IGNORED

USB audio transmission isn’t bit true

6 hours ago, mansr said:

That's for USB 3. The USB 2.0 spec doesn't mention any particular number. Of course, given the much lower data rate, achieving the same level there should not be a problem.

USB 2.0 do have Jitter and Eye aperture specifications. Therefore this translates into BER even if probably not specified ( I need to check)

A certified USB cable will be more than sufficient at audio rates.

@beerandmusic

If you want try by yourself the effects of one errored bit or more take an audio track and then modify one or more bits in a single or more sample. Then play the modified version and compare.

When an audio packet (max 1024 bytes) is detected faulty it is not discarded just played as it is.

4 hours ago, Sonicularity said:

I wonder what the special mechanism might be and how the RME device goes about correcting a drop-out.   Maybe they are repeating the last known bit?  I suppose with a large enough buffer that other options would be available.

http://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dac_e.pdf

Most probably it must be some kind of interpolation.

Otherwise in digital transmission you do have error correction mechanisms such as Vitterbi or/and Reed Solomon. But those supposed you send extra bits for error correction at receive side.

Such is not implemented in USB audio as far as I know.