IGNORED

The Linear Solution Reference 1 Linear Power Supply: Viable Alternative to a Paul Hynes SR7?

3 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

@limniscate recently brought his dual rail, double-regulated SR7 to Houston for a Boxing Day shoot out with my two single rail, double-regulated Reference 1 units.  We were both hoping that the Reference 1 would be a true equal of the SR7; however, the SR7 reigns supreme.

I am using one Reference 1 to power my OCX10 master clock and the second to power an AL NUC endpoint.  Initially, we focused on the OCX10.  When I substituted the SR7 for the Reference 1, the improvement was immediately obvious to both Eric and me.  We confirmed by switching them out a second time.  The SR7 has a blacker background with better dynamics.  Individual sounds and instruments are more separate and distinct from one another, so there is more space between them.  Edges are sharper and more focused.  They sound fuzzier with the Reference 1.

Next, we left one rail of the SR7 powering the OCX10 and focused on the NUC.  Once again, the difference was easily discernible.  The sound was cleaner and clearer.

Finally, we left one rail of the SR7 powering the OCX10, returned the Reference 1 to the NUC, and used the second SR7 rail to power the Hugo M-Scaler.  The improvement we heard over the stock HMS power supply was much more subtle than with the OCX10 and NUC.  To my ears, the change was so minimal that I feel no need to upgrade the stock HMS power supply.

The HMS finding was surprising to me.  A couple of HMS owners whose ears I trust heard a notable improvement from upgrading the power supply, while others whom I do not know have heard no difference.  Thus, I was biased toward hearing a benefit and confounded to hear so little change. 

I ground a BNC input on the HMS to my SR ground block.  I also ground both of the Habst BNC digital interconnects between the HMS and DAVE to the ground block.  Perhaps the reason for hearing so little improvement is the “noise” from the HMS stock power supply is being shunted to ground.

In conclusion, in my estimation, the Reference 1 achieves 85-90% of the performance of a DR SR7.  Immediately after removing the SR7 from my system, I was still able to listen to music with the Reference 1 without experiencing any buyer's remorse.  It is an outstanding power supply, and my system sounds amazing with it.  The SR7 is clearly more refined, but the gap is not so large that I feel my listening experience is diminished.

For those who may be contemplating their next steps, I offer the following perspective.  I have been waiting almost 15 months for an SR7 that was supposed to be built in 50-60 working days.  At this point, I'll be happy to have it by the 24 month anniversary of my original order date.  There is the obvious financial risk due to the indefinite delays, plus there is the opportunity cost of putting a key part of your audio system on hold for 1-2 years.  I believe there is a strong argument for getting the best PSU that you can find and enjoying it now rather than waiting years for the Holy Grail which conceivably could never arrive on your doorstep.

Addendum:

Subsequently, I added EMI absorber on the inside cover above the transformer.  The midrange and treble are now noticeably cleaner.  For the first time, I can clearly make out John Bonham’s spoken words on the introduction of The Ocean by Led Zeppelin.  On other tracks, the tambourine zills sound crisper and more distinct.  I am now comfortable stating that the Reference 1 achieves 90% of the performance of the SR7.  The most obvious remaining differences are in dynamics and bass.

Thank you for the nice write up.  Are these test done with Reference 1 stock stranded silver DC cables?