IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

It would be nice if LXQT had a reboot option that switched  headless <> GUI. Far easier to make/save changes in GUI mode than to do it all through command line

in headless, than switch back to headless/no GUI.

Headless and lxqt are different things.  Larry mentioned in the "mother" thread that it's very difficult to make an lxqt a headless.  I asked him there and that's his reply.

Anyway, headless is used as an endpoint and the lxqt used as an control PC.  In this case, there is no reason to switch back and and fro.

• austinpop changed the title to AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning
12 hours ago, davide256 said:

All headless means is that there are no drivers for input/output peripherals... you access the OS remotely over IP connection. WIth LXQT you do have

the added overhead of more drivers loaded  but you can just physically unplug the input devices and you can disable the GUI from loading. 

I'm running LXQT as Roon endpoint on Raspberry Pi and I have the same option with PC.

The main disadvantage of LXQT is it requires more RAM... my RAM disk consumes 8gb of RAM for OS and Roon database. You have to jettison the peripherals

driver database (headless)to get AL to run on only 8GB of RAM

You may login to headless directly and change the options.  Not necessarily remote.  I do this often.

The beauty of headless as an endpoint is that electrial noises may be reduced as far as possible.  I do not use Roon, hence no further input.  I use HQP in the lxqt, the control PC to the headless, the audio PC that runs the NAA and find the SQ very satisfying.

22 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

I like pictures too so I hope this might help with setting up BIOS. Unused USB ports can be disabled too, I just have to find out which is which.

If those more knowledgeable could add to this, it would be much appreciated. 

On board devices Audio screen.JPG

USB conf screen.JPG

Secure boot off screen.JPG

Boot configuration Linux screen.JPG

Boot priority screen.JPG

UEFI screen.JPG

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for the images!  The 3rd one that shows the secure boot was not clear and this could be crucial for the newbies.  Any possibility to show it clearly?

Regards.

1 hour ago, Narcissus said:

Guys, did any of you’ll use a grounding strap or anti static gloves while fiddling with the NUC? Is it ok to not use either and just make sure you’re touching some metal and not working on a carpet, would that suffice?

In the endpoint NUC, would it matter where you install the 4gb ram, upper or lower slot?

Is your NUC compatible with a smart TV or do we need to connect a Computer monitor? Larry had concerns about making it work on a regular Home TV.

I installed the RAM in the lower slot simply because it would be easier to add RAM in the future.

3 hours ago, gsquared said:

Thanks to a lot of help from Piero, I was able to get my NUC8i7BEH running headless Al with 8 GB of RAM (diskless - running Al and Roon DB in RAM). But even sitting idle, I am getting a message that reads "Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 1). Then a series of lines, then NOHZ: local_softirq_pending 80. 

Anyone have any suggestions of a possible mis-configuration I've made?

Here's a screenshot:

IMG_6895.jpeg

Try use the standard mode when the headless is idle. 

If you're using the headless as a Room server, I guess it's very taxing and the temperature will rise.  Probably much lower if it is used an Roon bridge (end point without Roon certification).

16 minutes ago, mozes said:

My first attempt to install AL headless on my Acer laptop.

I burned the image on a USB flash using Rufus but when I boot the laptop I am getting this error message

"Security Boot Fail"

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Mozes,

In the UEFI,

Switch off the security boot.  Choose Linux as the boot OS if necessary.

tapatrick has done brilliant screenshots.  Don't waste it.

5 hours ago, davide256 said:

mmm. Received  NUC7PJYH  last nite, straight forward to configure it for USB boot, disable unused peripherals, and get AL headless up and running in RAM as Roonbridge.

But not finding it to be an improvement from overclocked Pi3b+/AL/LPS 1.2 so far; sounds like an improved version of microRendu for detail but tone colors and dynamics

don't "pop" like they do with RPI3. Ran it off 19/12V for HDplex, but could not get it to complete  boot on 12V/ LPS 1.2. Appreciate suggestions above, would really like to

see if  better PS solves.

Also 2 simple questions

1) does it matter which USB port is used for boot?

2) does it matter which port is used for asynch USB connection?

That's strange.  Mine running Headless NAA can be booted up by LPS-1.2 consistently.

1) Seems little difference between USB ports used for boot.  I tried only the front two, though.

2) No idea.  Never tried swapping.

A followup Q.  Any SQ difference when boot with different USB sticks?  Well, I know that the answer "should be" No.  But we never know.

41 minutes ago, Middy said:

pushed the mobo back against the where connectors protrudes

@Middy,

"connectors protrudes" are the HDMI ports, LAN ports, ..., correct?

How do you do the pushing?  Do you hold the USB ports on the front side or insert something between the metal and the mono as a lever?

43 minutes ago, Middy said:

Pull the plastic and metal side away from the mobo. 

This is the front side, the side that has a power button?

45 minutes ago, Middy said:

connectors and ensure they are all undone

Only 3 sets of connectors, wide black, small 4-pin white and two point form connector for the WiFi attenna?  Correct?

Only two screws needed to be unscrewed from the mother board, correct?

There are lots of soft paddings sticked on the ports, should I keep them or take them apart?

54 minutes ago, Middy said:

Fingers on both hands together

Sorry, cannot understand the meaning of the sentence above.

Thank you for your help.

Hi,

I'm going to complete the Network Bridge Walk-through in a few days.  Just need to double check that it works.  Before this, the novice CAers may want to consider the following:

1. Do you need a Network Bridge?

If you're using a star topology, that is everything connected to a router (or switch), there is no need to use the Network bridge.

image.thumb.png.d00005b6ddb187654c01dc70db975dae.png

2. What is a Network Bridge.

image.thumb.png.bdd1908ee08152d88d29ab54f4c0ad31.png

A control PC is linked both to the router and the audio PC.

* In principle LAN1 can be a WiFi connected to the router as shown in the mother thread "A novel ...".  In practice, my walk-through will handle only the LAN case.

51 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Trying to run Roonserver headless on the NUC7PJYH, using USB attached SDXC storage.... mounting USB drives is driving me crazy. This is what I see using blkid for the drives

(480/128 gb storage)

Can anyone guide me on how to format the lines properly for mounting?

/dev/sdb1: UUID="6C96-68C4" TYPE="exfat" PTTYPE="dos" PARTUUID="7f653070-01"
/dev/sdc1: UUID="3233-6437" TYPE="exfat"

USB should be automounted in lxqt.

20 hours ago, simonklp said:

I notice that no matter it is AL lqxt or headless, there is always a problem of running HQPE with the "poly-sinc-lp" filter for playing Redbook to DSD512. The problem is that just when the music started to play after the initialization time of about a minute or so, there is always some error messages saying like "… no body care … irq #136 … disabled …", or similar. The HQPDcontrol also returns an error message of "failure to connect to HQPlayer".

However, I haven't encountered this kind of problem for HQP on Windows.

Have any of you also encountered this problem on AL?

Why use HQPE in lxqt?  Why not HQP desktop in Linux like what you did in Windows?

9 hours ago, rettib2001 said:

I have up until now been using an nuc7i7bnh as a combined server and endpoint.

Today I tried it as an endpoint using my macbook pro as a server (knowing that it isn't highly regarded as an AL server but hey, in lieu of anything better suited to the task I tried it any way). 

Well... The sound quality was much better than the nuci7bnh on its own. Crazy. 

Conclusion I need a second nuc. 

I'm edging towards a nuc7pjyh with a fanless case powered by a Paul Hynes SR4 (which I should receive before the end of the year) but I'd just like to know whether or not my i7 nuc, which has a tdp rating of 28, could be powered by the SR4 (2a/20a transient) 

In 'endpoint' mode the cpu usage is only about 3/4% and aside from one stick of 8gb ram there nothing else connected to it. 

If it can it opens up the option of a much more powerful server. 

For the SR4 that outputs 19V and 2A , there are headrooms for 28W tdp.  I trust that SR4 has >80% efficiency.  I may be wrong.

17 minutes ago, lmitche said:

There are typically three functions in audio playback software:

Controller = the process running the GUI typically laptop, tablet, or phone and displaying the view of music index and metadata pushed from the server with playback controls

Renderer = Streamer or Endpoint with connection to DAC

Server = the process indexing the music and pushing the music to Renderer as requested from the controller

Most audio software implementations use this model.

This is based on the MVC (Model, View, Controller) paradigm typically used in most GUI based development environments.

These processes can live on one machine or be spread across multiple machines.

In my experience the best SQ comes from separating these functions into three machines. One could use four with a Nas acting as a virtual disk to a server.

Great post, Larry.    This is also the model for ROON, correct?

Just now, lmitche said:

Yep, your browser as well.

So for the best SQ, the renderer should be in headless (audio PC, the end point), the server should be in headless (server PC that holds the files) as well and the control PV (a tablet, say) that's in the same subnet as the server.  The perfect ROON model.

For HQP users, NAA in headless(audio PC), HQPE in headless (server PC that holds the files) and the control PC using browswer connected to the HQPE.

Are these descriptions correct?