IGNORED

Advice on all-in-one system for my daughter: Peachtree or what?

sockpit

7 hours ago, sockpit said:

Hi @beerandmusic

Go to sub first from what?  You see, with these speakers everything (DAC, amps, wifi receiver) are packed into the two speakers.  That’s what qualifies them as an “all-in-one” solution . . .  These aren’t merely powered speakers; they’re the whole shebang!

Hi Sockpit,

We are again on the same page as my very first thought when I hooked up the NX500s was that unfortunately I would never be able to connect a sub to them. As you say there is no way to "physically" do that as it is a complete system and you cannot use the line in (out) of the sub as the Yamaha "speakers" incorporate the streamer & DAC i.e. they come first and last.

I checked out the link you provided to the Yamaha Multicast SUB 100 and that looks like it was purposely designed to support the NX500s and would do the job, but at $450 it costs more than you paid for the whole system! However, if you did add the sub, for a total of $800 you would have a serious bit of kit that would rival a combination of boxes costing many times more.

All my systems consist of high quality bookshelf speakers / sub combinations, however, I don't really want a sub in the bedroom, at least my wife won't. As it is only 16' x 20' x 8' the  sound is more than exceptible without a sub (but would obviously benefit). In any case I will not be doing any critical listening - just TV, Radio and Spotify.

However, my main system is in a very large open plan lIving room/ kitchen incorporating ACT SCM 19 stand mount speakers with 2 x SVS SB 2000 subs driven by a Devialet 200 pro (inbuilt DAC and active cross over) and that system certainly benefits from the subs - but it costs about $10k.... we are talking chalk and cheese.

Anyway I'm glad it has worked out for you and that your happy with your purchase. Check out the manual as there is a lot the system can do and at the very least you and your wife will have fun playing with it over the Xmas break ....  $10 says you will buy the sub! 

All the best.

PS I'm typing this from a rehab hospital as I had a double hip replacement last week and I am a very sore boy.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

On 12/7/2018 at 3:50 AM, Ajax said:

Hi Sockpit,

We are again on the same page as my very first thought when I hooked up the NX500s was that unfortunately I would never be able to connect a sub to them. As you say there is no way to "physically" do that as it is a complete system and you cannot use the line in (out) of the sub as the Yamaha "speakers" incorporate the streamer & DAC i.e. they come first and last.

I checked out the link you provided to the Yamaha Multicast SUB 100 and that looks like it was purposely designed to support the NX500s and would do the job, but at $450 it costs more than you paid for the whole system! However, if you did add the sub, for a total of $800 you would have a serious bit of kit that would rival a combination of boxes costing many times more.

All my systems consist of high quality bookshelf speakers / sub combinations, however, I don't really want a sub in the bedroom, at least my wife won't. As it is only 16' x 20' x 8' the  sound is more than exceptible without a sub (but would obviously benefit). In any case I will not be doing any critical listening - just TV, Radio and Spotify.

However, my main system is in a very large open plan lIving room/ kitchen incorporating ACT SCM 19 stand mount speakers with 2 x SVS SB 2000 subs driven by a Devialet 200 pro (inbuilt DAC and active cross over) and that system certainly benefits from the subs - but it costs about $10k.... we are talking chalk and cheese.

Anyway I'm glad it has worked out for you and that your happy with your purchase. Check out the manual as there is a lot the system can do and at the very least you and your wife will have fun playing with it over the Xmas break ....  $10 says you will buy the sub! 

All the best.

PS I'm typing this from a rehab hospital as I had a double hip replacement last week and I am a very sore boy.

@Ajax best wishes on a speedy recovery.  Hip replacements are very successful these days, but a double is no doubt a major challenge.

Moved the Yamahas into a corner of our living space and my wife mentioned to me today just how good they sound.  That’s unusual.  I’ll resist the sub until it goes on close out!  Thx again and I hope you’re home soon.

Hi Sockpit,

I'm sitting in hospital recuperating so I have time to research gear and muck around with stuff. i.e. I'm bored!

Anyway I re-read Chris's review of the Yamaha N-NX500s (link above) and he stated that he got better base when "I turned up the volume on the rear of the left speaker to about 75% and turned up the volume via remote control to almost 100%"

i.e. turning up the "gain" at the rear of the left speaker should help improve you base. I'll try it when I get home but thought it may be of help in your situation as you are in such a large room.

.... back to sleep    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers