IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

As most AL users strive to have AL in RAM it would be nice to have AL started using Netboot. Thus booting over ethernet.

It will be somewhat harder to configure, but this way you will not have to manually remove the USB thumb drive (or in my case the USB SSD drive)

I've done this a long time ago, to load an entire OS from the network. The bootloader and the drives were on my NAS. I did configure a LUN and some iSCSI drives if memory serves me.

• austinpop changed the title to AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning
10 hours ago, austinpop said:
What is the proper way to update my system to 0.6 while preserving all customizations? I did this - downloaded the 3 files below:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 audiolinux users 70295236 Dec  6 17:32 linux-rt-bfq-4.19.1.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

-rwxr-xr-x 1 audiolinux users 16020220 Dec  6 17:33 linux-rt-bfq-docs-4.19.1.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

-rwxr-xr-x 1 audiolinux users 18297092 Dec  6 17:33 linux-rt-bfq-headers-4.19.1.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

I then ran 

pacman -U linux-rt-bfq-4.19.1.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz linux-rt-bfq-headers-4.19.1.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz linux-rt-bfq-docs-4.19.1.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz 

I rebooted, but when I login, I still see 0.5 on the login screen. And, if I type alconf I still get the old menu. 

Finally, what is the command for the new monitor menu?

All of this is on headless.

Same here, I've updated the kernel, but the menu stays the same.

There must be some extra steps involved to update to 0.6

Just something that might simplify things for some:

I have a separate disk on which I have installed audiolinux_220.img.gz. This lxqt version does automount your disks or USB keys.

I download the latest packages with Chromium and copied them over to another disk on which I have installed headless 0.5.

I even copied over my RoonServer folder that way.

I first made a backup of Roon on the NAS and restored it in the lxqt version. After that, it was simply a matter of copying the RoonServer folder onto the headless 0.5 disk.

1 minute ago, mourip said:

Do you know what the "high" and "critical" values represent? Are these bios settings for warning or are there historical values that have been previously reached... or none of the above?

I do honestly don't know. I haven't touched the BIOS settings. I did, however, do a BIOS update.

1 minute ago, LTG2010 said:

That's probably the Tcase max temperature for a mobile CPU meaning once 72 C is reached the processor wil throttle ( reduce frequency) so that it doesn't go up any further. This will degrade the performance so ideally put it in a AKASA case to get it down to 42 C.

Clocks should be on all the time for best performance, it lessens the overall Crystals lifetime but we are talking 5 years +.

I will get the plato X7D. This must a very effective case if it gets it down to 42 °C passively.

46 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Brilliant @afrancois,

I use WINSCP at work but hadn't occurred to me to use it to SSH into the NUC.

Would this work for transferring music to an AL NUC server?

Thanks,

Alan

It has also been a while since I have used WinSCP. My previous linux endeavors are far back in the past.

No problem copying files from my NAS to the NUC's memory (running AL in ramboot)

image.thumb.png.d846584c8fe8daadff6e40db13dda9af.png

Have also successfully mounted audiolinux/home/audiolinux/music in Roon.

Then I searched in Roon after Hells Bells and of course, I found two entries. Be right clicking on the icon right of the title you can query the file location. Take the one that's in memory and compare with the one coming from the NAS.

I haven't done the comparison yet. Perhaps put something more audiophile into the folder :-)

Some scripting with WinSCP to automate your flac file copies to memory

image.thumb.png.1eae4f997aa272589a5d7896f652009f.png

script1.bat

"C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP\WinSCP.exe" /log="D:\WinSCP-Script\WinSCP.log" /ini=nul /script="D:\WinSCP-Script\script1.txt

script1.txt

open scp://root:[email protected]/ -hostkey="ssh-ed25519 256 tdi7pWzRJyRudTOA16KV8KjKyiJf8CLFYqvVRwGKcUo="

option batch on
option confirm off 
option transfer binary

put d:\music-memory\* /home/audiolinux/Music/*.flac

exit

• 1 month later...