IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

Any reason to not try AL with a NUC6i5 I currently use running Win10/AO/Fidelizer? I understand the concept of using a powerful CPU and having it operate without strain, but wouldn't the i5 have plenty of HP as a Roon endpoint with AL?

Also is there a trial period for AL? I realize its not expensive . . .

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
27 minutes ago, mozes said:

I want to edit the .mpdconf file to change the dac from 0 to 1.

I reached the file edit menu. I attached the screenshot. How do I open the .mpdconf file to edit it? I am pressing enter on it but nothing happens. Excuse my ignorance.

The sound is coming now from the aux output of the PC.

The DAC shows number 1 in AlsaMixer.

15489674120671369776213252248737.jpg

15489676364698567915289723321674.jpg

15489677366045776083763654449341.jpg

did you click on edit (number 4 along the bottom)?

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

okay, guys, i could use your help . . . 

i've had great luck with AL so, far -- installed it on my nuc6i5 as an endpoint with roon rock running on a separate server.  the endpoint was recognized no problem and was able to stream.

this afternoon, i installed AL on my nuc 7i5 and configured it as a roon server.  got the server running and it sees all of my sonos zones, but it does not see my nuc6i5 running roonbridge

so here's what i've got:

roon endpoint:  nuc6i5 running roonbridge, static ip set to 192.168.0.99

image.thumb.png.0db9d5357f48e8a9c3364ce2d3f266ad.png

roon server: nuc7i5 running roonserver, static ip set to 192.168.0.98

image.thumb.png.a8ffedfc5c1ffa6f4751d9b399837859.png

but can't see the endpoint in roon

image.thumb.png.9aed92688135b516492e80e4934f99b9.png

any ideas?  anything in the bios settings that would make a difference?

thanks!

54 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

okay, guys, i could use your help . . . 

i've had great luck with AL so, far -- installed it on my nuc6i5 as an endpoint with roon rock running on a separate server.  the endpoint was recognized no problem and was able to stream.

this afternoon, i installed AL on my nuc 7i5 and configured it as a roon server.  got the server running and it sees all of my sonos zones, but it does not see my nuc6i5 running roonbridge

so here's what i've got:

roon endpoint:  nuc6i5 running roonbridge, static ip set to 192.168.0.99

image.thumb.png.0db9d5357f48e8a9c3364ce2d3f266ad.png

roon server: nuc7i5 running roonserver, static ip set to 192.168.0.98

image.thumb.png.a8ffedfc5c1ffa6f4751d9b399837859.png

but can't see the endpoint in roon

image.thumb.png.9aed92688135b516492e80e4934f99b9.png

any ideas?  anything in the bios settings that would make a difference?

thanks!

i figured it out -- was the unique_id issue.  deleted the unique_id file from the bridge and rebooted.  finally appeared.

• 4 weeks later...

i also had no problems booting from usb stick, and loading to ram while running roon server.  used 32g stick and my nuc has 16g of ram.

@bobfa -- just realized your boot issues were more complicated and associated with your server build.  my comment clearly added no value!

11 hours ago, Boomboy said:

Thnx @jcn3 there is no side scroll so I pressed down and 2 more options appeared .

Is this the procedure? 

Stop running processes .. isolated 2 cores .. save into ram .. then reboot ? 

What does isolate irq threads mean ? Should I say y to that ?

Easiest thing to do is just maximize the window -- then you'll see a full list of options.  If you don't want to do that, then just arrow down.

Since I run in RAM, before I make changes and to ensure they're saved, I get out of RAMROOT first:

* Disable RAMROOT

* Reboot

* Make changes

* Reboot

* Enable RAMROOT

Not sure about the IRQ part -- I didn't enable that.

My NUC has just two cores, so I allocate one to audio processes.  I set everything to Extreme (vs Extreme2) -- that sounds good to me.

• 4 months later...

i'm running AL on a nuc running roon core.  booting from usb and ramroot enabled.

one thing i've noticed is that over time, more and more ram is consumed.  as this occurs, the nuc seems to search more slowly.  i'm assuming some cache is not being cleaned up.

is there any setting or anything i need to know about to prevent this from happening?

current approach is to save system and reboot.  it works, but not really convenient.

@hifi25nl - thoughts?

• 3 months later...

@BigAlMc -- i ran into this problem, too.  you're out of space on the usb stick. the issue is that you have to extend the partition to make it use ram properly.

here's what worked for me:

* make a new stick

* start AL

* load system to ramroot (menu > 2 system menu > 12 ramroot enable/disable)

* reboot and load system into ram

* resize the AL partition (menu > 2 system menu > 6 resize AL partition)

* save system

* reboot, but don't load to ram

* complete remainder of set up

* reboot and load system into ram

@hifi25nl -- i updated the menu, system, and kernel in my system.  the AL main menu shows 208, but the splash menu still shows 2.0.  did i actually update to 2.1?  do i need to do a new stick?

5 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

Menu version and audiolinux version are different

Menu 208 will add most of the changes from 2.0 to 2.1/2.1.1

so to be fully at 2.1.1, i need to make a new stick -- correct?

Just now, BigAlMc said:

Thanks Pierro,

Will give it a go.

Cheers,

Alan

alan -- fyi i am using a 32gb stick and my nuc has 16g of ram

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, jkelly said:

On that same update note...if my iPad running the Roon app says there is an Roon update - and I agree to update, will that update the RoonServer on Audiolinux? Or do I have to go to the audiolinux 2 menu and update there?

Yes, you can update Roon from within the app while running AL. Make sure you Save System if running in ram.