IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

Simple tips also, i have nothing against any geeky tips for those who can, anything that furthers a development should be encouraged.

Id love a custom low latency stock trading server blade.

To me though its as useful as a half built  ikea coffee table..

Greenleo's on the fly guide is a great contibution. Always there are many tiered groups in a thread, we have an evil twin thread already to cater for the analysis, debunking and electrical attributes. This should be a great companion  to the main thread.

Thanks @rickca

Good luck..

• austinpop changed the title to AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

If you have the time/ inclination. Lapping/ flat is a huge help. All CPU HS are now lapped flat smooth.

It may be just my case ...and case that...was terrible.  Early akasa..

A better paste never hurts. MX4 is non conductive..tick

Is it an independant block of aluminium with 4 screws.?

Both sides flat smooth. shiny doesnt mean flat..

If you do post a picture from angles with flash. So i can advise.

More to see what others are like. They charge a lot so i expect good engineering and quality. 

Extrusion cases should be cheap to make.. laser cut plate holes and plating?

Nice mark up for exclusivity..

Good luck my friend. 

Dave

Apologies all, late night posting on other thread was a bit rambling.

We don't need a high spec Graphics chip to show a GUI. CUBA offloaded excluded. But 4K out ? No

If you can overclock in linux you can underclock also. Ie reduce voltage/GPU clock speed. Ie noise and heat.

A lunix expert can google.

'overclock nvidia linux command line.'

And figure out if under clocking adds SQ or makes Extreme mode more viable.

A more simple solution....for heat only

8 -12 small thin metal washers.

Remove side covers. 

Place washers on screw holes

Add side plate and refit screws

1-2 mm gap for air flow.

Even bottom cover can be spaced.

Or get the drill out...

I hope this helps

Dave

I did it the other way around. I had a spare LPS S booster 13v with a quad cable Ifi DC MOD. Removing the fan made a difference to my ears. Subtle but there...

Power is the main factor and a lovely job you have done with your PSU.

Have you considered adding Linear LDOs on your outputs? Ldovr for example?

Many people seem happy with thier addition of a low noise regulator. Not all of us can afford some of the better LPS's, i wish i could make one Boneman.

Thanks for posting it here.

Dave ?

@greenleo

Hi mate, it is a little brute force but controlled in my case. It was pushing Mobo away left and pulling the case away to the right. Fingers on both hands together 

I pushed the mobo back against the where connectors protrudes.

Pull the plastic and metal side away from the mobo. This starts to give some space to tease it out.. 

Take a picture of connectors and ensure they are all undone.

Its really a 3 hand job...  i should have made a little tool. A small piece of wire with a little 'L, so it can go into a mother board screw hole in the pcb to help lift it out.

My board was fiddly, just have a little patients, try and judge reaction. Check try again... 

Good luck  mate hope it helps a little..?

@austinpop i saw your case much better the Celeron. It looks machined from solid and anodised in the video.

Space for some little cable mods from stock, shielding probabilities

. Apologies if i worried anyone, i post for the cluless just to give basic advice, As in the main so am i..More as early posts mentioned scary heat from extreme mode.

Just happy you're  happy my friend. That's the main thing on here.

A nice early xmass gift..??????⌨??

3 hours ago, MrUnderhill said:

P.S. Middy, thanks for your observations to GL.

I used to build aerospace pumps and solder PCBS

My wife takes me apart once a week.. so i have some practice...

Just happy it helps, entirely my pleasure honestly.

Wait until i get AL, then people wont be so happy...

Whats yogurt for, what flavour do i need for AL.

If i get a server should i get a butler or just a waiter...

@greenleo

Really happy it went well My friend, especially since its the only thing i can help with. Removing the fan did have a positive impact for me.

You  will be hand building blade servers for Google next week. ??‍? 

Those sponges are the type of thing Holland shielding  uses for thier enclosure's.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Good luck

Dave

The start of my very very basic questions... pre AL

Do i need a network switch for my celeron and I3 NUCs. I hoped it would be just an Ethernet cable between them.

Aiming for local files on I3 only.  No tidal Qubuz ect. 

Bleeding easy over bleeding edge...

My CV lacks: was data manager at Google deep mind....☹

Thanks Leo, ive been reading the complications of connection especially people buying expensive aquavox box's and additional power supplies to avoid more noise in the chain.

With people holding out for Uptones ether regen. tm

I hoped 1 Audioquest pearl 1m ethernet cable would connect both. Cheap and simple as i dont require an internet connection for streaming .

Just load my PCM flacs onto a usb and copy them to the 'NUC server i3'  Wifi looks very complicated as does most of this.

Very clever knowledgeable people are doing good work.

I want roon on 2 boxes.

Al running on both hopefully in RAM

A simple request when writing but the fear of God in me.

Plus i want to be as near as possible completed before troubling our Italian AL expert. 

A cheap router suggestion would be welcome as i think i can manage to plug it in...?

I do really know nothing and need baby steps. So i am asking the basics, think grand mother than grand master..

Thanks Leo, ive been reading the complications of connection especially people buying expensive aquavox box's and additional power supplies to avoid more noise in the chain.

With people holding out for Uptones ether regen. tm

I hoped 1 Audioquest pearl 1m ethernet cable would connect both. Cheap and simple as i dont require an internet connection for streaming .

Just load my PCM flacs onto a usb and copy them to the 'NUC server i3'  Wifi looks very complicated as does most of this.

Very clever knowledgeable people are doing good work.

I want roon on 2 boxes.

Al running on both hopefully in RAM

A simple request when writing but the fear of God in me.

Plus i want to be as near as possible completed before troubling our Italian AL expert. 

A cheap router suggestion would be welcome as i think i can manage to plug it in...?

I do really know nothing and need baby steps. So i am asking the basics, think grand mother than grand master..

@hifi25nl

Hi have i purchased the wrong version Piero.?

I just bought 0.7 headless as it was mentioned it has LXQT GUI to help set up AL before going headless later.?

I have no knowledge of Linux other whats been spoken of here. 

I plan to use 2 NUCS with roon later.

Server end point..

Can you advise if i have made a mistake...

Booting and typing menu is all i have managed so far.. But no LXQT option..

Going back to basics..old but new to me...

As there are going to be some unused ports and i am sure these are in the draws of a few people. Has or is anyone using these in the NUCs.

I use IFI for post PC filtering into the ISO R. Jitter bugs as mentioned below, these were used for noise on the bus internally as well as the direct chain. 

Side note: what is on your chain now. Added or removed. ?

Looking for a stocking filler that doesn't mean a divorce...

Jitter bug wise it was only for an unused USB port. This device i assumed affects the motherboard circuit, not just the 5v data+- out.

Lps1 Iso + intona does my data transfer.

LPS1.2 seems the way to go power in.

Stripping out all hardware improves things. Does JB quiet thing down even more.  Was just a thought going over whats been used before. 

Other than better power i cant find anything to filter the motherboard itself.

+cheap ?

I hoped @lmitche as he was active on JB had some to try one in a stripped down NUC on an unused usb port.

As Austinpop mentioned all other things still apply with improving Computer audio SQ. With the NUC and its unique stripped down application have people revisited thier chain with the NUC AL set up.  

Sorry i am new to this with a million questions in my head. SQ improvements are addictive...

Merry xmas

Dave