IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

I used etcher (on Windows 10) rather than rufus to create my bootable USB thumb drive with AL.  Just download the .gz file, use 7-zip to extract the .img, and point etcher to the .img and your USB thumb drive.  It works perfectly.  I booted the USB thumb drive on my Macbook Pro just to make sure it worked. 

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• austinpop changed the title to AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning
1 minute ago, mozes said:

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Maybe turn off Secure Boot in BIOS?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

Is anyone using wireless on their NUC?  My wireless card in my MBP supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz SSIDs just fine when running MacOS.  When I boot AL headless 0.5 the 5 GHz SSID doesn't show up in the list of network names.  Can anyone assist with troubleshooting?

1 minute ago, tapatrick said:

when you booted in EFI did you see the option to input wireless password

No I never saw such an option. The 2.4 GHz wireless works fine, it's just that I can't see my 5 GHz SSID.  I'd prefer to use 5 GHz.

6 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

I see, so you have the 2.4 GHz wireless working in AL okay?

Correct.  If you can find that guide to wireless, it might be really helpful.

30 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Cool. I must have a different model/OS combo. You can probably ignore what I suggest then.. :)

Remember, I don't have a NUC yet.  I'm preparing my USB flash drive on a mid-2012 retina MBP.  Clearly, the wireless card in the NUC will be different and I might not have the same problem.

My 5 GHz works perfectly when running MacOS even on the high channel numbers, but not with AL.

I'm working with Piero on this now and I will post the resolution if I get it working.  Probably some device driver or firmware that I'm missing.

3 hours ago, mozes said:

But then I realized that I have no clue how to connect my laptop to a network. I was following Greenleo guide, but didn't find anything on how to connect to a network. I will check the instructions on AL website, but if anyone knows the command, that will be very helpful.

Just connect it to your router/switch with Ethernet cable.  You don't have to do anything.  Wireless is another thing altogether.

41 minutes ago, Middy said:

methelated spirits or 100% alcohol is good to remove old thermal paste.

This stuff also works very well.

https://www.amazon.com/ArctiClean-Thermal-Compound-Remover-Purifier/dp/B001JYQ9TM

18 minutes ago, rettib2001 said:

Conclusion I need a second nuc.

What music software are you running ... HQPlayer, Roon, etc?

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

BTW - I don't have Intel Speedstep in my NUC7i7DNBE BIOS at all. I am guessing it's only applicable to Pentium, not Core i7?

The i7-8650U has Speed Shift technology which is a more sophisticated implementation of SpeedStep.

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Download a new image and reapply your settings. There is no persistence for the alconf settings although some will be correctly set by default. You may need to re-add any custom scripts as well. I built a checklist. No big deal if you know what you are doing. It gets easier with every release.

So you get to start from scratch again (although it gets easier with every release).  I guess we're going to get really good at this whether we want to or not.

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

But no control in the BIOS?

I'd have to look at the BIOS for your NUC.  I couldn't find much in this document.  Maybe the NUC BIOS is pretty basic.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC7i7DN_TechProdSpec.pdf

If you want to understand Speed Shift, here are two good sources

https://www.anandtech.com/show/9582/intel-skylake-mobile-desktop-launch-architecture-analysis/7

Scroll down the page to the section called Intel Speed Shift.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/9751/examining-intel-skylake-speed-shift-more-responsive-processors

9 hours ago, rettib2001 said:

I'd just like to know whether or not my i7 nuc, which has a tdp rating of 28, could be powered by the SR4 (2a/20a transient) 

Paul has said the SR4 can actually sustain 2.5A at 12V.  That's still just 30W.  Remember the 28W TDP is with no turbo boost.

If your server is going to run flat out for sustained periods, I don't think 30W will be enough ... but I don't use Roon so I don't know how much stress Roon Server puts on the CPU.

To give you some idea, have a look at this review.  Scroll down to the section on Power Consumption. 

https://nucblog.net/2017/04/kaby-lake-i7-nuc-conclusions/

33 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Ahh - looks like a heat issue. Not had that myself. Hopefully others can elaborate.

Unfortunately, NUC8i7BEH cooling is insufficient for sustained peak performance.  I clipped the following quote from

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i7BEH-i7-8559U-Mini-PC-Review.360356.0.html

We run synthetic loads to stress the system and identify for any potential throttling or stability issues. When subjected to Prime95 load, the CPU can be observed running as fast as 4.0 GHz before hitting a temperature ceiling of 88 C. Thereafter, clock rate immediately drops to a steady 2.9 GHz to maintain a cooler core temperature of 74 C as shown by our screenshot below. When considering that the base clock rate of the i7-8559U is 2.7 GHz, this means that the NUC is only able to sustain a Turbo Boost clock of just +200 MHz with only a temporary boost to 4.0 GHz for just the first initial few seconds. The results line up with our CineBench loop test above where performance is fastest during the start of the test before immediately dropping. Running both Prime95 and FurMark simultaneously will throttle both the CPU and GPU.

Also see the following thread

https://communities.intel.com/thread/145444

1 minute ago, davide256 said:

Did not observe much difference between HDPlex 19v vs LPS1.2 12V powering NUC7PJYH connected to DDC, but when using an ISO Regen between NUC and DDC with 5v USB replace enabled, the difference between PS used for ISO Regen is  glaring.

Which HDPLEX power supply do you have?  Is it the new 200W that just started shipping or an older model?

10 hours ago, bibo01 said:

He has also developed a simple tool to change buffer, period,... and test results.

Can you provide a link to this tool, please?

Once you have things working, make a backup of your flash drive.  I had things working just like I wanted.  Then I edited a single file.  The next time I booted I had filesystem integrity issues.  I'm not sure it's recoverable so I'm starting over.  Don't be like me.

I recently ended up with a flash drive that wouldn't boot because of a filesystem inconsistency that luckily got fixed with fsck.

I think maintaining AL on a flash drive is tempting fate.  Obviously, you always need a backup copy.

So, I'd like to put a bootable image on a hard drive or SSD on another machine and do my maintenance there.  When I'm happy with the changes/updates I would copy the image to a flash drive to use on my NUC.

Can someone explain how to do this?

1 hour ago, gsquared said:

I've found the easiest way to burn a USB Flash drive is using Etcher.

Thanks.  I used etcher to create my flash drive from the download.  Seems easier than rufus.