IGNORED

Tale of Two Dacs... we'll maybe three

I listen to digital about 50% of the time. But that percentage is increasing mostly due to Tidal. The rest of the time I'm a vinyl guy. Hey, I'm going to be 69 soon, so what can I say.

I have had a Benchmark Dac1 USB for a dozen years or so. I liked it. As I got more and more into computer audio I used it more and more. Then to experiment with MQA (don't start) I bought a Meridian Explorer2. I didn't like it better than the Benchmark, but I did like MQA (as I said, don't start).

I got the itch to try something new but not too expensive. I bought a Pro Ject PreBox S2 Digital for $400. Woah, I like this one. Nice smooth sound and lots of capability.

Around the same time I started using Roon instead of Audirvana Pro. I like the Pro Ject even more. Then I bought a SoTM Sms 200 and stopped using the USB on my iMac.

I liked it all. It was all sounding good. Better much better in fact.

Then I wanted to try some more "cheap" stuff and bought a Schiit Modi Multibit a couple of weeks ago. I liked that too and it was only $250.

So, after two weeks in the Schiit I went back to the Pro Ject. Woah, it's as good as the Mimby maybe better.

Then today I went back to the Benchmark Dac1 USB. Ugh. Now I know it's not so great anymore.

Part of me wants to buy a Qutest, or a Brooklyn + or a Yaggy (!) but those are much bigger commitments, financially.

Oh, I know by posting this you folks will suggest 40-eleven other Dacs that I've never heard of. Maybe I'll just go back to one of my 3 Turntables and listen to some vinyl for a while.

Analog: Rega P8 > Ortofon Cadenza Black > Bob's Devices 20:1 SUT > EAR 834P Deluxe MM/MC tube phono stage

Digital: Shanling ET-3 CD Transport. Streaming via SoTM SMS200 Ultra Neo w/ SPS500 power supply > Chord Hugo TT2

Sound: PS Audio PowerPlant3 >  Naim Supernait3 > Harbeth P3ESR

6 minutes ago, wanta911 said:

Why not stick with the S2? You seem to like it, there are positive reviews and it was designed by someone well known in the industry.

Well, if $400 can do this. What can $2000 do that's better?

I guess that's why. But mostly I'm thinking out loud and wondering... Pre Box S2 Digital vs. Modi Multibit, two very different Dacs. One Sabre ES the other Ladder Dac. I should prefer one or the other because of their basic differences - at least it seems that way to me.

I wonder if other people have experience with these two dacs and can help clarify things.

Analog: Rega P8 > Ortofon Cadenza Black > Bob's Devices 20:1 SUT > EAR 834P Deluxe MM/MC tube phono stage

Digital: Shanling ET-3 CD Transport. Streaming via SoTM SMS200 Ultra Neo w/ SPS500 power supply > Chord Hugo TT2

33 minutes ago, creativepart said:

Probably not a lot in my experience, especially if you're looking for huge difference. Of course there will be differences but will they be subjectively "better" or significant enough to justify the additional expenditure?

33 minutes ago, creativepart said:

Pre Box S2 Digital vs. Modi Multibit, two very different Dacs. One Sabre ES the other Ladder Dac. I should prefer one or the other because of their basic differences - at least it seems that way to me.

I own a Metrum Pavane NOS DAC that I have had for 3 years and recently acquired a Chord Qutest - 2 very different DACs that I have been comparing over the last 6 weeks. Yes it is easy to differentiate the presentation of each and they both do a great job according to their individual sound signatures. So which one is "better"? Well that depends on the material you are playing - the genre, the mastering etc. They both have their strengths & weaknesses. TBH if someone took one of them away I'd be quite happy living with the other.

I even have a Topping D50 that you can get for under 300 bucks and I'm amazed at how good it is for the price. Is it as good as the Qutest? The answer is no - not quite, but we aren't talking about night and day difference here. Is that cherry on the top worth another $1500?

There's a lot of enabling on these forums....I'm just trying to play devil's advocate ?

Thanks @wanta911, that was helpful.

Many thanks

12 hours ago, wanta911 said:

There's a lot of enabling on these forums....I'm just trying to play devil's advocate ?

I really think you ought to buy a 911... ;)

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

14 hours ago, creativepart said:

In my experience, what you are buying with a (well chosen) pricier DAC is a lower noise floor so more of the detail and nuance of the music comes through, plus better power supplies and output stage to provide a more substantial “3D” sound, giving more sense of reproducing a live musical performance in your listening room.

Percussion and large scale choral  music are particularly good tests of these attributes.

I owned the Project  for a while.  I can’t think of a better DAC for the money, but careful investment in a better DAC will certainly yield unsubtle improvements in SQ.  On the other hand, a pricier DAC  isn’t automatically a better DAC.

You folks have been most helpful. Thanks so much.

No decisions yet, but more research to do.

Thanks!

On 11/26/2018 at 4:48 PM, creativepart said:

I listen to digital about 50% of the time. But that percentage is increasing mostly due to Tidal. The rest of the time I'm a vinyl guy. Hey, I'm going to be 69 soon, so what can I say.

I have had a Benchmark Dac1 USB for a dozen years or so. I liked it. As I got more and more into computer audio I used it more and more. Then to experiment with MQA (don't start) I bought a Meridian Explorer2. I didn't like it better than the Benchmark, but I did like MQA (as I said, don't start).

I got the itch to try something new but not too expensive. I bought a Pro Ject PreBox S2 Digital for $400. Woah, I like this one. Nice smooth sound and lots of capability.

Around the same time I started using Roon instead of Audirvana Pro. I like the Pro Ject even more. Then I bought a SoTM Sms 200 and stopped using the USB on my iMac.

I liked it all. It was all sounding good. Better much better in fact.

Then I wanted to try some more "cheap" stuff and bought a Schiit Modi Multibit a couple of weeks ago. I liked that too and it was only $250.

So, after two weeks in the Schiit I went back to the Pro Ject. Woah, it's as good as the Mimby maybe better.

Then today I went back to the Benchmark Dac1 USB. Ugh. Now I know it's not so great anymore.

Part of me wants to buy a Qutest, or a Brooklyn + or a Yaggy (!) but those are much bigger commitments, financially.

Oh, I know by posting this you folks will suggest 40-eleven other Dacs that I've never heard of. Maybe I'll just go back to one of my 3 Turntables and listen to some vinyl for a while.

I have tried a dozen dacs, and still go back to my vinyl occasionally...not frequently but i do appreciate it every time i do.

If you don't care about DSD, i liked the schiit multibits, but my desire to include native DSD support won out.

The dac that I am most curious about in your list is the Qutest.  Miska also recommends the RME, so may want to add to your shortlist as well....good luck keep us updated....

EDIT TO ADD>>>i see Miska responded already, and suggested the mytek...i guess that is based on your higher budget than mine (wink)....either way, i would trust Miska.

If you like MQA you should check out the iFi iDSD Pro. It's a full featured (and more) DAC, and gives you a choice (unlike the Mytek, which requires you to manually change modes out of MQA mode) of whether to employ MQA filters or not. It even gives you the option of tube output if you want it. 
I'm guessing that if you liked the Project more than the other DACs, you will like the iFi more than some of the other ones mentioned. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

6 hours ago, firedog said:

If you like MQA you should check out the iFi iDSD Pro. It's a full featured (and more) DAC, and gives you a choice (unlike the Mytek, which requires you to manually change modes out of MQA mode) of whether to employ MQA filters or not. It even gives you the option of tube output if you want it. 
I'm guessing that if you liked the Project more than the other DACs, you will like the iFi more than some of the other ones mentioned. 

+1 I forgot that one...that is also one that has my interest, especially since it has enet in!!

Thanks to all. I've decided to take a wait and see approach. I've ordered a Schiit Eitr and will run my Mimby via SPDIF from the Eitr directly from my iMac's USB output. And, I plan to get a good power supply for the Pro-Ject.

That way, I'll have both dacs and can live with them - and compare them - for a few more months.

The Pro-Ject is supposedly improved by better power. Currently, I'm using USB power from the SoTM SmS200. I've looked at Sbooster, but they appear to be sold out at present with more coming in. Also, Pro-Ject is coming out with a number of new S2 power supplies. One is battery power (Accur Box S2) and the other (Power Box S2) has 3 power outputs - 5v, 15v and 20v. But they are not available yet. However, they are on the website already :https://www.project-audio.com/en/category/hifi-electronics/s2-line/power-s2-line/

By ordering the Eitr, I intend to hopefully improve the already good Mimby by using SPDIF instead of USB. The "internets" seem to think the Mimby is improved by using SPDIF.

I'll have both Dacs setup as Roon Endpoints and go back and forth between them until I'm nauseous - or do something else.

PS. The Benchmark Dac1 USB is going to be offered up for sale.

On 11/28/2018 at 4:49 AM, firedog said:

I do not see where the iFi supports MQA. 

EDIT: Never mind..firmware update has it....iFi is just not promoting MQA on their product site yet

I thought the iFi iDAC2 was excellent - more precise and more analytical than mimby - yet not quite analytical.  It had good dynamics/slam, and a very clean incisive sweetness to it.  Sold the mimby a couple weeks later.  Sorry I can't comment on the project dac you have.  But iFi makes a very low noise switching PS that could take it even further (for $50 bucks).  

To speak to eitr and spdif - this was a game changer for me.  When I moved away from feeding USB into the DACs I own, it was revelatory.  Every DAC I've tried, when fed by Eitr or a singxer SU-1 sounds better, period.  But that's not to say there aren't some DACs out there that can handle USB just as good - I just haven't heard one yet (but I've only heard about 10 dacs in my entire hi-fi lifetime, so take it FWIW).  Even my metrum Amethyst is noticeably better with spdif.  So the 'interwebs' aren't lying ... this time. 

So the iDAC2 would be awesome IF IT ONLY HAD A COAX IN!  sadly, it doesn't.  it has a coax out, but its an 'afterthought' feature and doesn't sound as good as other converters. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2018 at 1:48 AM, creativepart said:

Then I bought a SoTM Sms 200 and stopped using the USB on my iMac.

One of our tech guys did the very same thing just recently. He married his Pro to this SOtM, enabled DLNA/UPNP on it and literally lost his head. Quite an improvement over his laptop. 

1.thumb.JPEG.a6e43fd287d7a4b78ccdfa14c9dc8eaa.JPEG2.thumb.JPEG.f61fdac7f67647f608785479546d2f91.JPEG

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, John Fitzpatrick said:

So is really USB inferior to streaming these days?

Not really. It was more becuase of my poor usb connection: directly from MAC, long (10ft) cable. A usb reclocker would probably help quite a bit. In the mean time, uPNP does have very good sound quality.

Setup #1: GoldenEar Triton Reference --> Parasound Halo Integrated --> Allo DigiOne Signature

Setup #2: ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 --> Akitika GT-102 --> ???