IGNORED

Beginner question

benzxc

Hey everyone!

I've just been getting interested in the whole world of hi-fi audio lately and have not yet invested in any equipments so far. I am, however, expecting to replace my current logitech speakers that I use with my macbook. I've been doing some research on the net and have seen that Audioengine 5 is quite often recommended. I was wondering if anyone can give me some guidance as to what equipment I should use? I am mainly listening to music that I rip from my CDs on my macbook and want a desktop speaker. Also should I bother getting an external USB DAC?

Thanks so much!!!

I really enjoy my A-5s; the sound is very good and the price reasonable. You may find them somewhat on the large size if you plan to use them on your desk next to the computers and the A-2s might work better. I have used them extensively with a nuforce udac and it helps. There might be better choices for a dac, though.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

I also dig my A5's but I agree they might be too large for your desk. The A2s also have great reviews.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

I really like my nuforce udac; its cheap, has a good volume pot, and a headphone out. It works very well on a desk for those reasons. I'm listening to my speakers through the nuforce right now and enjoying it. There are a ton of external dacs around that price point so you will want to read some of the threads on this site plus some online reviews to get a feel for what you want. But you can't go wrong with the nuforce udac given its price.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)