IGNORED

USB audio transmission isn’t bit true

4 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

was said in jest....figured someone would get a kick out of it....you must admit other technologies seem to have come a lot further....think of where we were without the internet or mass storage not that many years ago....and we can put a man in space, or cause nuclear holocaust....but we can't figure out how to isolate noise from usb audio with anything but subjectivity....amazing.

Because audio isn't important ... close enough is good enough for most manufacturers; people still buy the product ... if people's lives depended on it, this would have been sorted decades ago ...

16 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Because audio isn't important ... close enough is good enough for most manufacturers; people still buy the product ... if people's lives depended on it, this would have been sorted decades ago ...

I don't believe that...

There may be a lot more computer engineers than audio engineers so a lot more combined effort has been put into it...audio engineering is a niche comparatively speaking and most engineering is a collaborative effort over many years.  Also digital audio engineering is still in it's infancy (again, relatively speaking).

The infancy thing is true, in the sense that only a small number of people who do the manufacturing understand how fussy one has to be, for digital playback to really shine ... it's not a universal awareness, by a long shot.

The really good thing at the moment is that companies who are at the top of the quality tree have got a pretty good handle on things, finally - many of their products are hugely expensive; but it will trickle down ...

1 hour ago, barrows said:

There is nothing fundamentally "wrong" with USB audio, period.  Bit errors do not cause subtle degradation in sound quality, period.  With a good USB source and a good USB receiver, very high levels of audio (DSD 512 for example) can be transmitted without any significant errors.  Perhaps, maybe there might be a single error every once in awhile (as in once every few hours): there is no way that such causes any sound quality degradation.

Just like any transport medium, the quality of the source device and the quality of the receiver device matters.

Same is true for Ethernet.

There is no inherent problem with USB audio period.

Which is more fundamentally right for audio, USB or Ethernet ( copper or optical).

Which is harder to implement to make it more fundamentally right ?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

2 hours ago, barrows said:

Thanks....worth framing and adding to my  "Music Facts & Theory" notes...

The golden question is, what is the threshold for what defines "what a good USB source is"?  And even if the source is not "good", does the statement "Bit errors do not cause subtle degradation in sound quality"??

This of course is in contrary to what i have read before that in isosynchronous transmissions that large errors will cause dropouts but that small errors will cause subtle changes?  And what does that mean for the "lush" cable and "usb toys"?

image.png.7e51c26f6c6d5de63d25b107e78806d1.png

35 minutes ago, Superdad said:

The reasons for ubiquity of USB has little to do with hardware and everything to do with software.

Interesting....I have always believed that both USB and ENET are fundamentally sound, but believed that my preference in past (for critical listening) was due to first generation dacs not properly compensating for noise.  I "believe" they are getting better in that regard, and I certainly hated that DLNA seemed to have a lot more "hiccups" than USB, but have for the most part stuck with it for the past 5 or so years for critical listening, but would really love to get back to USB.  I don't know if ROON handles enet better than DNLA misgivings, but didn't want to go down that path for money reasons.  Anyway, i decided back then, that i would stick with DLNA until DAC engineers better engineered their dacs to compensate for noise on what I believe we both agree is otherwise a "fundamentally sound" technology.

I notice the things you mentioned that need to be compensated for (clocking, power, and isolation) are all things currently marketed in the UNISON design...perhaps DAC design is finally getting there?

NOTE: i sometimes mix you up and SONORE...i thnk you are REGEN, right?  I would understand if you do not want to see DAC's to get it right and may not be unbiased in answering?

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

Neither.  Ultimately it is all getting converted to the same thing in the DAC: I2S (or (DSD).

So the DAC input stages can be: USB>I2S, Ethernet>I2S, S/PDIF>I2S.

There are many variables in implementation as well as challenges. Decoding, clocking, power, and isolation can be done in a myriad of ways.

The reasons for ubiquity of USB has little to do with hardware and everything to do with software. Computer operating systems are happy to look at USB ports and send audio to them via OS support of the UAC2 audio standard.  But operating systems do not "see" Ethernet attached DACs as "sound cards" and thus other protocols have to get involved. That's where major market fragmentation came in and we end up with choices of DLNA/UPnP, Roon RAAT, Squeezelite, AirPlay, AES67/Ravenna, Signalyst NAA, etc.

Any one (or more) of the aforementioned "endpoint" protocols as well as the Ethernet transmission and MAC stack itself can be implemented into microprocessors/microcontrollers (or even FPGA/ASIC if one really wanted to start from scratch and had deep pockets--into the millions). If done well (again, clocking, power networks, isolation, etc.) there is no reason that the results (measured electrical and perceived SQ) can't equal that of USB or S/PDIF.

But again, one can not count out software factors--the how to have your Ethernet-input DAC "seen" as a "virtual sound card." Hence the paucity--and implementation disparity--of and between DACs with Ethernet inputs.  Below are photos of some various available pre-designed board modules that are in use by a small range of DAC manufacturers. This obviously does not include those manufacturers who "roll their own" Ethernet input solutions, which is quite doable since lots of popular small chips (including XMOS, PIC32, Atmel, etc.) already include Ethernet MAC processing cores.

mconnect_thumb.jpg.a69ffb42e974e2909b109e2f3b9097b2.jpg

Mconnect from Conversdigital: DLNA & Roon. Used by Ayre, PS Audio, and others.

.image.png.d75771de3ae6782a92bc9fcd4c3587a6.png

e-RED-MOD from Engineered.ch Electronics: DLNA/UPnP only.

ZMAN-OEM-RAVENNAAES67.png.018b850a7dfa46c6bf4bf6ec149dc493.png

ZMAN OEM from Merging Technologies: AES67/Ravenna only.

Don't let the size of these boards or the sight of several seemingly large chips scare you! In each case, aside from the main processor--which is loaded with the protocols and intellectual property code of the designers--most all the rest of what you see is flash memory to load those processors with code each time power is applied. Plus a few voltage regulators and maybe a basic clock.

Thanks so much for this excellent explanation Alex !

Yes I wondered about what happened with things like drivers for Ethernet based audio and the OS seeing the Ethernet connection as a soundcard. It also clarified some of my confusion regarding "endpoints" and their purpose in the scheme of things. Thank you.

I hope I am not putting you on the spot but I was curious about your chosen setup that I saw when lurking on one of the more technical threads. Basically, AFAICT, you have chosen a copper Cat6 Ethernet solution to a Nuc/ NAA endpoint (via Er) and then IsoRegen to usb cable. Was there a reason you did not choose USB > USB cable> IsoRegen? Also, having chosen an Ethernet leg, why not optical?

I have been researching an 'optical solution' and of course there are many opinions regarding the superior galvanic isolation and high jitter rejection. When reading through The Taiko Extreme threads here and at WBF, listening impressions also varied regarding optical. initially improvements were touted but not always.....as usual a case of try it for yourself YMMV. The criticisms of optical reminded me of my experience of old with optical when I compared ST connector/ glass fiber with AES. Optical always sounded thinner and leaner, less natural.

Cheers

David

Sound Minds Mind Sound

21 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

i don't like much country, but there are probably 100 or so exceptions....

Love how Trent Reznor humbly declared that the song was never his... once Cash started singing, realized that it was the man in black's all along...

v

21 minutes ago, OAudio said:

If it works as intended it will allow USB signal, power at transmitter / receiver and shield continuity conditions to varied whilst looking for subjective sound quality change.

Just remember that most ultra low noise voltage regulators have a much lower output impedance at >100kHz due to the types and smaller values of filter capacitors normally used. Ideally , the PSU impedance should be as low and flat right across the whole range to 1MHZ as possible. Try also using a much higher value electro in parallel at their output ,perhaps  even  an Audiophile grade type such as Elna Gold .

USB is also sensitive to the capacitance to mains earth in a LInear PSU with an R-Core sounding better than a Toroidal transformer, and with a split bobbin type sounding even better. Even earthing the supplied screen wire of an R-Core transformer can cause a small audible degradation. I verified this by fitting a toggle switch at the rear of a <4uV noise PSU to quickly switch between both.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

24 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Just remember that most ultra low noise voltage regulators have a much lower output impedance at >100kHz due to the types and smaller values of filter capacitors normally used. Ideally , the PSU impedance should be as low and flat right across the whole range to 1MHZ as possible. Try also using a much higher value electro in parallel at their output ,perhaps  even  an Audiophile grade type such as Elna Gold .

USB is also sensitive to the capacitance to mains earth in a LInear PSU with an R-Core sounding better than a Toroidal transformer, and with a split bobbin type sounding even better. Even earthing the supplied screen wire of an R-Core transformer can cause a small audible degradation. I verified this by fitting a toggle switch at the rear of a <4uV noise PSU to quickly switch between both.

Hi Sandyk,

Thanks for the thoughts.

My rendering software can't show the second daughter pcb. The second board has a 4uv low noise regulator and option are built in for where it is powered from. I can use this / the PC supply in different combinations for transmitter and receiver bus power.  

Transformer ground current is a tricky one,  its influance is going to show up twice if Im not mistaken from the PC supply and the DAC. 

Theres quite some thought behind the approach in both these areas but perhaps best to get the board built and tested then go into some more details.

OAudio Ltd.

OAudio Supreme - music server.

OAudio RealStream - digital audio components.

18 minutes ago, OAudio said:

Hi Sandyk,

Thanks for the thoughts.

My rendering software can't show the second daughter pcb. The second board has a 4uv low noise regulator and option are built in for where it is powered from. I can use this / the PC supply in different combinations for transmitter and receiver bus power.  

Transformer ground current is a tricky one,  its influance is going to show up twice if Im not mistaken from the PC supply and the DAC. 

Theres quite some thought behind the approach in both these areas but perhaps best to get the board built and tested then go into some more details.

Given that many USB devices, including USB memory, have an internal connection between 0 volts and shield, have you also made provision for switching/isolating the shield lead, as this may result in an inadvertent earth loop .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

21 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Given that many USB devices, including USB memory, have an internal connection between 0 volts and shield, have you also made provision for switching/isolating the shield lead, as this may result in an inadvertent earth loop .

We are on the same page :-)

The board is set up to be able to be switched between these options and to examine some ideas to manage transmitter / reciver differential supply noise. I have used this approch in other projects but lots and lots of unknowns with USB transmission so practical testing seems the best way to go.

OAudio Ltd.

OAudio Supreme - music server.

OAudio RealStream - digital audio components.

On 6/10/2020 at 12:47 AM, fas42 said:

Come on, one bit error in 10^12 is waaaaay more than needed. USB has perfect audio transfer provided the sink buffers and reclocks it and the cable has decent shielding (also, the sink should have good galvanic isolation). There is no need for more engineering there.