IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

10 minutes ago, MrUnderhill said:

Hi GL,

Did you get the motherboard out OK?

Any thoughts or comments?

I will be doing this as soon as my isopropanol arrives - next week. I have also bought the Master Gel recommended on the vid posted by Rajiv.

Last week I watched another vid which dealt with the same box as I have bought, the chap had trouble getting the mobo out and so the cut the film and returned with it extracted ....without showing them doing it - so I am guessing it took a reasonable amount of carefully applied force.

Thx,

M

P.S. Middy, thanks for your observations to GL.

HI M,

Not yet.  Haven't got the courage to proceed yet--I need the NUC (my only endpoint for a dual box setup) to do a few test next week and worry that I may break it.  How I wish a turnkey solution exist.  Now the Newton JC has come and the temptation to swap the chassis is higher and higher, which I'm fighting very hard too resist right now.

I've read the videos posted by Middy (many thanks) a few times.  For that mobo in the vid, taking out the VGA port is easy.  Also a bar blocking the mobo was removed as well.  To take out the mono looks not difficult.  But for the 7CYJH, which seems quite a tight fit, I'll attemppt after the tests.

If you may, take a video and post it on YouTube.  I can't find the video of disassembly of the 7CYJH yet.

Regards.

10 hours ago, austinpop said:
What is the proper way to update my system to 0.6 while preserving all customizations? I did this - downloaded the 3 files below:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 audiolinux users 70295236 Dec  6 17:32 linux-rt-bfq-4.19.1.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

-rwxr-xr-x 1 audiolinux users 16020220 Dec  6 17:33 linux-rt-bfq-docs-4.19.1.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

-rwxr-xr-x 1 audiolinux users 18297092 Dec  6 17:33 linux-rt-bfq-headers-4.19.1.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

I then ran 

pacman -U linux-rt-bfq-4.19.1.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz linux-rt-bfq-headers-4.19.1.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz linux-rt-bfq-docs-4.19.1.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz 

I rebooted, but when I login, I still see 0.5 on the login screen. And, if I type alconf I still get the old menu. 

Finally, what is the command for the new monitor menu?

All of this is on headless.

Same here, I've updated the kernel, but the menu stays the same.

There must be some extra steps involved to update to 0.6

2 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Bump

You can just leave it as NTFS with all your music pre loaded.

@greenleo made a guide no.4? To automount the drive so look at that first.

You will need to edit the etc/fstab file.

In lxqt you would use the root file editor (the pink one) in headless then it's nano.

There are many YouTube videos on basic nano use.

An easier way is to load lxqt desktop and then place your headless USB stick in the same machine. Then you can edit files from the headless USB. In a desktop environment.

However the file path will be different; run/media/audiolinux/audiolinux_mini/etc/fstab (same principle for other files)

Otherwise you will be editing the lxqt files.

For file transfers install WinSCP on your Windows machine and you can access your hard disc remotely which will now be located at /media/windows.

Lastly install Putty for console access which you can also open in WinSCP.

Thanks @LTG2010,

I'll take a look at @greenleo's guide.

Sounds a bit daunting tbh but I guess my education continues! ?

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

Just something that might simplify things for some:

I have a separate disk on which I have installed audiolinux_220.img.gz. This lxqt version does automount your disks or USB keys.

I download the latest packages with Chromium and copied them over to another disk on which I have installed headless 0.5.

I even copied over my RoonServer folder that way.

I first made a backup of Roon on the NAS and restored it in the lxqt version. After that, it was simply a matter of copying the RoonServer folder onto the headless 0.5 disk.

2 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Thanks @LTG2010,

I'll take a look at @greenleo's guide.

Sounds a bit daunting tbh but I guess my education continues! ?

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Are you using the lxqt?  If so, it's not necessary to do the mount.  Just click the hdd in the lxqt V3.0 and it will be auto mounted.  However, once the machines is off, the mount is gone.  When boot up next time, just click and mount again.  Not that troublesome.  This is what I'm doing in v3.0.  Just didn't bother to edit the file even I know the way.  Lazy, yes.

In my guides, I suggest the user to play around the interface of the AL 1st.  Then eventually I show the way to auto-mount a HDD using the NTFS format by adding a line in a system file..

If you're using lxqt, the screen editor provided is fine.  Just click the red folder in the bottom left of the screen, browse and double the file to be edited.

Using nano is like using the notepad in windows but in a does prompt.  The bottom of the screen will show you how to use the [Ctrl]-[key] to save, exit ,..., etc.  Not too difficult.  However, you may need to su before the editing.

Hope this helps.

7 hours ago, greenleo said:

Why use HQPE in lxqt?  Why not HQP desktop in Linux like what you did in Windows?

I meant AL lxqt command line mode, which was quite some time ago when I had not yet got the headless version. But it doesn't matter. The key point is that even under AL headless version, the problem of using "poly-sinc-lp" filter on HQPE still occurs. Do you have this experience?

34 minutes ago, greenleo said:

Hi Alan,

Are you using the lxqt?  If so, it's not necessary to do the mount.  Just click the hdd in the lxqt V3.0 and it will be auto mounted.  However, once the machines is off, the mount is gone.  When boot up next time, just click and mount again.  Not that troublesome.  This is what I'm doing in v3.0.  Just didn't bother to edit the file even I know the way.  Lazy, yes.

In my guides, I suggest the user to play around the interface of the AL 1st.  Then eventually I show the way to auto-mount a HDD using the NTFS format by adding a line in a system file..

If you're using lxqt, the screen editor provided is fine.  Just click the red folder in the bottom left of the screen, browse and double the file to be edited.

Using nano is like using the notepad in windows but in a does prompt.  The bottom of the screen will show you how to use the [Ctrl]-[key] to save, exit ,..., etc.  Not too difficult.  However, you may need to su before the editing.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Greenleo,

I'm using headless AL on the endpoint and was planning the same for the server.

Would you say its better to use lxqt for the server?

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

33 minutes ago, simonklp said:

I meant AL lxqt command line mode, which was quite some time ago when I had not yet got the headless version. But it doesn't matter. The key point is that even under AL headless version, the problem of using "poly-sinc-lp" filter on HQPE still occurs. Do you have this experience?

I don't use the HQPE, E for embedded, correct?

Also, I don't use filters at all.  Sorry, can't help.

20 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Thanks Greenleo,

I'm using headless AL on the endpoint and was planning the same for the server.

Would you say its better to use lxqt for the server?

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Given that I use HQP Desktop in the server, lxqt suits better.  In this case you can still use my guide to mount the local hdd.  Not sure if the USB disk, once plugin, is automounted or not in headless (it is in the lxqt version, no clicking is needed).  

I guess you're using something like ROON that may be divided into 3 physical components for best SQ.  If so, you had better ask other CAers.  I've no ROON license and can't help.

Regards,

Leo

Thanks Leo,

Yup. Using Roon.

No worries, I'll investigate as it's more of a Linux question than an AudioLinux question I guess.

Can always ping Piero if I hit a brick wall as his responsiveness and support is fantastic.

Cheers,

Alan

2 hours ago, afrancois said:

Same here, I've updated the kernel, but the menu stays the same.

There must be some extra steps involved to update to 0.6

I contacted Piero. He said that he changes the passwords periodically. He sent me a new one and I downloaded the new install file.

This will not be much fun for him as his user base grows. It also does seem that this will produce a fresh install since you will be using RUFUS again to re-image your USB drive. I like lmitche's idea of creating a document with all of your previous configuration changes listed so that you can quickly run through them...again.

The good news is that I changed my CA profile yesterday to list Audiolinux with Roon as my new system. Pretty remarkable.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

4 minutes ago, mourip said:

I like lmitche's idea of creating a document with all of your previous configuration changes listed so that you can quickly run through them...again.

and again.......and again.......and again...... etc.....etc.... thats why I'm stil on 0.3

In any event if you hear a difference between 0.3 and 0.6 its down to expectation bias ??

3 hours ago, MrUnderhill said:

P.S. Middy, thanks for your observations to GL.

I used to build aerospace pumps and solder PCBS

My wife takes me apart once a week.. so i have some practice...

Just happy it helps, entirely my pleasure honestly.

Wait until i get AL, then people wont be so happy...

Whats yogurt for, what flavour do i need for AL.

If i get a server should i get a butler or just a waiter...

25 minutes ago, afrancois said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but you can monitor the CPU temperature from within AL headless by simply typing: sensors.

I'm running 0.5 on a stock unit NUC7i7DNHE in RAM using extreme mode.  72 C° seems quite high.

image.thumb.png.88f1603e56bd24a842490eba38123636.png

Do you know what the "high" and "critical" values represent? Are these bios settings for warning or are there historical values that have been previously reached... or none of the above?

My two endpoints running in extreme mode show different measured values. My NUC reads ~60 and my HDPlex ~47.

System

1 minute ago, mourip said:

Do you know what the "high" and "critical" values represent? Are these bios settings for warning or are there historical values that have been previously reached... or none of the above?

I do honestly don't know. I haven't touched the BIOS settings. I did, however, do a BIOS update.

6 minutes ago, afrancois said:

Have others that have AL + REF10 noticed that it takes up to an hour before the REF10 gives it maximum potential?

This only came to my attention after installing AL.

I know that some of you let the REF10 always ON.

I leave my front end always on and my tube equipment gets turned off. I have a REF10 and I am pretty sure that it takes a while for it to reach thermal equilibrium. I could not say how long it takes before it no longer affects SQ...

System

30 minutes ago, afrancois said:

I'm running 0.5 on a stock unit NUC7i7DNHE in RAM using extreme mode.  72 C° seems quite high.

That's probably the Tcase max temperature for a mobile CPU meaning once 72 C is reached the processor wil throttle ( reduce frequency) so that it doesn't go up any further. This will degrade the performance so ideally put it in a AKASA case to get it down to 42 C.

Clocks should be on all the time for best performance, it lessens the overall Crystals lifetime but we are talking 5 years +.