IGNORED

Recent Airport Express toslink jitter

this is all about system's level

This is a bit two-edged sword.

More sensitive to jitter -> more differences can be heard -> better/higher level system?

Hearing more differences does not always mean better system, unless the purpose is to specifically hear differences, for whatever reason.

I would draw conclusions only after fully analyzing the underlying reasons. Especially when it comes to statements about level of system or such.

Hard to say that any headphones give you any difference between whatever connection and equipment...

Headphones like Sennheiser HD800 and other top-of-the-line ones are among the highest possible resolution reproduction devices.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I would argue that my AKG 701 headphones are more revealing of differences than most people's speaker/room setup...a more critical listen so to speak.

The fact that I still find the sound better than those same cans directly out of my iPod playing the same file (more direct) says something.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

I would argue that my AKG 701 headphones are more revealing of differences than most people's speaker/room setup...a more critical listen so to speak.

Headphones connect almost directly to your ear and have no reflections and other room anomolies to deal with compared to speakers. A HUGE advantage to headphones.

The fact that I still find the sound better than those same cans directly out of my iPod playing the same file (more direct) says something.

That can easily be explained by the iPod having a barely adequate headphone amplifier and DA converter within. Apple had to sacrifice something to make it that small;) They did a great job, though. I had a nano with sennheiser PX100s and the legendary Koss Portapros. God awful ugly headphones those portapros were, but wow, the sound.

CD

I was just trying to point out that with all of the talk of the AE jitter being soooooo horrid that a cheap DAC and reasonably priced amp and very good cans still sounds better.

In fact all headphones I have in house send better with those identical files than they do through the iPod, even headphones that can be driven will by the iPod.

My point? I'm not sure how much ps of jitter the 802.11n AE puts out or whether or not that amount has an audible impact. All that I DO know is that it sounds quite good to me and the convenience factor when coupled with the remote app is beyond anything I could have imagined 15 years ago when I got into this "hobby".

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

AE's jitter is not noticeable untitl you use a better source. My DAC is connected to my Windows XP workstation with an Echo MIA soundcard and a CD player. Both those sources connect thru coax to my matrix mini i. When playing the same files, the AE (connected via optical of course) sounds the worst, but it doesn't sound terrible.

I'm in the pursuit of an economically priced jitter buster for the AE to hopefully level the playing field somewhat.

CD

Ok, whatever we use, headphones or stock speakers or DIY speakers and so on...

Facts that I hear: comparing to direct USB connection to the DAC (DIY on AKM4396):

AE-G is the most boring. Faded away, slow in emotions, dimmed, many delicious details are just missing at all. Not really much involving...

AE-N sounds better, like in the middle between G and next step:

AE-N tweaked: sounds very very similar to direct connection. All the music here.

I have to say that this all visible even with mid-level plastic cable! I will change it to silflex and see then, and also try coaxial out from AE to get the best of it.

AE's jitter is not noticeable untitl you use a better source. My DAC is connected to my Windows XP workstation with an Echo MIA soundcard and a CD player. Both those sources connect thru coax to my matrix mini i.

In my bedroom system I have AE-N and Onkyo ND-S1 both feeding CA DacMagic over fiber. No complaints about sound quality of these in this system.

AE-N has WLAN turned off and data feed coming through ethernet (30 cm CAT-5E STP wire from the wall socket).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Hard to judge AE itself and its mod changes on systems with discreet elements, especially modern models. Old tubes gives much more music, vibrations, details, air and so on.

Codifus: there's digital out that is used for the led. Sure, it can be changed to coax out. I'll try it soon, if I get really good coax cable. If not - leave it and wait for the glass.