IGNORED

USB audio transmission isn’t bit true

3 hours ago, crenca said:

Is the physical layer (the "analog" foundation of any "digital" signal for folks who don't know) noise to which you refer here, measurable?

Sure, and some of can be seen in an eye pattern--see very first post of this thread for example:

3 hours ago, crenca said:

Is the effect that this noise has on the master DAC's clock correlated in measurements if not directly measured?  If so, what tool do you use for this job?

John (Swenson) has measured differences in ground-plane noise right next to the DAC master clock input pin.  High-speed scope, spectrum analyzer, differential probes are the typical tools.

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, mansr said:

Only bulk and isochronous are at all suitable.

Yep, and pretty much every DAC firm who tried putting out products using bulk mode eventually gave up and went to isochronous.  Just too much hassle to produce and maintain custom drivers for every OS.  The advantages to bulk mode simply are not that great.

• 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, OAudio said:

Although the USB cable is shielded, there is also generally a GND loop between the PC and DAC via mains safety earth connections. The PC switching supply noise and ground leakage currents can pollute the safety earth and appear at the USB receiver circuit in the DAC (even though there "should" be a good ground reference established by the USB lead's shield).

Indeed.

Final area I think is very important is transmission timing both phase noise and clock speed. The differential noise above may or may not be enough to cause data errors due to eye detection errors. Even if errors are not being caused by detection errors, the differential power noise in the transmitter's & receiver's supplies will cause threshold detection jitter in the USB data stream and this does matter to sound quality (although I would agree this is not data error). I mentioned in my earlier post above I have developed the ability to accurately set the relative frequency of the individual USB clock domains governing the transmitter and receiver. I have been working on this stuff for many years, and know that as little as an 0.000005% difference in the speed of the USB transmitter and receives clock domains can be heard. USB timing really matters if you are aiming for truly high end sound quality.

So nice to read people who get this!

I just can't say beyond doubt that the above issues cause actual errors but I have come across lots of evidence that the areas above really matter for quality. 

With all due respect--and a warm welcome to the Audiophile Style forum--the issues you discuss above are being addressed by some. UpTone pioneered (back in 2014) USB signal integrity improvement for audio (using a hub chip, improved clocking, and attention to PS and impedance) with our original USB REGEN. And then we leap-frogged ourselves--and those who had followed us--with the more advanced ISO REGEN in 2017. Galvanic isolation, ultra-low-phase-noise clocking, and a pile of LT3042 regulators. Measurable improvements in SI:

Without ISO REGEN:

591f368a10ad6_LenovoUSBporteyepattern.thumb.jpg.4ecc2ae79b185340944fe829f16ac17a.jpg

With ISO REGEN:

591f36885ae04_ISOREGENeyepattern.thumb.jpg.8dde1242868ff79ab6067d8fa6418224.jpg

We also put forth a couple of papers on the subjects:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0660/6121/files/UpTone_REGEN_tech_summary.pdf (regarding the original USB REGEN)

and https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0660/6121/files/UpTone-J.Swenson_EtherREGEN_white_paper.pdf?v=1583429386 (related primarily to our EtherREGEN switch but also applicable with regards to the effects of clock threshold jitter with USB as well).

One question for you:

Are you affiliated with a company in audio? You took the member name OAudio, write knowledgeably, and are doing PCB layout, hence my wondering.:)

Cheers,

--Alex C.

7 hours ago, mocenigo said:

The Soekris DAC1541 User Manual states "The dac1541 R-2R DAC circuit is fully isolated from the noisy computer USB interface and the SPDIF inputs are also all transformer isolated" (the also implying that the isolation of the USB init is also via transformer) and in fact on the board there are three little SMD PCB DA101MC transformers.

That is not correct. The Murata transformers used in the Soekris DACs are for the three S/PDIF inputs (AES, BNC, RCA).  There appear to be standard digital isolator chips on the I2S (and clock in/out) lines after the XMOS processor.  And then some VERY long traces after those--past the power supply networks--to input portion of the DAC proper.

1846632566_Soekrisdac1541.thumb.jpg.e7677e0078a7723173b4b5830cc8c02e.jpg

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

I remember early on , you said you had a Zman board in hand to evaluated

Without talking about any specific Uptone product, is the Zman board something you think you will use in the next year or 2?

Or you've lost interest in this particular board for the short term? Driver issues?

We have a signed developer NDA with Merging and we receive documents, updates, and pricing on their ZMAN OEM program, but we never ordered the dev boards as the project we had in mind for it is on hold.

I continue to maintain that acceptance and broad implementation of Ethernet (or other interface) as a DAC input standard is dependent upon freely available (if not free), well supported, multi-platform “virtual sound card” software and network discovery protocols, preferably integrated into application solutions people want to use.

Using the above criteria, one can understand why the long available DLNA/UPnP rarely gets much love, while the rather similar but tight integrated Roon RAAT protocol has emerged as the driving force behind recent-year’s popularity of Ethernet-input DACs and streamers.

I believe that the ZMAN module now includes code to support RAAT and be seen as a Roon-Ready endpoint. But for some reason ZMAN does not seem to have caught on with many consumer DAC manufacturers yet. Not sure why that is. Perhaps price. It is a much more advanced Ethernet>I2S solution than the popular Conversdigital MConnect, but a fair bit more complex to implement. Maybe that is why.

For greater context, see my post here: