difference than power supplies and nucs, with the high powered computer I have access to "better" resampling. YMMV

6 minutes ago, luisma said:

Let me say this, in my system and IMO the change I made that makes most of a difference keeping of course speakers Dac and Amp the same, it is HQPlayer, that have made more difference than power supplies and nucs, with the high powered computer I have access to "better" resampling. YMMV

Thanks @luisma. I think the rest of my system is very transparent detailed.

I the Nuc is connected to an RME ADI-2 fs in Direct DSD. Then it goes into a Freya+ preamp and a Benchmark AHB2, and finally to a pair of Harbeth P3ESR 40th. If I use the freya+ in passive or jfet I hear absolutely no noise from the speakers (even with my ear against them). And well recorded music comes out with tons of details without brightness.

I run HQPlayer from a Mac Mini M1 upsampling to DSD256 with the new ASDM7EC modulators. As you say the improvement that HQPlayer is bringing to the game is massive. I feel it's like having a new DAC. But reading these topic, and others on AS I felt like I was missing out since it seems that good linear power supplies are the real deal.

5 hours ago, glitchesbrew said:

Thanks @luisma. I think the rest of my system is very transparent detailed.

I the Nuc is connected to an RME ADI-2 fs in Direct DSD. Then it goes into a Freya+ preamp and a Benchmark AHB2, and finally to a pair of Harbeth P3ESR 40th. If I use the freya+ in passive or jfet I hear absolutely no noise from the speakers (even with my ear against them). And well recorded music comes out with tons of details without brightness.

I run HQPlayer from a Mac Mini M1 upsampling to DSD256 with the new ASDM7EC modulators. As you say the improvement that HQPlayer is bringing to the game is massive. I feel it's like having a new DAC. But reading these topic, and others on AS I felt like I was missing out since it seems that good linear power supplies are the real deal.

Over here most NUCs sound better powered at 19 volts. The 19 volt Paul Hynes Designs SR4 or SR4Ts work well, as do the Hdplex linear power supplies. I have several customers using the stock Intel power supply with 5 volt lps powered monoprice fiber USB cables with great success.

Recently I built a NUC with an Adnaco single SFP+ port and Adnaco USB remote.  This machine uses an high speed SDcard for boot and micro SDcards or USB HDDs for music storage depending on library size. SQ is terrific running Roon/Audiolinux.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio