IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

@austinpop Thank you for the additional impressions. May I ask where you ended up with your end point SqueezeLite parameter settings?  (your /etc/squeezelite.conf )

I've just stood up my NUC7CJYH as a Roon Bridge end point, and want to experiment with the Roon Server/SqueezeLite end point configuration that you developed (alas, I confess that the myriad of SqueezeLite parameters are all still pig latin to me)

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

1 minute ago, mourip said:

When in headless mode and I run alconf and chose option #1 "Save system (If in ram mode)" does this mean that if I run that script it will save my settings if my USB drive is still in place?

So what happens if I am in ram mode, pull the USB drive and then make a change? Is that something that basically only affects that session and is gone when I reboot?

I assume that if I am not in ram mode and I make a change it will always be saved to my USB drive for the next boot?

I was playing with this last night.  the alconf option 1 invokes a script to copy things back to the USB.  If you are in RAM mode and the USB is removed, the script basically errors out.  If the USB is inserted and you're in RAM mode, the changed files will be copied back to the USB while you continue to run out of RAM.

If you're not in RAM mode, the changes you're making are direct to the USB and available for the next reboot

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

7 hours ago, austinpop said:

Yes, this is the reality of NUC-world. It's a bit wild west. 

As regards squeezelite, the main parameter for SQ is the -b one for preallocated buffers. I was lucky that my first experiment with AL was on a Zenith SE that already used squeezelite as its internal player. I was able to duplicate the settings in the existing conf file.

Other than that it's trial and error and forums! I can try and help out, but no guarantees. First, get me a few key things:

• install squeezelite (not R2) from the AL guide
  • amount of RAM on your NUC?
  • Run squeezelite -l and tell me your output
  • Do you care about DSD? Does your DAC require DoP?

We'll go from there.

Thank you Rajeev

I just got my NUC7CJYH w/ 8GB up and running headless in RAM root (thank you and everyone here).  Runs great as a Roon Bridge, connected via USB to my Chord Blu2 (then Chord DAVE DAC).  Upstream I have a vanilla Mac Mini (OSX) running my Roon Core, not yet optimized.  With this setup, I need the end point to just pass things bit perfect to the BluDAVE and let it do its (considerable) magic.

The tunability of the Squeezelite end point (vs Roon Bridge) seems like a great opportunity to dig in and figure out what is driving the SQ boosts we're all hearing.

[audiolinux@audiolinux ~]$ squeezelite -l

Output devices:

null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)

default:CARD=Blu2              - Blu2, USB Audio - Default Audio Device

sysdefault:CARD=Blu2           - Blu2, USB Audio - Default Audio Device

front:CARD=Blu2,DEV=0          - Blu2, USB Audio - Front speakers

surround21:CARD=Blu2,DEV=0     - Blu2, USB Audio - 2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers

surround40:CARD=Blu2,DEV=0     - Blu2, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers

surround41:CARD=Blu2,DEV=0     - Blu2, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers

surround50:CARD=Blu2,DEV=0     - Blu2, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers

surround51:CARD=Blu2,DEV=0     - Blu2, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers

surround71:CARD=Blu2,DEV=0     - Blu2, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers

iec958:CARD=Blu2,DEV=0         - Blu2, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

My /etc/conf.d/squeezelite settings are:

parameters="-o front:CARD=Blu2,DEV=0 -b 2097152:2097152"

(piggybacking on your findings that maximizing buffers makes things better, although I'm wondering if weighting more towards the input or output would move the SQ needle...TBD)

However, I was also looking at the real time priority, parameters for connecting to the DAC, and even codec settings as potential SQ levers (TBD how the stew of latency and compute and OS priorities all come together when you expand the test matrix)

I hoping to dive in this weekend and start doing some investigations.  If you (or others) have run into dead ends or opportunity areas with Squeezelite as the end point, it be great to build on that!

Fascinating to look at the network traffic while things are running!  Really shines a light on what Roon core is doing (the most opaque part of our chains right now).  When I recover a bit, I'll repeat my ALSA circular buffer experiments while watching network traffic.  

I am very hopeful that maximizing the buffer at the OS level (ALSA) and as far away as possible from Roon Core will give us the biggest lift, and the most direct immunity from any transient behaviors from the player, etc. (my spider sense is that the -b buffers are giving us an important but indirect benefit, but the proof will be in the pudding!)

Thank you @mansr for the correction/redirect, and thank you @vortecjr (and Google translate) for the link to the blog post (wow, that clears up a lot of things!)   Time to brush up on my Italian and revisit my notes from today.  Thanks again!

I'm running SqueezeLite R2 1.8.4, but only because that was the first option on the AudioLinux install guide.  I haven't compared sound quality, but from the docs it looks like the functionality is aligned between R2 and the community version, but with different flags to enable.

squeezelite-R2

Lightweight headless squeezebox client emulator with 'native' DSD support (thanks to Daphile).

This is a modified version of squeezelite by Adrian Smith (Triode). At the moment of writing (October 2015), original code is here: https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/, master branch here is a clone.

This version was originally meant to inspect pcm header to detect the real samplerate, depth and endianess, in order to override the wrong information coming from the server when transcoding or upsampling.

October, 4 2015 R2 features has been incorporated in Daphile, March, 10 2016 in Audiolinux.

Since March, 15 2016 it's included in the squeezebox community version of squeezelite, mantained by Ralph Irving.

Download page: https://github.com/marcoc1712/squeezelite-R2/releases

27 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Gave my ethernet interface high RT priority as well as my USB port to which my DDC connects:

/etc/rtirq.conf

---
RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="xhci_hcd eno1"

# Highest priority.
#RTIRQ_PRIO_HIGH=90
RTIRQ_PRIO_HIGH=95

Looking forward to hearing how it sounds @Dutch

I went back and forth on whether the ethernet should have high priority.  

Between the the OG reports of improved SQ by network bridging (which I interpreted as basically isolating the ethernet segment) and using squeezelite to front load network traffic, it seems that ethernet traffic (or processing ethernet traffic) could be causing SQ to degrade.

On the other hand, Roon continually streams data to Roon Bridge.  Would a higher priority for ethernet make that interface more predictable/less variable as packets on the ethernet segment continually interrupt the system?

The squeezelite buffer experiments and the OG bridged network findings do point to something happening on the ethernet processing side of the end point (which is wild).

8 minutes ago, rickca said:

Once you have things working, make a backup of your flash drive.  I had things working just like I wanted.  Then I edited a single file.  The next time I booted I had filesystem integrity issues.  I'm not sure it's recoverable so I'm starting over.  Don't be like me.

Better still, write up your recipe and post it here!  

Every time someone does, I pick up a new tidbit about how to configure/tune these systems (blacklist.conf....who knew?)

38 minutes ago, greenleo said:

What is the OG report?  Any link?

Sorry, I was referring to the original tweak from the mother "A novel way..." thread (OG == Original Gangster ... I blame my teenager for polluting my vocabulary ;)

I did start to work my way through the mother thread, but there is a LOT there.  I'm currently holding out for an  EtherGen (or equivalent), but I'm tempted to do some bridging experiments, just for the learning.  I appreciate the guides!

Just now, austinpop said:

Hi Ray,

Yes, as Leo points out, please do use the first post index as a way to make some sense of the OG (I like it!) thread.

BTW - how is the squeezeilte parameter optimization going? I still need to try your settings. So is this still the high water mark for you:

1. -b 4097152:97152
  2. -a 1000000:4::

?

My apologies to all who speak English vs Teenager American (or even Texan ;)  

Yes Rajiv, these are my current settings, at least until I have some more time for listening tests.  I thought I was hearing some differences as I went from 1MB to 10MB on the -a parameter, but fatigue was setting in and I wasn't trusting my critical hearing any more.   I need to repeat these test later this week.

For the -b parameter, I was arbitrarily shifting as much of the 4GB buffer as felt safe to the streaming side.  I was evaluating order of magnitude impact by testing extremes, so please don't consider this optimized. 

As you play with these, I'd be curious to hear your impressions on SQ lift that is still attributable to the server NUC.  I only have a single NUC right now so I haven't been able to experiment, but it seems that if the network activity from server to end point is all in a ~1 second burst, the impact of the upstream server should be diminished for the other 99% of music playback time.  (Per your finding, this would obviously not the case with Roon Bridge on the end point, since the server NUC would be streaming continuously)

Basically, do gratuitous buffers on the end point NUC (both to the streaming side and to the DAC side) make the upstream server less critical for SQ?

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, rickca said:

@ray-dude thank you so much for taking the time to document those procedures in detail.  It's extremely helpful.

I was just thinking that it would be useful to find out exactly what various menu items do under the covers.  It's a very good way to learn.

I should have mentioned it (for future folks searching the thread), but the "what does ramsave do" example I gave wasn't an idle one.  I've been experimenting with having my music library in memory on my 7i7DNKE and lost it after an upgrade/reboot (huh).  

Turns out I had put the local library in /media/music (adjacent to /media/samba, which is where I mounted my music share from my Mac mini server).  Diving into the ramsave script, I saw that the /media directory is excluded from the rsync process that copies things back to the USB stick.

Moved my local music directory to the root directory, and problem solved (without having to pester Piero ;)

2 hours ago, rickca said:

@ray-dude there are tons of Linux primers out there.  Is there one you recommend to more fully understand what is going on under the covers of the menu items?  I don't want a reference 'bible' kind of book, but rather one that highlights the commands and procedures we are likely to use with AL without getting too sophisticated.  I have a good background in programming (started with 370 assembler and principles of operation).  I even taught undergrad Computer Science at a university.  But that was lightyears ago.

I'm sure there are but I haven't looked for one.  I have a basic Unix background from 30 years ago (yikes!), so I can suss out man pages and unwind shell scripts.  For me everything else has been google, and trying stuff at the command line (and keeping a cheat sheet up to date!)

By convention, most Unix apps have a -h (help) flag (for example "squeezelite -h"), and/or a man (manual) page (for example, "man dd").  Most of the visible things Piero has done with AL has been with shell scripts, so you can use "more" or your text editor of choice (I use nano) to look at files.

A bonus when you're running in ram mode and have the USB stick removed: no matter how badly you mess up, you're a reboot away from a clean start!

Quick question for those that have been playing with LMS as their music server.  I'm finding it plays much nicer with the squeezelite end point vs Roon Server, but I would like to do an apples to apples comparison.

Which processes are folks singling out to include in /opt/rtapp/rtapp.conf to give the server process realtime priority?  It seems to be running as a daemon, with a lot of subprocesses,, but I'm getting a bit lost tracking them down to see which should have a priority boost.

Thank you Rajiv! I was assuming the Perl script was invoking some binary process that actually connected to the end point.  Back in the day, Perl was a write once, rewrite many scripting language for me, so I twitch a bit whenever I have to figure out someone else’s Perl code ;)  I may have some leftover eggnog tomorrow and see if there is a gem in there that actually manages the interface with the end point. 

17 hours ago, ray-dude said:

Thank you Rajiv! I was assuming the Perl script was invoking some binary process that actually connected to the end point.  Back in the day, Perl was a write once, rewrite many scripting language for me, so I twitch a bit whenever I have to figure out someone else’s Perl code ;)  I may have some leftover eggnog tomorrow and see if there is a gem in there that actually manages the interface with the end point. 

I was able to spend some time this morning walking through the LMS source tree.  The transport is a lot simpler than I thought it would be (Roon-think had polluted my assumptions).  Looks to be a very simple HTTP streaming transport, backed by more sophisticated perl-based state machine for managing what is getting streamed (seeking in files, pause, play, etc).

The only items I could see that may need higher priority were some of the transcoding binaries (faad, flac, etc) in /opt/logitechmediaserver-git/Bin/i386-linux   However, for server-based sources (vs streaming sources from Tidal or Qobuz), things are getting streamed so quickly to the large buffer squeezelite end point (-b and -a flags), I'm not sure that fiddling with transcoding priorities would do much to move the needle (it just takes a second or two to move things to the end point)

In fact, as a neat parlor trick, if you kill LMS on the server (or Roon server), the end point happily keeps on playing, with no change in SQ that I could detect.  Makes me wonder again if any server side optimizations have an impact once you get past the initial 1-2 seconds it needs to fill the gratuitously large endpoint buffer.

EDIT: same trick works if you disconnect the end point from ethernet after the buffer has been loaded up...the end point just happily keeps playing (a brute force way to avoid the skipping you get with Roon server ;)

@austinpop when you were doing your servers and storage evaluations, were you using the large buffer(s) (-b and -a) squeezelite configuration on your end point?  If so, were you able to hear a difference in SQ?

I was able to do some more experiments playing with gratuitously large end-point buffers, with some interesting findings.

As a reminder, I’m running AL headless as a RAM boot server on a 16GB NUC7i7DNKE, and my end point on a headless AL RAM boot 8GB NUC7CJYH.  End point is connected by USB to a Chord stack.

For the NUC server, I’m running both Roon Server and LMS, testing a combination of local music files (in ram), SMB mounted files from my Mac Mini server (vanilla ethernet/switches/server) and TIDAL streaming

For the end point, I’ve been experimenting with large buffers in squeezelite (configuration below)

/usr/bin/squeezelite -o front:CARD=SCALER,DEV=0 -b 4097152:97152 -d all=info -a 50000000:4 -c pcm -x -p 93

With this config, music is loaded from the server to the end point in a couple seconds.

The hypothesis I’ve been chasing is that a large in memory buffer (-b parameter) between the end point and the server will insulate the end point from any upstream fun, and a large in memory buffer between the endpoint software and the DAC (-a parameter) will insulate SQ (as much as possible) from other things going on on the end point.

What I’ve been playing with today is trying to understand how the buffer is loaded up by the server in various configurations.  To keep things consistent and avoid misinterpreting things, I do the following:

* Kill and restart squeezelite on the end point (to clear the buffers, etc)

* Start up playback on the server, queuing up multiple tracks of the same type (TIDAL, local, file server, bitrate, etc)

* Wait ~10 seconds, then physically disconnect the end point from ethernet

* All content was 44/16 lossless, so  I am long way from filling any buffers

TL/DR, with the squeezelite endpoint, Roon Server and LMS both buffer up current and next track, whether local files or streaming TIDAL content.

Roon Server, TIDAL content

Roon seems to buffer up the current track and the next track.  With longer classical pieces, I’ve had the end point happily keep playing for 20+ minutes when disconnected from ethernet (I have not tested the limit of disconnected playback)

Roon Server, local content (on NUC)

Same as above

Roon Server, content from file server (Mac Mini)

Same as above

LMS, TIDAL content

I haven’t gotten this to work yet, so not tested

LMS, local content (on NUC)

LMS also seems to queue up the current track and next track into the end point buffer.

LMS, content from file server (Mac Mini)

Same as above

Quick Thoughts

I did not hear any SQ difference when disconnecting the end point from ethernet.  I was physically getting up to do so (vs having someone else do so while listening) so this isn’t conclusive, but I also did not hear any difference in SQ when I killed the server process (Roon Server and LMS) on the server NUC (caveat: I have vanilla power and network in my setup)

I found it very interesting and encouraging that Roon is doing a stream-ahead preload of the buffers with TIDAL (buffering will give the same advantage with TIDAL as it does with local files)  There may be a practical path to effectively decouple the end point from the upstream part of your chain (except for the couple seconds it takes to buffer up content from the server)

In a buffer heavy end point configuration, it may be most beneficial to make the NUC7i7DNKE the end point (improves end point SQ) and make the NUC7CJYH the server (since it does very little when not filling up the buffer)

There is more experimentation to do in more normal operations (when does buffer get refilled, what happens when skipping songs or seeking within a song, etc)

With access to both the squeezelite and LMS source code, there may be options to further optimize/batch/minimize network interactions between server and end point (the SQ lift by having network traffic front loaded is material....seems like idle ethernet == good for the end point)

12 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I just posted my impressions on server differences over on the new thread Larry created. But to be clear, I was using Roon Bridge in those comparisons. I could not rapidly switch between 2 different instances of Roon Server and have it work with a Squeezelite endpoint.

If what you suggest is true, then if I redid the experiment by running LMS on both my servers, and switching back and forth by attaching the squeezebox endpoint to one or the other, I should perceive no difference between the servers?

I will try this later tonight if possible.

Yes, that would test the hypothesis.

In watching the squeezelite logs, it looks like it tries to reconnect to the original server for 30 seconds before going back into discovery mode.  To switch quickly, you may need to kill the end point, stop Roon Server or LMS on server #1, bring up Server #2, and restart squeezelite and have it reconnect to your new server

It would be fantastic if large end point buffers give some decoupling from the server configurations (I'm reading your post now...lots to digest there)

Rajiv, my critical listening stamina is (way) at an end for the day, but I ended up with LMS on both my server NUC (all music files local and in RAM) and LMS on my MacBook Pro (WiFi, accessing files from my Mac Mini file server)  These are basically my best/worst case configs, without having to worry about Roon authorization switching.

To make swapping back and forth easier on the end point, I'm specifying the server IP in the command line for squeezelite:

/usr/bin/squeezelite -s 192.168.4.126 -o front:CARD=SCALER,DEV=0 -b 4097152:97152 -d all=debug -a 50000000:4 -c pcm -x -p 93

Lets me swap back and forth in the start up time for squeezelite (<10 seconds).

There is enough network chatter going back and forth between server and endpoint (status stuff) that I'm also experimenting with kill LMS on the NUC and LMS on the MacBook Pro to see if I can detect any delta in SQ.

My ears are cooked, so I'm going to revisit things tomorrow with a fresh set of ears.  Looking forward to hearing about what you're hearing!

A quick update for this thread on my experiments with large buffer squeezelite end points.  When running LMS and Roon Core on various servers, I wasn't able to detect any difference in SQ when connecting to my large buffer squeezelite NUC core.  Similarly, I couldn't detect a difference in SQ for files local (in RAM) on my NUC server vs files pulled from an SMB share over the network.  

I'm looking forward to hearing reports from folks with more power and network configurations, in case they are able to pick up on differences that I can not.

Those interested in the discussion should check out the server thread (linked below)

Best wishes for the New Year!

Ray

)