IGNORED

The Linear Solution Reference 1 Linear Power Supply: Viable Alternative to a Paul Hynes SR7?

6 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I try to place the paper in the areas where I would imagine EMI emissions are greatest.  For the power supplies, start by placing some above the mains transformer.

Given that the 3M material absorbs emmisions mainly up in the GHz range, putting it around an AC mains transformer won’t do a darn thing.  Sorry. :(

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

Given that the 3M material absorbs emmisions mainly up in the GHz range, putting it around an AC mains transformer won’t do a darn thing.  Sorry. :(

In what range does an AC mains transformer generate emissions?  Are there consumer products suitable for placing inside audio devices, power supplies etc that would deal with that without impacting negatively on sound quality?

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

7 hours ago, Superdad said:

I was hoping someone knowledgeable would chime in.  🙂

Fortunately, the size and location of the EMI paper inside the case is still able to a make a difference by absorbing emissions from other parts.

3 hours ago, str-1 said:

In what range does an AC mains transformer generate emissions?  Are there consumer products suitable for placing inside audio devices, power supplies etc that would deal with that without impacting negatively on sound quality? 

Maybe other EMI paper absorb different frequencies?  If @Superdad responds to your question, we can look into it.

You can find the actual data here on page 2:  http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/960849O/3mtm-emi-absorber-ab5000-series-tds.pdf

My observation is that this EMI absorber has been used successfully by others here on CA in various audio components, including at least one SR7.  So, the perceived improvement in SQ is either an example of mass delusion or yet another example of a real audio phenomenon whose mechanism is not well understood.

Also, IIRC, many Chord Blu Mk.II owners (as well as Rob Watts) found the most effective ferrite in reducing perceived glare operated in the 2.5GHz range.

7 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

You can find the actual data here on page 2:  http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/960849O/3mtm-emi-absorber-ab5000-series-tds.pdf

My observation is that this EMI absorber has been used successfully by others here on CA in various audio components, including at least one SR7.  So, the perceived improvement in SQ is either an example of mass delusion or yet another example of a real audio phenomenon whose mechanism is not well understood.

Also, IIRC, many Chord Blu Mk.II owners (as well as Rob Watts) found the most effective ferrite in reducing perceived glare operated in the 2.5GHz range.

I use the 3M EMI absorber in my SR7 with positive effect.

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

If you want to block fields from power transformers, 3/8" aluminum is the ticket.

And it needs to a complete box, or cage.   Otherwise those little waves will come in everywhere else!  Holes, connectors that aren’t properly protected, etc.