IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

19 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi Larry,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge here.

As an endpoint, do you use the DNBE with 4GB RAM?

Is more/maximum RAM preferable for DNBE as a server?

Please excuse me if this is a silly question but with only a single LAN port on a NUC, how do you connect the server NUC to the router and the NUC endpoint?

Regards,

Geoff

Geoff, 4gb works just fine with ram booted AL and Roonbridge. It also sounds better to my ears than two 4gb boards.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

17 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Not yet, probably tomorrow. Didn't I read that you did this already?

Yeah I did try with a dodgy adapter that wasn't well suited to my audioquest cable... So I am wondering weather to try again with the proper audioquest adapter... I did have toslink working through an hdmi audio extractor, however after a few days I felt the sound wasn't as good as usb.. Despite the extra bass extension and more meaty sound it lacked the immediacy, attack, bass tautness and resolution of usb... Toslink straight out of the nuc should be better than using the hdmi port first and adding another device, so it may level the playing field a bit or it may simply not work at all ?

17 minutes ago, Bricki said:

Yeah I did try with a dodgy adapter that wasn't well suited to my audioquest cable... So I am wondering weather to try again with the proper audioquest adapter... I did have toslink working through an hdmi audio extractor, however after a few days I felt the sound wasn't as good as usb.. Despite the extra bass extension and more meaty sound it lacked the immediacy, attack, bass tautness and resolution of usb... Toslink straight out of the nuc should be better than using the hdmi port first and adding another device, so it may level the playing field a bit or it may simply not work at all ?

Ok cool. I'll look in the morning to check that all the necessary kit is on hand.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

9 hours ago, lmitche said:

Geoff, 4gb works just fine with ram booted AL and Roonbridge. It also sounds better to my ears than two 4gb boards.

Thanks Larry.

Is that 4GB for server duties as well on the NUC7i7DNBE?

Geoff

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

8 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

System Cloning / back up your USB - dd method

To backup / clone your AL USB to a new USB the system should not be cloned 'within' (your mounted USB)
To make it easier to identify my USB keys  I loaded an AL lxqt 3.0 headless OS in RAM, then took out the USB.
Open console as root (su) in this example I logged in remotely using putty.
Type> blkid you should see /dev/zram0 (your ramdisk)
Place in the USB you wish to clone, in this example I put in a AL v5 headless 16gb USB.
Type> blkid again, now we get /dev/zram0 plus 2 AL partitions from the AL5 USB in this case /dev/sda1 & /dev/sda2
Now plug in the empty formatted target USB leaving in the source USB.

Type> blkid and in this case I got /dev/sdc1 (plus the above discs)
So now we have identified the source USB /dev/sda =if and the target USB /dev/sdc =of,  dont mix up your if's and of's as you'll wipe your original disc.
also ignore the partion numbers 1 & 2 as we are cloning the entire disc.
we input> 

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdc bs=64K conv=noerror,sync status=progress 

(replace sda & sdc with your own USB's id)
For a 16GB disc it takes approx 25 minutes (double for 32GB)

Hi LTG,

Thank you for the post.

Any method to back up a USB disk in DD like what Piero gave us?  I've V2.2, V3.0 and V3.02, all with some settings changed.  But I don't have so many USB disk to backup them up.

Regards.

1 minute ago, greenleo said:

Any method to back up a USB disk in DD like what Piero gave us?  I've V2.2, V3.0 and V3.02, all with some settings changed.  But I don't have so many USB disk to backup them up.

I just tested in my running system whilst music playing, but in theory it should work in any AL setup, changing setting shouldn't matter as we want to backup those changed settings I suppose.

Once you boot into RAM then the USB partitions are 'unmounted' so input> blkid (in root) and you'll get the id of your 'source' USB then place your 'clone' USB in your machine and identify it and run the command.

13 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

I just tested in my running system whilst music playing, but in theory it should work in any AL setup, changing setting shouldn't matter as we want to backup those changed settings I suppose.

Once you boot into RAM then the USB partitions are 'unmounted' so input> blkid (in root) and you'll get the id of your 'source' USB then place your 'clone' USB in your machine and identify it and run the command.

I believe my English has led to the confusion.  I mean to back it up as a compressed file, like what Piero gave us for download.

I just got a NUC7PJYH delivered. My plan is to run Roon Server with AL on the NUC7PJYH and Roon bridge Al on my NUC7CJYH.

But forgive me ny newbie questions about Roon.

I have never tried Roon before.

Q1: I Think I need 16GB ram?

Q2: Do I need a SSD disk for the NUC7PJYH for the install of Roon Server or can I run Roon core on the AL USB disk/ramboot?

Q3: I am going to stream Tidal Hi-Fi mainly and for that should I use Roon Remote or Ipeng on an IPAD?

Thanks.

42 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

If you want to update from last version you can install the new menu with these commands (as root)

So this will only work if you are currently running 0.6?  Is there any way for 0.5 users to get these menus/functionality?

Really great progress in ease of use!  Thank you. 

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

10 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

The new command for menu is...

menu

That's way too hard to remember. ?

You have delivered even more than you promised.  I am really happy.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

@hifi25nl Audiolinux 0.7 with new improved menu. 

Thanks for the Update ? Lots of goodies. It’s very, very nice. It very easy to install Squeezerlite R2, Squeezerlite, LMS, MPD and Upmpdcli from the menu. Also I like the Status menu a lot.

First I forgot to type “menu” instead of alconf.

It’s nice that you Can login via browser. I logged In via Safari with http://ipaddress:8500

There are a lot to like In AL 0.7

Thanks a lot for your hard work.

Cheers Monge

4 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

If you want to update from last version you can install the new menu with these commands (as root)

pacman -S lftp sysstat
lftp -e 'mirror https://www.audio-linux.com/ftp/packages/menu /tmp; bye'
cd /tmp
tar -xvpf almenu.tar.gz
cp -prf scripts /opt/
cp -prf sudoers /etc/sudoers
ln -s /opt/scripts/alconf.sh /usr/bin/alconf
ln -s /opt/scripts/almon.sh /usr/bin/almon
ln -s /opt/scripts/alupdate.sh /usr/bin/alupdate
ln -s /opt/scripts/menu.sh /usr/bin/menu

If you want also the web interface (as user):
yaourt -S shellinabox-git

As root:

cd /tmp
lftp -e 'get https://www.audio-linux.com/ftp/temp/webinterface.tar.gz; bye'
tar -xvpf webinterface.tar.gz
cp -prf shellinabox /etc/
cp -prf [email protected] /etc/systemd/system/[email protected]
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl enable [email protected]
systemctl start [email protected]

After you can connect from a browser with
http://ipaddress:8500

Piero this is excellent , especially for us Linux newbies. Thanks for listening to our grumbling and ramblings...

You must be peddling pretty fast these days!

I assume that we either have to exit ramroot and then reboot(with the USB drive inserted) in order to make these changes ...or else in ramroot, with the USB drive in place, choose "Save System" from the alconf menu?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System