IGNORED

Audiophile VS Musiphile - Your Thoughts?

3 hours ago, The_K-Man said:

An audiophile is focused on how, IE. a recording of a Beethoven symphony sounds on their system.  A melophile, like yours truly, is focused on how the symphony itself sounds.  Capeesh?

Separate "audio-" from "melo-" in your mind and you'll get the the gist - of this thread, as well as mine. ;) 

Thanks for taking the time to enlighten us 'philes. Lately I've been focusing a lot on the sound of this:

image.jpg?c=Eah8h3gxnUC0wy5YcBtf_T6KsMtt

So in my mind what should I classify myself as?

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

Get a Sennheiser HD800 and you‘re all set. 

Actually I am 100% satisfied with the DT 1990. These headphones with Analytical pads and Asgard II amp are the end game for my headphone system. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

I've seen it mentioned a few times on HiFi and review sites that the audio you hear from your own music system should be as close as possible to the studio recording. How would anyone know how the studio recording sounded, and from which vantage position would/should the reference point be?

Could two people in the recording studio hear exactly the same sounds?

1 hour ago, Taz777 said:

I've seen it mentioned a few times on HiFi and review sites that the audio you hear from your own music system should be as close as possible to the studio recording. How would anyone know how the studio recording sounded, and from which vantage position would/should the reference point be?

Could two people in the recording studio hear exactly the same sounds?

Your listening space and the original recording(or mastering) studio are going to differ sonically.

That aside, your reproduction system should not add to or detract from what is on that recorded album.

• 1 month later...

What I want to know is, and I see the ads for them all the time on top of these forums:

What diffference does USBing out of ones device, into a Dragonfly, then into the mini headphone cable make, compared to just coming directly out of the headphone jack?

To me I prefer a direct out vs. all those other steps. 

He asks me if I want to hear something on his system. I choose "To Here Knows When", the 1991 single by My Bloody Valentine that Brian Eno described as "the vaguest music ever made". When it was released, people kept taking it back to the shops, convinced that there was something wrong with the record they'd bought: surely it wasn't meant to sound like that, with its beautiful sleepy-eyed melody almost drowned out by layers of churning, woozy noise. I've listened to it obsessively for 25 years, trying to get to the bottom of what the band thought they were doing. In Steve's front room, I feel like I'm sitting in the middle of the song, the guitars arcing around me. It's overwhelming. And once again, all the downsides of audiophile addiction – the ridiculous financial excesses, the mystical woo, the obsessive behaviour – seem to evaporate.

Who wouldn't want music to sound this enveloping, this enrapturing? ... Of course I wouldn't. But there's a part of me that knows precisely why they do and thinks the rest of us don't know what we're missing.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/news/a8618/are-the-audiophiles-hearing-something-were-not/

6 hours ago, The_K-Man said:

What diffference does USBing out of ones device, into a Dragonfly, then into the mini headphone cable make, compared to just coming directly out of the headphone jack?

To me I prefer a direct out vs. all those other steps. 

The difference between the inboard DAC and headphone out on my Dell Inspiron laptop vs. a $79 Sabaj Da2 USB DAC is night and day. Sound from the laptop alone is thin and sibilant. Playing through the little USB DAC adds warmth, detail and smoothness. It is literally pass vs. fail, 4/10 vs. 7/10. 

Try one of these, you will not regret it: https://www.amazon.com/Korg-DSDAC100M-Digital-Analog-Converter/dp/B00GTIUX0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547576094&sr=8-1&keywords=korg+ds-ds-100m

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

17 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Thanks Ralf,

Excellent article, recommended to to those who have not yet read it.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Just skimmed the article - very fast. The amusing thing, to me, is that the people who get the "extreme" presentation of the music are the only ones who are actually experiencing what's on the recordings! Everyone else is getting such a pitiful, decolourised, blurred version of what was captured - and they say, they're the ones getting an "accurate rendition" ... hooo, boy !!! :D

4 hours ago, audiobomber said:

The difference between the inboard DAC and headphone out on my Dell Inspiron laptop vs. a $79 Sabaj Da2 USB DAC is night and day. Sound from the laptop alone is thin and sibilant. Playing through the little USB DAC adds warmth, detail and smoothness. It is literally pass vs. fail, 4/10 vs. 7/10. 

Try one of these, you will not regret it: https://www.amazon.com/Korg-DSDAC100M-Digital-Analog-Converter/dp/B00GTIUX0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547576094&sr=8-1&keywords=korg+ds-ds-100m

No thanks!  If I needed a smiley EQ curve or the equivalent of a Loudness button I could accomplish that with my EQ app.

4 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I have one of those in my closet.  My recollection from way back is that it was that it was "pleasant."  That's all.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

3 hours ago, The_K-Man said:

No thanks!  If I needed a smiley EQ curve or the equivalent of a Loudness button I could accomplish that with my EQ app.

Your comment on EQ is off the mark. The Da2 is identical to the SMSL Idea. You can see the smile-free FR response here and comparison with a Dragonfly Black here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-smsl-idea-and-audioquest-dragonfly-black-dacs.2397/

I read your post and compared the DAC's I had available (Sabaj Da2 and Korg DS-DAC010R), so I could give an informed reply. I used DT 1990 Pro headphones which are 250 ohms but very efficient. The difference between my newish i7 Windows 10 laptop's headphone out and the little Sabaj was shocking, larger and more important than the difference between the Sabaj and the several times more expensive Korg. The Korg is easily better than the Sabaj in several ways, but as I mentioned, the difference between inboard and external was pass vs. fail. 

It seems to me you did not want a response to your question after all, or maybe you were just trolling?. 

3 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I have one of those in my closet.  My recollection from way back is that it was that it was "pleasant."  That's all.

PM me if you want to sell it.

20 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Your comment on EQ is off the mark. The Da2 is identical to the SMSL Idea. You can see the smile-free FR response here and comparison with a Dragonfly Black here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-smsl-idea-and-audioquest-dragonfly-black-dacs.2397/

I read your post and compared the DAC's I had available (Sabaj Da2 and Korg DS-DAC010R), so I could give an informed reply. I used DT 1990 Pro headphones which are 250 ohms but very efficient. The difference between my newish i7 Windows 10 laptop's headphone out and the little Sabaj was shocking, larger and more important than the difference between the Sabaj and the several times more expensive Korg. The Korg is easily better than the Sabaj in several ways, but as I mentioned, the difference between inboard and external was pass vs. fail. 

It seems to me you did not want a response to your question after all, or maybe you were just trolling?. 

No.  My point is I don't need some electronic intercessor changing the sound.  I want to hear what's there. 

On 1/15/2019 at 1:07 PM, accwai said:

He asks me if I want to hear something on his system. I choose "To Here Knows When", the 1991 single by My Bloody Valentine that Brian Eno described as "the vaguest music ever made". When it was released, people kept taking it back to the shops, convinced that there was something wrong with the record they'd bought: surely it wasn't meant to sound like that, with its beautiful sleepy-eyed melody almost drowned out by layers of churning, woozy noise. I've listened to it obsessively for 25 years, trying to get to the bottom of what the band thought they were doing. In Steve's front room, I feel like I'm sitting in the middle of the song, the guitars arcing around me. It's overwhelming. And once again, all the downsides of audiophile addiction – the ridiculous financial excesses, the mystical woo, the obsessive behaviour – seem to evaporate.

Who wouldn't want music to sound this enveloping, this enrapturing? ... Of course I wouldn't. But there's a part of me that knows precisely why they do and thinks the rest of us don't know what we're missing.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/news/a8618/are-the-audiophiles-hearing-something-were-not/

This is genuinely well crafted British sarcasm. Or more like a sinister revenge if you happen to know the song.

Just: WHY?

2 minutes ago, marce said:

I was going to get a new DAC, but after a little debate with myself I went and got a new Fender Jazz Bass instead... I am now in audio nirvana.

PLEASE POST PHOTO.  Love to see it!!!

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law