Jump to content
rickca

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

 

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

 

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

 

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

 

  "First Run" setup for headless.  

 

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

 

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

 

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

 

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

 

su

 

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

 

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago
 

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

 

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

 

Now Start the daemon

 

timedatectl set-ntp true

 

 

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.
 

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

 

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 
 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

 

exit

menu

 

----------------------------------

 

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

 

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

 

11 Reboot

 

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

 

  • You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server
  • .....

 

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

 

 

Message added by austinpop

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Narcissus said:
Returning After an 8 month hiatus from everything audio, I have downloaded the latest links (headless & lxqt) from Piero but I'm struggling to copy it on the USB stick. If anyone's posted a link on how to do this (Mac specific) please point me towards it. Anyone have success copying the img with Etcher?
 
I use a Mac book pro as a server and plan on using the Celeron NuC as headless endpoint.
 
 
 
 

 

Please do as described here:

http://www.audio-linux.com/html/mac.html - just replace with your image and disk.

Etcher didn't work for me, and I am not sure it may work for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried, Piero sent me that link yesterday. But somehow I’m dragging my feet on the first step itself :(.. I’ve done it before on the  early AL 220.img file successfully but being away for 8-9 months I seem to be doing something wrong...

 

I need to get the first step right and then everything will fall into place or so I believe (fings crossed :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see. You should put image in the folder and make this folder accessible to Terminal. Honestly I don't remember how I did it, maybe google will help here. As a result, in folder menu you should see "open in Terminal", go from here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I see. You should put image in the folder and make this folder accessible to Terminal. Honestly I don't remember how I did it, maybe google will help here. As a result, in folder menu you should see "open in Terminal", go from here.

No it is simpler

 

Etcher does it all.  I will create a short screen video.

 

Plug in USB stick, run etcher, select download, select USB, select write....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @AnotherSpin and @bobfafor replying, that would be very helpful Bob looking forward to it.

 

Btw, Piero was able to troubleshoot  the problem e.g. the original file was 

audiolinux_350.img not audiolinux_350.img.gz, this is because unfortunately mac had decompressed the file after downloading it.

 

In any case, the latest versions of headless 1.5.0 and lxqt 3.6.0 are to be released today, so I might as well wait a few hrs & get those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bobfa said:

No it is simpler

 

Etcher does it all.  I will create a short screen video.

 

Plug in USB stick, run etcher, select download, select USB, select write....

 

Etcher didn't work for me on two macs... It was ok for Euphony, not for AL in my system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the basic settings everyone's using on Lxqt? I have 

 

15. SET realtime priority to extreme

21. SET Cpu governor.... ( set to Intel pstate as my MBP has a 2.9ghz Intel core  i7 cpu)

 

Also In "option 4. Realtime expert config"  what is everyone using? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi - I hope everyone is enjoying the music🙂

 While we’re on the subject of formatting USB drives for AL. 

 I have yet to make a back up of my AL system on a new USB drive.    I know there is an option in the menus for a back up drive. 

 Do I have to format the drive first? Or does the menu option do everything for you? 

 

 I am also not remembering how to format the drive If required?

 

 There was also a recommendation for a minimum speed USB drive. What is the recommendation for the drive?  Is it 32GB we are using?

 

 I have a scandisk USB drive that I use and it gets very hot is this typical? 

 

Thank you

Please enjoy your day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

 

I am new to Audiolinux. My AL setup as follows;

 

Roon Server

HQPLAYER

Ramroot

3 Cores for Audio

Odd song loaded into memory.

 

So here’s my question, How do I remove/tune AL programs or services I don’t actually need? Or is best to just leave alone?

 

thanks in advance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, very few services are running. Installed applications that are not running have no impact on sound.

A possibility is to enable 4 "Realtime expert configuration" in expert menu because there is an option that will disable the watchdog if you remove # in front of the lines:

 

echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/watchdog
echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/nmi_watchdog

 

As a side note, most probably most of the options in that file will be set to default in the next Audiolinux version.

 


AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2019 at 9:57 AM, drjimwillie said:

Hi - I hope everyone is enjoying the music🙂

 While we’re on the subject of formatting USB drives for AL. 

 I have yet to make a back up of my AL system on a new USB drive.    I know there is an option in the menus for a back up drive. 

 Do I have to format the drive first? Or does the menu option do everything for you? 

 

 I am also not remembering how to format the drive If required?

 

 There was also a recommendation for a minimum speed USB drive. What is the recommendation for the drive?  Is it 32GB we are using?

 

 I have a scandisk USB drive that I use and it gets very hot is this typical? 

 

Thank you

Please enjoy your day

I would like to bump this question again please. 

 When I use the AL menu function to create a back up thumb drive, do I need to format it first? 

 If I do, how do I format the thumb drive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To avoid problems in upgrading from kernel 4.19.x to 5.2.x, I suggest, when updating the kernel, to go to Audiolinux update menu and


1) System update (before was update all other packages)
2) Roon update (this is because roon is distributing the linux package without build number)
3) Update kernel
4) Select Clean on the main menu
5) Reboot


AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just installed a 16GB optane m.2 drive.

I used the clone feature, and it worked smoothly (thanks to Paolo sending me an image created with a 16GB rather than 32GB stick).  

AL startup time into RAM is 1'10".

I do not expect better sound (although I could deactivate the usb ports) but it is quite convenient.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Audio Linux user here. Purchased and installed AL LXQt about two weeks ago. Sorry for the length of this but wanted to share my experience in hopes of getting advice and encourage new users that is relatively easy to do.

 

Everything has gone fairly well with a few lessons learned items along the way. I run HQP 4 Desktop and Roon Server on this server. Output is via fiber optic NIC to an opticalModule and then to microRendu (HQP NAA).

 

I used Win32DiskImager to create the USB boot flash drive. Then used my Ubuntu Studio installation for the second part of repartitioning ext4 using gparted. No problems.

 

I originally was booting from a USB flash drive until I had my music server upgraded to 16MB RAM (up from 4MB) last week so now I am successfully running in Ram Root mode. (FYI - Roon database is 3 GB). Also, removed my internal SSD so everything is booting/running off USB drive.

 

For the Roon database, I had been doing automatic backup to my NAS. I copied one of the backups to a separate USB flash drive which took some time with a 3GB database. Once AL was up and running, I used my iPad (Roon remote) to connect to the new Roon server (core). Using the Roon menus (Settings > Backups), I pointed to the backup files on the USB flash drive and everything was updated which again took some time with a 3GB file.

 

One question: I was updating the kernel and was presented with two choices, one being the BFQ. Initially I installed the non-BFQ version but when reading through the documentation, seems that I should be using the BFQ version so I installed that version. Can anyone provide suggestions as to which version I should be using?

 

Some of the lessons learned have been associated with the Realtime Priority settings.

 

Lesson 1:
Given that I use Roon as a front-end to HQP, the documentation suggested that HQP be listed first and that Roon could be removed from the RTAPP list (well that was my intreptation at least). First off, the list )see below) is not correct if you are using HQP 4 Desktop:

 

APPLICATIONS="jackd mpd hqplayer hqplayerd RoonAppliance RoonBridge sox mediacenter24 networkaudiod deadbeef a2jmidid ardour-5.12.0 rosegarden audacity"

 

Need to replace "hqplayer" with "hqplayer4desktop".

 

I had removed RoonAppliance from the list for which Roon was NOT happy and non-responsive so I added it back in front of hqplayer4desktop and everyone seems happy now. I might swap the order of HQP and Roon at some point but for now everyone seems happy including me listening to music.

 

Lesson 2:
For the RTIRQ configuration, the fiber optic NIC is the main output device so I had changed per suggestions in the documentation:

 

RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="usb" to RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="enp3s0"

 

This made my USB ports unhappy to the point they all shutdown and became unresponsive.

 

Changed to RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="enp3s0 usb" and everyone is happy again.

 

The journey continues but that is all for now. Any and all suggestions are welcome noting that I am not looking to go to the nth degree on this and pretty happy where everything sits at least for now.

 


Eric


Ubuntu Studio Linux box (i5, 4 cores, 16GB RAM, Roon, HQP) > fiber optic > MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+ > fiber optic > opticalRendu (HQP NAA) > Holo Cyan (DSD version) > Goldpoint passive preamp > Nord One UP NC500MB mono blocks > Klipsch La Scala

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am watching the temperatures in AL and see:

      temp1:           +56.0°C      
      x Package id 0:  +34.0°C  (high = +101.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)     
      x Core 0:        +27.0°C  (high = +101.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
      x Core 1:        +28.0°C  (high = +101.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)                        
      x Core 2:        +28.0°C  (high = +101.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)                        
      x Core 3:        +28.0°C  (high = +101.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)                                             
      x Core 4:        +29.0°C  (high = +101.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)                                            
      x Core 5:        +29.0°C  (high = +101.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)                                         
      x Core 6:        +34.0°C  (high = +101.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)                                      
      x Core 7:        +30.0°C  (high = +101.0°C, crit = +115.0°C) 
                                   

Anyone knows what 'temp1' and 'Package id 0' temperatures refer to?


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bodiebill said:

I now think 'Package id 0' is the highest core temp.

Maybe temp1 is the mobo temp?

My understanding is that temp1 is the PCH.

 

Package id 0 is from the heat spreader above the cores, so it is likely to be the highest core temp.

 

On some NUCs the temp of the WiFi card will show up as well.


nuckleheadaudio.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, in that case temperatures look fine using HQPe DSD256 with EC modulator: CPU from 35 (DSD orig.) to 60 (PCM 192 orig.) and PCH around 60. 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Thanks, in that case temperatures look fine using HQPe DSD256 with EC modulator: CPU from 35 (DSD orig.) to 60 (PCM 192 orig.) and PCH around 60. 

Yep, those temps won't damage anything.


nuckleheadaudio.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 11:45 AM, ericuco said:

New Audio Linux user here. Purchased and installed AL LXQt about two weeks ago. Sorry for the length of this but wanted to share my experience in hopes of getting advice and encourage new users that is relatively easy to do.

 

Everything has gone fairly well with a few lessons learned items along the way. I run HQP 4 Desktop and Roon Server on this server. Output is via fiber optic NIC to an opticalModule and then to microRendu (HQP NAA).

 

I used Win32DiskImager to create the USB boot flash drive. Then used my Ubuntu Studio installation for the second part of repartitioning ext4 using gparted. No problems.

 

I originally was booting from a USB flash drive until I had my music server upgraded to 16MB RAM (up from 4MB) last week so now I am successfully running in Ram Root mode. (FYI - Roon database is 3 GB). Also, removed my internal SSD so everything is booting/running off USB drive.

 

For the Roon database, I had been doing automatic backup to my NAS. I copied one of the backups to a separate USB flash drive which took some time with a 3GB database. Once AL was up and running, I used my iPad (Roon remote) to connect to the new Roon server (core). Using the Roon menus (Settings > Backups), I pointed to the backup files on the USB flash drive and everything was updated which again took some time with a 3GB file.

 

One question: I was updating the kernel and was presented with two choices, one being the BFQ. Initially I installed the non-BFQ version but when reading through the documentation, seems that I should be using the BFQ version so I installed that version. Can anyone provide suggestions as to which version I should be using?

 

Some of the lessons learned have been associated with the Realtime Priority settings.

 

Lesson 1:
Given that I use Roon as a front-end to HQP, the documentation suggested that HQP be listed first and that Roon could be removed from the RTAPP list (well that was my intreptation at least). First off, the list )see below) is not correct if you are using HQP 4 Desktop:

 

APPLICATIONS="jackd mpd hqplayer hqplayerd RoonAppliance RoonBridge sox mediacenter24 networkaudiod deadbeef a2jmidid ardour-5.12.0 rosegarden audacity"

 

Need to replace "hqplayer" with "hqplayer4desktop".

 

I had removed RoonAppliance from the list for which Roon was NOT happy and non-responsive so I added it back in front of hqplayer4desktop and everyone seems happy now. I might swap the order of HQP and Roon at some point but for now everyone seems happy including me listening to music.

 

Lesson 2:
For the RTIRQ configuration, the fiber optic NIC is the main output device so I had changed per suggestions in the documentation:

 

RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="usb" to RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="enp3s0"

 

This made my USB ports unhappy to the point they all shutdown and became unresponsive.

 

Changed to RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="enp3s0 usb" and everyone is happy again.

 

The journey continues but that is all for now. Any and all suggestions are welcome noting that I am not looking to go to the nth degree on this and pretty happy where everything sits at least for now.

 

The BFQ kernel sounds better here.


nuckleheadaudio.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lmitche said:

The BFQ kernel sounds better here.

 

To my ears the non-BFQ kernel sounds better. Less strident/tiring, more analogue.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not sure if this was here and i missed it, but i'll note that i failed to get a USB stick working with the AL headless image when i used a 16G usb stick with my 7i7 NUC, 16G ram and 32G m.2 optane.

i kept getting caught at:

 

ERROR:  device 'PARTUUID=..............' not found, skipping fsck

 

when i used a larger usb stick, audiolinux loaded fine.

seems like 32G is minimum size USB stick needed (I used a much larger one successfully as I didn't have a 32G around)

 

objective is music tomorrow (too late tonight)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cat6man said:

not sure if this was here and i missed it, but i'll note that i failed to get a USB stick working with the AL headless image when i used a 16G usb stick with my 7i7 NUC, 16G ram and 32G m.2 optane.

i kept getting caught at:

 

ERROR:  device 'PARTUUID=..............' not found, skipping fsck

 

when i used a larger usb stick, audiolinux loaded fine.

seems like 32G is minimum size USB stick needed (I used a much larger one successfully as I didn't have a 32G around)

 

objective is music tomorrow (too late tonight)

 

The same here, I use 32GB USB sticks with headless AL to boot NUC. Nevertheless, you may want to erase/format 16GB stick if you want to try installation again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...