IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

Any reason to not try AL with a NUC6i5 I currently use running Win10/AO/Fidelizer? I understand the concept of using a powerful CPU and having it operate without strain, but wouldn't the i5 have plenty of HP as a Roon endpoint with AL?

Also is there a trial period for AL? I realize its not expensive . . .

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
1 hour ago, bobfa said:

anyone else seeing these messages when enabling ramroot?

==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: wd719x

==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: aic94xx

I have gotten those since my first boot-up. I have been ignoring them since I am getting great sound and rock solid performance.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 hour ago, jcn3 said:

Any reason to not try AL with a NUC6i5 I currently use running Win10/AO/Fidelizer? I understand the concept of using a powerful CPU and having it operate without strain, but wouldn't the i5 have plenty of HP as a Roon endpoint with AL?

Also is there a trial period for AL? I realize its not expensive . . .

I am running an NUC7i5 for an endpoint in a fanless chase in it runs with no issues and the case is cool to the touch. I also have an i3 CPU on and ASRock endpoint and the same for my Roon Core they all run great. 

System

5 hours ago, bobfa said:

anyone else seeing these messages when enabling ramroot?

==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: wd719x

==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: aic94xx

yep got those too..

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#Possibly_missing_firmware_for_module_XXXX

"These appear to any Arch Linux users, especially those who have not installed these firmware modules. If you do not use hardware which uses these firmwares you can safely ignore this message."

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

https://gist.github.com/imrvelj/c65cd5ca7f5505a65e59204f5a3f7a6d

"Of importance is that this module is entirely unnecessary for most users.
It's simply a warning as these are commonly used modules for SAS/SCSI Disk Controllers in server hardware.

It's not recommended that you install these if you don't have such hardware in your system.
If you don't know what they are, don't install them.
Because if you did know what they are you'd know if you needed them to get your disks working."

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

On 1/26/2019 at 9:52 PM, davide256 said:

isn't raid setup in PC BIOS? Or did that change with UEFI?

Never mind, I see that you did it in software vs BIOS

I briefly tried LXQT AL as a server this weekend and the good news is that the RAID array was seen and mounted correctly automagically under /run if I remember correctly 

Due to the amount of time it was taking rebuilding my Ronn DB from 4TB of music I bailed but might try again with headless AL to free resources and see if it works

I use AL as an endpoint and it's excellent. What are the theoretical advantages of using AL at the server end though? 

4 hours ago, User471 said:

I briefly tried LXQT AL as a server this weekend and the good news is that the RAID array was seen and mounted correctly automagically under /run if I remember correctly 

Due to the amount of time it was taking rebuilding my Ronn DB from 4TB of music I bailed but might try again with headless AL to free resources and see if it works

I use AL as an endpoint and it's excellent. What are the theoretical advantages of using AL at the server end though? 

The empirical result for me was  that it made a bigger difference using AL for Roon server vs PC/Win10/Fidelizer Pro than switching from microRendu to NUC/AL endpoint.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

39 minutes ago, davide256 said:

The empirical result for me was  that it made a bigger difference using AL for Roon server vs PC/Win10/Fidelizer Pro than switching from microRendu to NUC/AL endpoint.

Worth the time and effort then

I will report back my impressions

One thing occurs, using AL in Roonserver mode booted off a USB (maybe even as ramroot) where is the Roon DB stored?

6 minutes ago, User471 said:

Worth the time and effort then

I will report back my impressions

One thing occurs, using AL in Roonserver mode booted off a USB (maybe even as ramroot) where is the Roon DB stored?

Thats why you need extra RAM beyond just whats required to run AL... the DB  gets stored in RAM.  You also have to remember to do a RAM save before rebooting/shutting down AL,

else your Roon  changes/history wont be saved and if a Roon software update is pending you should not boot to RAM so that all the changes are made to the source USB drive onetime vs having to update the RAM image every time. So more complex to manage but well worth it.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

14 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Thats why you need extra RAM beyond just whats required to run AL... the DB  gets stored in RAM.  You also have to remember to do a RAM save before rebooting/shutting down AL,

else your Roon  changes/history wont be saved and if a Roon software update is pending you should not boot to RAM so that all the changes are made to the source USB drive onetime vs having to update the RAM image every time. So more complex to manage but well worth it.

Any guesstimates on how much ram would be needed for a less than 1Tb library to avoid having to put the database on another internal disk?

System

12 minutes ago, mourip said:

Any guesstimates on how much ram would be needed for a less than 1Tb library to avoid having to put the database on another internal disk?

Over at RoonLabs a dev quoted 5GB for a 3TB collection

I have 4TB and 16GB of server RAM so will try headless and see if it flys

3 hours ago, tapatrick said:

had similar issues @bobfa (did you get yours working?) but after a few days back and forth with Piero, I got the network bridge working. It's worth the effort for the improvement in SQ. I did follow the instructions carefully but kept getting issues but eventually succeeded. When working it looks like this:

I have not had time to get back to testing this.  I see that the bridging scripts have been updated in the latest menu.  I will test with the and see what happens.  My current server (Sonic Transporter) is bridged and that helps.  I think we will get to a point where the setup menu system will make this accessible to everyone.

I left off at a point where the endpoint was not accessible and could not get an IP address when rebooted when talking to AL server in a bridge.  

Keep us informed as to your progress.

5 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

There was an error in the bridge scripts but Piero has fixed it in 9.5.

Thanks. My post was in addition to this, because I tried the update and it did not work for me for some reason.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

3 hours ago, bobfa said:

Audiolinux has already a ramsave periodic option.

You can start/enable it (as root) with the commands

systemctl start ramsave.timer

systemctl enable ramsave.timer

The default is every 30 min. You can change it editing the /etc/systemd/system/ramsave.timer

•  

the only wrinkle being that if you are running AL endpoint with the USB drive removed after boot, there won't be a media drive to save to. What happens if the drive isn't there, i.e. can you just insert it later for unattended save?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system