IGNORED

iTunes purchases

I am looking to see if anyone else is having these two issues with iTunes purchases.

1. If I purchase a song or album today, I do not see the bill for two weeks from today?

2. Some songs, not all, that I purchase show up in my iTunes media folder and in the library as duplicates.  One of the duplicates has a cloud symbol next to the song?

Thanks for any insights you have.

I’ll try and help out as this section is dead quiet in terms of responses.

1. Apple issues invoices in batches rather than immediately. So if you made a few purchases over a week or two then they are likely to be rolled up into a single invoice.

2. I’m not entirely sure about the duplicate issue. However, a song with a cloud symbol means it is downloadable and is not currently physically stored on your device. I think what we may be seeing here is your iTunes library being stored in the cloud and/or purchases not being automatically downloaded to your device. What you might be seeing are songs available to download and play (the ones with the cloud symbol) and songs that you’ve already played (the ones without a cloud symbol). Whenever you play a song from the cloud, it is downloaded to your device and the cloud symbol disappears. You might be showing songs that are physically on your device and also the songs in the cloud that you’ve purchased. This is usually a filtering issue, but you should not see two copies of the same song.

Thanks for the reply.  I do understand the cloud non cloud icons.  What I am trying to figure out, is why after I purchase a song there are two  songs in the album.  One with a cloud and one without.  I am usually creating a playlist or adding to one when I purchase individual songs.  

This happens maybe one out of ten times I purchase.  iTunes will not allow me to load the cloud based song into my playlist and will allow the other.  So, my question is why are duplicates showing up at all?

Possible reason:  Having had multiple accounts for iTunes.

I've had the same issue for many, many, many months.  I've spoken with two support techs, and each said they had never seen this.  The second asked if I had ever used multiple iTunes user accounts.  I have.  We found differences in the Get Info windows.

I would suggest downloading a "duplicate" and comparing the File tab of the Get Info window of the two files.  For me, the Purchased field for first download is always my full name followed by my current Apple ID, [email protected].  The second download shows my full name followed by my original iTunes Music Store username: fullname.  He wondered if the issue was because each is tied to the same email address.  HIs only suggestion was to change the email address associated with the old username.  While we managed to do that the dups continue.  I'm living with it.  I download the "duplicate," delete it, hide it, and hope there aren't unintended consequences should I ever need to download them again.

FWIW...The first tech thought it might be because I use the same Apple ID for iTunes purchases and my Apple Music Subscription.  (Maybe I missed the memo not to do that, but why would they require us to keep track of multiple IDs?)  I noted Apple Music had never been active for my main music library. iCloud Music Library has never been active, either.  He asked quite derisively, "Why would anyone with a subscription buy music?" I hung up from that phone call seriously wondering, for first time, whether Apple might stop selling music sooner rather than later.

23 hours ago, cambridgehank said:

I received a message from Apple that my subscription to iTunes Match is to be renewed for another year.  I do not remember subscribing to Match, old age forgetfulness.  I looked deeply into my account in iTunes and sure enough I have Match.  Could Match be causing this issue? 

It could. You can turn off iTunes Match and see if that fixes things. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.