IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

22 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

Last kernel update from 4.19.x needs a full system update. I have added the recommandation to kernel update script. 

In your situation you can try to revert to original network configuration using the option in main menu and reboot. 

Thx for the suggestion. I tried it but did not help unfortunately. 

7 minutes ago, ronfint said:

I know very little about coding, but in similar situations

ip link set interface up

has worked for me. (Replace 'interface' with its name such as enp4s0.) Good luck.

Thanks I will try it when back at my desk.

On 10/2/2019 at 4:55 PM, hifi25nl said:

Audiolinux 2.0 is coming 1st November with an increased price (not too much...)
Until 30 October there is a SPECIAL OFFER:
1) You will have the possibility of buying at the old price of 49 $ for the first subscription
2) All users with a subscription will have to pay 25 $ for downloading Audiolinux 2.0, but before 30 October this payment will add a year to the subscription. For example, if you have already bought it (or added extra year) in March your new subscription will stop in March 2021!
3) It is also possible to change from yearly to unlimited time support paying the difference of only 50 $
-> Note that all passwords will be reset from 1st November to a different system and next menu updates will be also password protected. Please allow up to 24 Hours to set personal password
If in doubt contact support!

------

New menu version 125  is out with

1) Switch from yaourt to a special version of pamac for install/update, since yaourt is not developed any more

2) Some fixes to kernel installation script

Can you tell us a bit more about version 2.0? Are there big changes/improvements (being) made or are they smaller and incremental ones like today? I’m assuming the 1.x train will no longer be updated from 1st November?

2 hours ago, ferenc said:

While I was trying to upgrade to the latest Kernel two days ago, it seems I lost my two Ethernet ports. 

The upgrade was extremely slow, it has taken more than 8 hours with no end and I switched my PC off. Since rebooting I could not use the Ethernet ports, none if the two I have. tried to reboot it normal and fallback mode but no success. 

Any suggestion for a quick solution?

I am using the PC only as NAA and Roon Bridge. No internal storage at all, only booting from a USB 3.1 64 GB stick. 

Many thanks. 

I would download latest image and flash it to USB stick.

Hi guys, i have some troubles to refresh my external usb HD disk with music, connected to my server (running AL in RAM mode). Sometimes the disc is unread (almost always) and sometimes -the less- works, when i plig and unplug several times. Have to do with RAMboot ? I use 16 gB of RAM for the server...help !!! 

"Remember that in RAM mode all changes will not be saved unless you select SAVE system in this menu
The file /etc/fstab will not be saved even with SAVE system, so if you want to mount some drive, please disable ramroot first
In general you should enable ramroot only as the last setting if your system is fully configured and working"

How to disable ramroot and check hard disk mount: 

1) Boot answering N to ramroot boot prompt

2) Disable ramroot

3) Reboot

4) Check your /etc/fstab content with file editor root in the main menu. For remote mount you must allow some time at boot, since the mount will start only after network is up and working.

--> Plugging and unplugging a drive when system is up, will probably generate errors that should be fixed with a drive check

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

On 10/12/2019 at 5:48 AM, hifi25nl said:

"Remember that in RAM mode all changes will not be saved unless you select SAVE system in this menu
The file /etc/fstab will not be saved even with SAVE system, so if you want to mount some drive, please disable ramroot first
In general you should enable ramroot only as the last setting if your system is fully configured and working"

How to disable ramroot and check hard disk mount: 

1) Boot answering N to ramroot boot prompt

2) Disable ramroot

3) Reboot

4) Check your /etc/fstab content with file editor root in the main menu. For remote mount you must allow some time at boot, since the mount will start only after network is up and working.

--> Plugging and unplugging a drive when system is up, will probably generate errors that should be fixed with a drive check

Thanks, will try it that way !

Ok got a problem with AL on my server.

Eveything was working fine but now Roon doesn't see anymore the server.

My routeur see the server and the DCS network bridge connected through the server.

I can play around with audiolinux and changing parameters.

I did all the update possible , reinstall Roon server.....

It is not seen by Roon remote ... cannot connect to the server.

So AL is nice but without changing anything....suddenly no way to use it....

14/10/2019 IMPORTANT notice about update (see the site)

The updating in Audiolinux is done with
1) Audiolinux menu
2) Kernel. This is compiled by audiolinux with some changes if necessary (Note: A full system update could be necessary)
3) System update, not controlled by Audiolinux. This is normal Archlinux update. We cannot store packages in a private server for a "clean" update, because of copyright problems.
A normal user does not need to make a system update. Audiolinux menu update is enough
Audiolinux will release a new version every 2 months with full package update, if the user want to reinstall an updated OS.
Single packages like HQPlayer, Roon and some other can be updated in Console without problems with the command
yaourt -Sy package-name
(with menu 126
pamac build package-name
)

Taking into consideration what is reported above, the last system update from version 1.5.0 is problematic for normal users. ...And also kernel update will not work correctly without a system update.
This is a normal occurrence in linux "rolling release" like Audionlinux/Archlinux,  especially if not updated frequently , it is not relative to a bug in Audiolinux scripts. 

Linux expert users could fix this, other should wait Audiolinux version 2.0 coming the 1st November or stay with version 1.5.0 

A more clear disclaimer will be added to the next Audiolinux menu.

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, dctom said:

Anyone tried the new AL 4.0 ?

Bit confused by the license  - is it a one off payment or a subscription.

Audiolinux lxqt 1 year support with image $59

Audiolinux lxqt unlimited time support $ 119

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Hi @hifi25nl or all,

I'm really struggling with AL 2.1 to set up a stable Roon Server.

Have tried several attempts now at burning fresh AL image on SD card, inserting in NUC, doing basic setup (renaming device, updating menus/system/kernal etc) enable Roon Server.

Restoring Roon DB fails and then letting Roon try to build a new DB similarly fails. NUC itself is fine, AL menu is accessible via Putty but Roon keeps getting really flakey and then sits at "Initialising" on the Roon app on  my phone.

I was wondering if there was something unstable in 2.1 itself but I think it might be a partition/storage question.

I'm using a 32GB SD. Here are the results of DF:

image.thumb.png.23c6208ad4b66273cc9f9e073546b630.png

That dev/sda2 at 100% is now my main suspect. Is the Roon DB running out of space?

Assuming this is the issue then how do I make this partition bigger? Ideally NOT using GParted as tried that before and was too complicated for me.

Here are the Rufus settings I tried. Or how do I change this on the menu?

image.png.f0eacc25b938ec14ba30c57644e1dbac.png

Many Thanks,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

@BigAlMc -- i ran into this problem, too.  you're out of space on the usb stick. the issue is that you have to extend the partition to make it use ram properly.

here's what worked for me:

* make a new stick

* start AL

* load system to ramroot (menu > 2 system menu > 12 ramroot enable/disable)

* reboot and load system into ram

* resize the AL partition (menu > 2 system menu > 6 resize AL partition)

* save system

* reboot, but don't load to ram

* complete remainder of set up

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
2 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

With 100% used space your system cannot possibly work... 

You should make an USB stick with Audiolinux lxqt or Ubuntu, boot from that installation, launch gparted (with graphical interface not parted) and resize the ext4 partition. 

Thanks Pierro,

So at least my main suspect has been verified.

Is there a way on a windows laptop to set or change this partition size? Perhaps using Rufus or Ethcher etc?

I specifically want to avoid using GParted but could create an Ubuntu boot image as last resort.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

@hifi25nl -- i updated the menu, system, and kernel in my system.  the AL main menu shows 208, but the splash menu still shows 2.0.  did i actually update to 2.1?  do i need to do a new stick?

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
4 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

@BigAlMc -- i ran into this problem, too.  you're out of space on the usb stick. the issue is that you have to extend the partition to make it use ram properly.

here's what worked for me:

* make a new stick

* start AL

* load system to ramroot (menu > 2 system menu > 12 ramroot enable/disable)

* resize the AL partition (menu > 2 system menu > 6 resize AL partition)

* save system

* reboot, but don't load to ram

* complete remainder of set up

Thanks @jcn3,

That's interesting and more my speed.

I kinda tried that but did it all in Ram mode after changing to Ram boot.

Will give it a go unless an easier suggestion comes up.

Cheers,

Alan