IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

19 hours ago, greenleo said:

Thank you M, especially for the photos.  Flexed means bending, correct?  Which side did you do the flexing, the front side or the back side?

L.

Hi L,

Sorry, missed this = Yes.

I was looking at the pads and connectors and checking that nothing was fixed to the case, which it isn't. I bent the casing away from both sides which have the USB/RJ45/Power switch before I then removed the mobo.

Just to add something about Squeezelite, directly from Marco, which might be useful to many...

All Squeezelite versions, on Linux only of course, allow to vary ALSA parameters, ie buffer size, period count, format and use of MMAP, through the "-a" parameter,  for ex:

-a 40:3::0 means 40ms of buffer, period count = 3, format 'automatic' depending on the sound card, no MMAP.

Watch out that > 499 are no longer ms but bytes.

R2 versions can be found here: https://github.com/marcoc1712/squeezelite-R2/releases/tag/v1.8.4-(R2) 

Furthermore, there is Falcon, which is a WEB interface that allows you to graphically vary those parameters (along with others) and restart Squeezelite, in 'almost' real time, like C-3PO.

It can be found on gitHub with installers for Gentoo and Debian (or Ubuntu).

Just now, MrUnderhill said:

Hi L,

Sorry, missed this = Yes.

I was looking at the pads and connectors and checking that nothing was fixed to the case, which it isn't. I bent the casing away from both sides which have the USB/RJ45/Power switch before I then removed the mobo.

@MrUnderhill and @Middy

Thank you for your encouragements.  Chassis swapped with the following results:

ssh_headless.thumb.png.597005bd6df4cf0221901b9bd52f9fa7.png

and

sensors.thumb.png.c3ba11feff9856080becfd505569c0a8.png

very happy now!

@greenleo

Really happy it went well My friend, especially since its the only thing i can help with. Removing the fan did have a positive impact for me.

You  will be hand building blade servers for Google next week. ??‍? 

Those sponges are the type of thing Holland shielding  uses for thier enclosure's.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Good luck

Dave

Inspired by @afrancois and @ray-dude I did some more tuning on my side. Gave my ethernet interface high RT priority as well as my USB port to which my DDC connects:

/etc/rtirq.conf

---
RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="xhci_hcd eno1"

# Highest priority.
#RTIRQ_PRIO_HIGH=90
RTIRQ_PRIO_HIGH=95

Edited /etc/rtapp/rtapp.conf and removed everything I don't use and added the child processes of RoonBridge:

---
APPLICATIONS="RoonBridge RAATServer RoonBridgeHelper"

MAX_PRIORITY="92"

MODE="autodec"
---

Fully disabled WiFi adapter and MMC (the memory card) inside AL by creating a file: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Also see: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_module

[audiolinux@audiolinux modprobe.d]$ more blacklist.conf
blacklist iwlwifi
blacklist iwlmvm
blacklist mac80211
blacklist cfg80211
blacklist rfkill
blacklist mmc_core
blacklist sdhci
blacklist sdhci_pci

Now their interrupts no longer show up when I issue the rtcards commands. The interrupts list is way shorter now:

SUMMARY OF ALL INTERRUPTS

IRQ=0   IO-APIC 2-edge timer
IRQ=8   IO-APIC 8-fasteoi rtc0
IRQ=9   IO-APIC 9-fasteoi acpi
IRQ=14  IO-APIC 14-fasteoi INT3453:00, INT3453:01, INT3453:03
IRQ=15  IO-APIC 15-fasteoi INT3453:02
IRQ=20  IO-APIC 20-fasteoi i801_smbus
-->     SMBus I801 adapter at f040
IRQ=120 PCI-MSI 311296-edge PCIe PME
IRQ=121 PCI-MSI 344064-edge xhci_hcd
-->     DataTraveler 3.0, MC-3+ Smart Clock USB 2.0, xHCI Host Controller
IRQ=122 PCI-MSI 245760-edge mei_me
IRQ=123 PCI-MSI 524288-edge eno1
IRQ=124 PCI-MSI 32768-edge i915
-->     i915 gmbus dpb, i915 gmbus dpc, i915 gmbus misc

This shows their priority:

REALTIME PRIORITY

IRQS
RTPRIO COMMAND
    95 irq/121-xhci_hc
    93 irq/123-eno1
    50 irq/9-acpi
    50 irq/120-PCIe PM
    50 irq/8-rtc0
    50 irq/20-i801_smb
    50 irq/122-mei_me
    50 irq/124-i915
     - ksoftirqd/0
     - ksoftirqd/1
     - ksoftirqd/2
     - ksoftirqd/3

It still works, whether it sounds better? No idea! :) Haven't listened yet. Don't know if there's more I can disable from that list.

27 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Gave my ethernet interface high RT priority as well as my USB port to which my DDC connects:

/etc/rtirq.conf

---
RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="xhci_hcd eno1"

# Highest priority.
#RTIRQ_PRIO_HIGH=90
RTIRQ_PRIO_HIGH=95

Looking forward to hearing how it sounds @Dutch

I went back and forth on whether the ethernet should have high priority.  

Between the the OG reports of improved SQ by network bridging (which I interpreted as basically isolating the ethernet segment) and using squeezelite to front load network traffic, it seems that ethernet traffic (or processing ethernet traffic) could be causing SQ to degrade.

On the other hand, Roon continually streams data to Roon Bridge.  Would a higher priority for ethernet make that interface more predictable/less variable as packets on the ethernet segment continually interrupt the system?

The squeezelite buffer experiments and the OG bridged network findings do point to something happening on the ethernet processing side of the end point (which is wild).

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

I fully agree @ray-dude and believe you are asking the exact right questions. I remember from Windows one can configure one or more settings related to IRQ in the ethernet drivers. The Intel drivers were the most advanced in this regard. One setting I always found interesting were the ‘interrupt moderation’ settings. These would allow one to balance system/CPU load with latency and throughput (=performance).

I’m afraid I have no answers here and don’t know if the Linux ethernet drivers employ such an approach. In any case the interrupts with or without our settings are generated anyway and we only influence the priority at which our system has to act when they happen. USB still has the higher priority. I’d say your buffer settings cause less interrupts to be generated after the buffers are filled.

Once you have things working, make a backup of your flash drive.  I had things working just like I wanted.  Then I edited a single file.  The next time I booted I had filesystem integrity issues.  I'm not sure it's recoverable so I'm starting over.  Don't be like me.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

8 minutes ago, rickca said:

Once you have things working, make a backup of your flash drive.  I had things working just like I wanted.  Then I edited a single file.  The next time I booted I had filesystem integrity issues.  I'm not sure it's recoverable so I'm starting over.  Don't be like me.

Better still, write up your recipe and post it here!  

Every time someone does, I pick up a new tidbit about how to configure/tune these systems (blacklist.conf....who knew?)

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

On 12/9/2018 at 5:14 PM, BigAlMc said:

Thanks @LTG2010,

Defo need to try another DC barrel connector to rule that out.

It was the bloody barrel connector! Figure it was a polarity inverter.

Booted and playing on the LPS1.2 as soon as tried the new barrel connector.

There's a popping sound every 10 to 20 seconds tho that's audible when nothings playing. I'm wondering if the i7 is drawing slightly too much juice for the LPS1.2.

But will play around and try the SPS-500 next.

Cheers,

Alan

20181210_215106.jpg

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

35 minutes ago, rickca said:

Bummer Rick.

I guess a good lesson, albeit learned the painful way. Make backups when you think it's pretty good to avoid starting again.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

1 minute ago, LTG2010 said:

Glad it's sorted.

Thanks. Listening now on the SPS-500 and it's sounding great.

Just now, LTG2010 said:

Zenith as server?

Yup.

The NUC based server is still a work in progress.

Some great info yesterday on setting up the SSD but after a long day at work I didn't have the energy to tackle that tonight. Will settle for getting my PSU blocker unblocked ?

31 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Thanks. Listening now on the SPS-500 and it's sounding great.

How does it sound compare to just SE?

I first power my NUC with sPS500 at 12V, later switched to 19V and like it a bit more, now using JS-2 at 12V, like it even more.  Hope you can get LPS-1.2 to work since I have heard it is either on par with JS-2 or better.

2 minutes ago, elan120 said:

How does it sound compare to just SE?

I first power my NUC with sPS500 at 12V, later switched to 19V and like it a bit more, now using JS-2 at 12V, like it even more.  Hope you can get LPS-1.2 to work since I have heard it is either on par with JS-2 or better.

I didn't compare them. Was just happy I'd got it working on a better PSU so enjoyed a few tracks. Will compare during the week.

Interesting that you prefer 19v as that's what I have mine on and was wondering about whether 12v might be better. The constant what ifs of this hobby!

7 hours ago, ray-dude said:

Between the the OG reports of improved SQ by network bridging (which I interpreted as basically isolating the ethernet segment) and using squeezelite to front load network traffic, it seems that ethernet traffic (or processing ethernet traffic) could be causing SQ to degrade.

What is the OG report?  Any link?

Long time ago, the thread "A novel way to ..." mentioned that using bridge improves the SQ.  I recall that the reason may not be clearly known and I stand corrected.  At the end the theory was something like for traffic like, Control PC(server) to router to Audio PC(endpoint), the router degrades the signal due to poor clock.  Then Roy try different ordering of the clocks (mediocre, good, better sort of things) and the famous trifecta came out...

By using network bridge, one less traffic is needed between Control PC and the Audio PC (just like the JPlay dual PC setup), hence the SQ could be better.

The effect of the switch has been pretty well documented in the "A novel ..." thread as well.  You may want to have a look.

For the CAers who want to attain best SQ, I have created a walk through to setup a LAN network bridge.  You may try it to check if the SQ is improved.  A word of caution, when two PCs are connected through LAN ports, plastic connectors at the end of the cable rather than metal connectors should be used.

38 minutes ago, greenleo said:

What is the OG report?  Any link?

Sorry, I was referring to the original tweak from the mother "A novel way..." thread (OG == Original Gangster ... I blame my teenager for polluting my vocabulary ;)

I did start to work my way through the mother thread, but there is a LOT there.  I'm currently holding out for an  EtherGen (or equivalent), but I'm tempted to do some bridging experiments, just for the learning.  I appreciate the guides!