IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

i also had no problems booting from usb stick, and loading to ram while running roon server.  used 32g stick and my nuc has 16g of ram.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

When I did my server build I said I would publish more of the setup process.  I have not done that.  Here is just the uncleaned up section for building the basic Optane Roon stick.

After the hardware is all installed boot from a USB stick with the latest AL headless.  Follow just the section in @austinpoppost below that builds the partitions the Optane stick.  (The rest of what he did here is now automated in Audiolinux menus.)

Then return back into the menu system and run #14 to Copy /Backup the current install to another drive.

After that is done shut down and remove the USB stick.  Then you can power up from the Optane boot.

When you get into the menu, then select #1 configuration  menu and select #5 that will transfer the Roon database to another drive which would be the second partition on the Optane.

Here is what my server booted into RAM with an external drive for music looks like:

Welcome to

AUDIOLINUX HEADLESS

version 1.0

https://www.audio-linux.com

[email protected]

For configuration menu type "menu"

For poweroff type "sudopoweroff"

For reboot type "sudo reboot"

[audiolinux@FairXeon ~]$ lsblk

NAME        MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT

sda          8:0    0  7.3T  0 disk

└─sda1        8:1    0  7.3T  0 part /media/BobMusic

zram0       254:0    0   15G  0 disk /

nvme0n1     259:0    0 27.3G  0 disk

├─nvme0n1p1 259:1    0  488M  0 part /boot

└─nvme0n1p2 259:2    0 26.8G  0 part

[audiolinux@FairXeon ~]$

@bobfa -- just realized your boot issues were more complicated and associated with your server build.  my comment clearly added no value!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
3 hours ago, bobfa said:

Tapatrick

I am thinking you may have a couple of problems here.  

1.   Trying to run Roon Server out of only 4GB of RAM. 

2.   I have not seen others run  Roon Server off of a USB stick and them loading into RAM.  

When I built my server I boot off of an Optane SSD and then load into RAM.  During setup, I moved the Roon Database to a separate partition on the Optane.  The music is on an external drive.

Thanks  @bobfa Maybe I should clarify as I'm not understanding what you are pointing to.  

See my signature below: My AL roonserver is running in Ramboot and is very stable, it has 16gb RAM. I tried pulling the USB stick out when loaded in RAM several weeks ago and it hung. I haven't tried it since as I'm happy with how it all sounds and works. I have my end point running in ram too with the usb stick out as this is where I notice the difference. 

As I mentioned I have my roon database on the server USB stick (64gb) and I have a regular auto save. I wasn't planning on getting any extra drives as I only stream from Tidal/Qobuz. I have a drive with local music but gave up on this some time ago as I much prefer streaming for SQ and convenience.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

On 2/10/2019 at 1:22 PM, Dutch said:

It’s a SR7EHD MR4 and the 8A high power ouput regulator module is malfunctioning and needs replacement. I don’t know the cause or what’s wrong with it exactly. All I know is my i7  6700T music server connected to it started acting up end of last year and its output voltage had dropped to around 10.5V. Couldn’t get it back up to 12V using the potmeter (got to about 11.6) but it became more and more unstable. Today I got my old HDplex 12/19v (v1) PSU back into the system as the server either didn’t boot completely or rebooted after minutes. I’m now waiting for Hynes to send me a replacement module.

Which DC-DC ATX you are using. Does SR7 gets hot when you use it with 6700T with 90W TDP?

1 minute ago, sig8 said:

Which DC-DC ATX you are using. Does SR7 gets hot when you use it with 6700T with 90W TDP?

In the server,  now runnig AL as well as my endpoint, I’m using a Gigabyte GA-H110TN-E. This is a thin-itx mainboard with a DC-in jack much like the NUC’s. Regulators are thus on board and no DC-DC ATX converter is used.

The 6700T is a 35W TDP CPU, not 90W.

11 hours ago, Boomboy said:

Thnx @jcn3 there is no side scroll so I pressed down and 2 more options appeared .

Is this the procedure? 

Stop running processes .. isolated 2 cores .. save into ram .. then reboot ? 

What does isolate irq threads mean ? Should I say y to that ?

I would start with Realtime Priority set to Extreme.

Then isolate CPU cores to Audio under Configuration Menu:

Half

isolate CPU cores to irq threads  USB=Y if NUC7PHYH is you endpoint

Extreme2

Then under Configuration Menu - Save if in ramroot mode.

Reboot

Enable services under Configuration Menu

Configuration Menu - save if In ramroot mode 

Then check it all In Status menu

11 hours ago, Boomboy said:

Thnx @jcn3 there is no side scroll so I pressed down and 2 more options appeared .

Is this the procedure? 

Stop running processes .. isolated 2 cores .. save into ram .. then reboot ? 

What does isolate irq threads mean ? Should I say y to that ?

Easiest thing to do is just maximize the window -- then you'll see a full list of options.  If you don't want to do that, then just arrow down.

Since I run in RAM, before I make changes and to ensure they're saved, I get out of RAMROOT first:

* Disable RAMROOT

* Reboot

* Make changes

* Reboot

* Enable RAMROOT

Not sure about the IRQ part -- I didn't enable that.

My NUC has just two cores, so I allocate one to audio processes.  I set everything to Extreme (vs Extreme2) -- that sounds good to me.

I find that with priority apps and irqs set adding isolated cores only increases cpu temp and I find no SQ improvement.

I use Extreme, ramroot, and prioritize my I2S board and hqplayerd only.  Roon is normal priority as it is only for control in my setup.

I'm not running a NUC but it's worth experimenting to make sure the extra power/heat is worth it in improved sound quality.

Hi All,

I am running LMS and Squeezelite via AL headless on a NUC7PJYH with 4GB RAM

It plays DoP fine for DSD64 and DSD128 but can't play DSD256 even though my Chord DAVE/BluMkII is 768kHz capable.

For those using Squeezelite as an endpoint for ROON; is playing DSD256 possible via DoP?

It was working without any problems on my previous setup with Macmini/Audirvana.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Geoff

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

5 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi All,

It plays DoP fine for DSD64 and DSD128 but can't play DSD256 even though my Chord DAVE/BluMkII is 768kHz capable.

For those using Squeezelite as an endpoint for ROON; is playing DSD256 possible via DoP?

It was working without any problems on my previous setup with Macmini/Audirvana.

Thanks

Geoff

I'm afraid I don't know. I do know that LMS/squeezelite will do up to 24/384 and DSD128 (DoP), but I have not tried it with a DAC that can do 768.

Roon/squeezelite is limited (by Roon) to 24/192, so it's a moot configuration.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone updated AL to the latest kernel (headless version 1.1 with menu version 105)?  Any issues or noticeable change in sound quality?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

3 minutes ago, rickca said:

Has anyone updated AL to the latest kernel (headless version 1.1 with menu version 105)?  Any issues or noticeable change in sound quality?

I did a full update (kernel, packages, AL menu) last week. No issues on my side. No change in sound quality either.

18 minutes ago, rickca said:

Yes, I did the update yesterday. I heard a SQ change straight away.

Seems there is a bug in the pstate-frequency package.  I reported this to Piero, he elevated the problem and the bug was quickly fixed by the developer at GitHub.

Piero suggested executing the following from a $ command prompt to install the fix:

You must update database
$yaourt -Syy
and reinstall to latest version
$yaourt -S pstate-frequency

The fix worked.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

36 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Seems there is a bug in the pstate-frequency package.  I reported this to Piero, he elevated the problem and the bug was quickly fixed by the developer at GitHub.

Piero suggested executing the following from a $ command prompt to install the fix:

You must update database
$yaourt -Syy

The fix worked.

Did you hear the change after the pstate fix or was it before ? I think I also noticed the pstate issue with the Max vs Performance profile. I can't seem to set the max/min cpu freq and the  pstate governor is always set to performance whatever I do. Will update the package today and see if anything improves. Thanks for the pointer.

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

You must update database
$yaourt -Syy

The fix worked.

What was the bug?

On 3/7/2019 at 9:12 PM, HeeBroG said:

Hi All,

Thanks

Geoff

Hi,

I am also running NUC7PJYH AL headless with external LMS  server but with 8GB ram using squezelite (not R2 version). My DAC supports DOP for DSD64 (tested on the same NUC using daphile working fine ) but I could not get DSD to work in DOP mode for AL. Can you share what is the setting for your squeezelite config file in linux ?  Thanks

I downloaded the new 1.1 version yesterday and burned a new USB stick. But I could’nt enable LMS service only squeezelite service. I did install both from Update menu. No matter what I tried I could NOT start LMS.

Also I found a bug with the MPD DAC In Configuration menu. When I tried it went to first 1. in Status menu.

I gave up and wen’t back to the other USB sticks I have.

9 hours ago, austinpop said:

What was the bug?

10 hours ago, Dev said:

I think I also noticed the pstate issue with the Max vs Performance profile. I can't seem to set the max/min cpu freq and the  pstate governor is always set to performance whatever I do.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

If you have a version before 1.1.1, you should reinstall manually pstate-frequency (because of a bug in a previous version)

yaourt -S pstate-frequency

and reboot

Select MPD DAC is working fine here and also LMS. For specific problems of subscribers please contact me.

I remember that the menu is not designed for using numbers really, to select an option you should use arrow keys and Enter.

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS