IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

11 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Hi Martin,

Still impressed that you took the Prestige to such heights!

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan,

TBH it was a zero risk play. By disconnecting the SSD from the power I reverse the change in about five minutes.

When I first got the box it had Vortexbox's newest version of the OS ....but, I could only connect to one USB at a time, and I have 4x512GB. I ended up loading up their latest open source version, which is years old. This allowed to me mount the four USB sticks, but also degraded the sound quality very slightly; still a LOT better than vanilla Ubuntu which I tried first.

AL more than recovered that lost quality, and saved me buying a second NUC.

M

On 12/6/2018 at 12:48 AM, greenleo said:

@Middy,

"connectors protrudes" are the HDMI ports, LAN ports, ..., correct?

How do you do the pushing?  Do you hold the USB ports on the front side or insert something between the metal and the mono as a lever?

This is the front side, the side that has a power button?

Only 3 sets of connectors, wide black, small 4-pin white and two point form connector for the WiFi attenna?  Correct?

Only two screws needed to be unscrewed from the mother board, correct?

There are lots of soft paddings sticked on the ports, should I keep them or take them apart?

Sorry, cannot understand the meaning of the sentence above.

Thank you for your help.

Hi GL,

Did you get the motherboard out OK?

Any thoughts or comments?

I will be doing this as soon as my isopropanol arrives - next week. I have also bought the Master Gel recommended on the vid posted by Rajiv.

Last week I watched another vid which dealt with the same box as I have bought, the chap had trouble getting the mobo out and so the cut the film and returned with it extracted ....without showing them doing it - so I am guessing it took a reasonable amount of carefully applied force.

Thx,

M

P.S. Middy, thanks for your observations to GL.

7 minutes ago, davide256 said:

I've reached the end of my playing around with NUC7PJYH as endpoint . The  way to resolve the issues with it was to use ISO Regen/LPS 1.2 at which point no more glare

or mid range suck out. Using ISO Regen/LPS 1.2 with  RPI3 remained better than NUC7PJYH.

Hi Dave,

Shame you live in Virginia and not London! Interesting findings. I have a couple of RPi3s lying around, I may well try one in place of my NUC7PJYH; although I must say it is doing sterling work for me.

ATB,

M

19 hours ago, greenleo said:

Thank you M, especially for the photos.  Flexed means bending, correct?  Which side did you do the flexing, the front side or the back side?

L.

Hi L,

Sorry, missed this = Yes.

I was looking at the pads and connectors and checking that nothing was fixed to the case, which it isn't. I bent the casing away from both sides which have the USB/RJ45/Power switch before I then removed the mobo.

9 hours ago, ray-dude said:

My apologies to all who speak English vs Teenager American (or even Texan ;) 

Hi Ray,

I have to say I have gone in the opposite direction, I am building barricades around my vocab and am retreating more into Dickens and Trollope!

I was talking to a youth group at the weekend who were discussing how many 'fleshy' friends they have, I said that ALL my friends are fleshy ....then started to think about various blogs I post into. Damn, the lines are getting blurred.

♄€↳ρ ♔€ ☈€☂ꍏ♗♫ ♔☿ ⓢꍏ♫♗☂☿!

M