IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

Roon audio device issue with two AL machines in the same network. @hifi25nl any ideas?  Anyone else? @austinpop 

I have one AL NUC machine running Roon Core. 

I have a Sonic Transporter running  Roon Core 

I have a second AL NUC  running RoonBridge

• When the Sonic Transporter is the Roon Core the NUC running roonbridge shows the DAC hooked to the USB port in Roon Audio Settings
  • When the NUC AL machine is the Roon Core the same NUC endpoint does not show the DAC hooked up to the USB port in Roon  Audio Settings.
  • ALSO when the two NUCs are running the devices "Connected to CORE" do not show up at all.  If I shut down the NUC running roonbridge the "connected to Core" devices appear.

This is weird to me.  Of note that both of the AL machines are built from the same download of AL and have been updated online.  (I should be properly licensed to run two)

NOTE: I built a new USB stick today for the roonbridge machine just to test. 

This sounds like the "unique_id" problem mentioned some time ago.

On the 2 AL machines:

• stop Roon Server or Bridge as the case may be. You can use the menu option to STOP and disable all running audio services
  • (as root) rm -f /var/roon/RAATServer/Settings/unique_id
  • Now start Roon Server or Bridge as the case may be. 

The visibility issue should be gone.

The other way to check that all 3 machines are visible on the network is to connect to either Core. Go to Settings, then About on the top right. You should see the Cores and Bridge listed.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

On the 2 AL machines:

• stop Roon Server or Bridge as the case may be. You can use the menu option to STOP and disable all running audio services
  • (as root) rm -f /var/roon/RAATServer/Settings
  • Now start Roon Server or Bridge as the case may be. 

I deleted the file unique_id in that settings folder on the bridge and everything is working.  I did not change it on the server yet. 

If someone else has this problem remember to fix it on real media if you are running in RAM

I just got my two NUCS up and running - thank you for all your posts and tutorials.

I am able to get DSD 256 with a -2S on my i7NUC DNKE with hyperthreading and speedstep turned off.

I was wondering if I can attain DSD 512 with them on?  If it is possible, would turning these features on

defeat the advantage of 512K.

Thanks for your insite - I'll give it a try this weekend.

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

Well it didn't boot - so I guess I have an answer.

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

Anyone having any joy with the 'isolated cpu cores' setting?

On my endpoint, nproc gives me '4' so 4 cores right?

If I enable isolation using option 1) ('all but first') and reboot etc when I look in monitoring it says only 1 core isolated?

I expected 3 for audio, 1 for the rest

Any thoughts?

On 1/5/2019 at 4:36 PM, clipper said:

Are you choosing the correct output device when you start squeezelite?

Do a squeezelite -l command to see the available output devices.

If I don't specify front (see below), I get 48 for everything.  I start squeezelite by typing squeezelite -o front &. 

1153779837_ScreenShot2019-01-05at9_34_06AM.thumb.png.abf4ed83309cb9504d53473b7768b8e1.png

Thank you for sharing this. On my system the Squeezlite is also stuck on 48kHz. When I go to the Status menu, Audio card status, and type 0, the Playback device is always on 48kHz, even if Interface 1 has rates 44100 through 192000.

I can stop all running services, and then type 'squeezelite -o front &' in the terminal to start squeezelite using "front". Then it outputs the correct samplerate, corresponding with the input signal (LMS or Roon).

But it does not keep it's setting. This setting is not there anymore in the file at /etc/squeezelite.conf, as in earlier versions of AL.

My question is: can I edit AL 0.8 somewhere, that it keeps 'front' as setting for squeezelite?

23 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

What is the content of /etc/squeezelite.conf?

You must edit it manually with the right parameters.

You must use in this case squeezelite (not R2) and start squeezelite not R2 version

...And in ram mode you must save system

Contents of the file are:

# default squeezelite configuration

LOG_FILE="-f /var/log/squeezelite.log"

In an earlier version of AL there was a line referring to the sound card. It was something like 'default:CARD=Eitr' that needed to be changed to 'front:CARD=Eitr,DEV=0'.

But now that line is not there, so I'm not sure what to enter there.

38 minutes ago, Advieira said:

7i7DNBE works in Plato X7? Or only in Plato X7D?

Plato X7 is compatible with NUC7i5BNH / NUC7i5BNK / NUC7i3BNH / NUC7i3BNK.

Plato X7D is compatible with 

NUC7i7DNBE / NUC7i7DNKE / NUC7i7DNHE
NUC7i5DNBE / NUC7i5DNKE / NUC7i5DNHE
NUC7i3DNBE / NUC7i3DNKE / NUC7i3DNHE

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I believe the only way to disable the radio is through BIOS, but in my experimentation, I am doing A/B by killing the WPA supplicant:

systemctl stop wpa_supplicant@wlo2

systemctl disable wpa_supplicant@wlo2

(replace wlo2 with the name of your wireless interface)

For context on how I have mine set up, I'll post my wireless set up recipe in the next post

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

For those of you using NUCs, from a hardware perspective why do you think they are capable of outperforming bespoke kit like SoTM and Sonore?

It seems counterintuitive to me that a general purpose board like the NUC, once power supply issues are addressed, is there or thereabouts in SQ terms with kit very specifically designed to do one job well

I don't have an NUC personally, but I don't doubt for one moment those who claim wonderful things from them. I'm just intrigued as to why it might be so

9 hours ago, ray-dude said:

The ArchLinux site (linked from the audiolinux site) has lots of good info on how to setup wireless networking, but it took a long time to wade through.  I distilled down my findings into a simple recipe that I use, that may be useful to others that want to play with WLANs on their NUC (I've used this on both my NUC7i7DNKE and NUC7CJYH)

* Make sure WiFi on in bios

* Install WPA supplicant

pacman -S wpa_supplicant

* Find out name of wireless interface:

ip link

(mine is wlo2)

* Quick setup of WPA supplicant config file

wpa_passphrase MYSSID MYpassphrase > /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlo2.conf

(use your interface name where I used wlo2, and your WiFi SSID and passphrase in plain text

* Test wpa_supplicant

wpa_supplicant -i wlo2 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlo2.conf

(again, use your interface name where I used wlo2)

If it connects cleanly, control C to kill.  If not, you have some digging to do to figure out why: 

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant

* Setup to start at boot, start it up, and check that it is running

systemctl daemon-reload

systemctl enable wpa_supplicant@wlo2

systemctl start wpa_supplicant@wlo2

systemctl status wpa_supplicant@wlo2

(use your wireless interface name after the @ sign)

* Create /etc/systemd/network/wl.network for your wireless interface

[Match]

Name=wlo2

[Network]

DHCP=yes

[DHCP]

RouteMetric=20

* If you're going to run wired ethernet at same time modify /etc/systemd/network/en.network

[Match]

Name=en*

[Network]

DHCP=yes

[DHCP]

RouteMetric=10

* Restart networkd and check:

systemctl restart systemd-networkd

networkctl status

* Get IP address(es) and check

ip a

You should have a different one on each network interface you set up (wired, wireless, etc)

ping the IP address(es) from another computer on your network

Thanks for the formula it helps. I will have to adjust  and put in the route metric. I had used what Piero put up the other day on his website.  I am going to try an experiment where I have both network interfaces active and switch playback in Roon.  This will leave the wireless radio on.  I will then disable the  m.2 slot in the BIOS and see what happens to the sound from Ethernet.    Note I will post about adding the wireless card to the hardware shortly.

Doh!  I hadn't been to the AL site in a couple weeks.  Sorry Piero, I didn't know you had already posted an updated WLAN guide!  Thank you for putting that up (much easier to follow than jumping around the Arch Linux documentation)

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

5 hours ago, User471 said:

For those of you using NUCs, from a hardware perspective why do you think they are capable of outperforming bespoke kit like SoTM and Sonore?

It seems counterintuitive to me that a general purpose board like the NUC, once power supply issues are addressed, is there or thereabouts in SQ terms with kit very specifically designed to do one job well

I don't have an NUC personally, but I don't doubt for one moment those who claim wonderful things from them. I'm just intrigued as to why it might be so

Boggles me too but I see these unique factors

1) AL itself running in RAM along with the endpoint player software

2) the ability to eliminate all attached media drives at the endpoint , even the USB boot drive after load to RAM... this floored me

when removing the USB drive after boot sounded better

and apparently as off the shelf product, Intel NUC has better performing hardware integration than other NUC like products, with or without added hi-tech USB hardware.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system