IGNORED

USB audio transmission isn’t bit true

13 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

What about rankins testing in initial post...

I read the article :)

As Rankin-san said, it seems USB reliability becomes lower when many USB devices connected to one USB host controller. So maybe the error he experienced is caused by interference with other USB devices? (It should not be happened but in the real world, it happens)

You may have a interest to the following experiment, Challenge to connect theoretical max number of USB devices to one Windows 7 PC. This 3 page document is full of nightmare experience with unreliable computer. He has a great patience. From 80 USB devices, computer becomes really unstable.

http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/720/720038/

This may be caused by CRC error (I don't have a equipment to confirm this so this is a guess)

I have similar experience to the document with my PC. When a USB hub with several USB devices is connected to the PC, often the hub and all the subsequent USB devices is not recognized and reconnecting cures the problem.

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

53 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

+1

Thanks for sharing...you clearly know a lot more than most here. 

To clarify in layman's terms, USB 3.0 because of higher speed, along with bulk transfer, is ideal?

Can processing quad DSD on USB 2.0 be an issue if not properly managed?...e.g. is there ever a bigger concern with processing quad DSD as opposed to 44.1 PCM?

PS are you a dac engineer?  Do you see any advantage in doing fiber (e.g. the new LUMIN X1 with fiber input)?

USB speed increased and bulk transfer becomes a new option for audio transfer. I'm not sure if it is ideal or not but there is a drawback, bulk transfer audio dac needs its proprietary device driver to be installed while operating system supplies stock device driver for isochronous USB audio devices.

Quad DSD(23Mbps to 45Mbps) on USB 2.0(480Mbps) should not be an issue. I've tested it and it runs fine.

I'm just another layman :) and a fan of optical link from 1990s S/PDIF because optical gear looks cool and futuristic, and long waiting the fibre version of thunderbolt. Sound quality may not changed very much but it has galvanic isolation as its advantage.

Developer of PlayPcmWin

• 4 months later...
On 5/2/2019 at 7:16 AM, Ralf11 said:

What  USB mode would be the absolute best for Audio transmissions ?

I read somewhere RME person tried interrupt transfer and found it does not deliver sufficient data rate for audio use.

Developer of PlayPcmWin