IGNORED

Audiophile VS Musiphile - Your Thoughts?

I went to a wedding where they provided ear-plugs at each table setting!  How is that for an admission of intent?  Between courses, sound levels were in excess of 95dB so we had to spend those intervals outside the ballroom.  

At another event, blue-tooth earphones were provided for the dancers and the rest of us were spared.  Moreover, we were often entertained by the antics of the dancers, gyrating feverishly in silence.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

6 hours ago, firedog said:

What amazes me at events like weddings with such (totally unnecessary) db levels: parents who don't care that they are exposing their children to ear damaging levels of sound. The parents have a choice to what they are exposed. The kids don't. 

Fortunately, neither of my children were at that wedding.  OTOH, the noise levels were considerably lower and tolerable (but still loud) at my granddaughter's wedding.  Glad I was not forced to leave that one!

Kal Rubinson

17 hours ago, Taz777 said:

On a related note, I read a LOT of reviews of audio equipment and many mention the tracks that they used to evaluate the equipment. I've never heard of any of the tracks that I've seen mentioned. None at all. Recently I located a couple and listened to them for about 10 seconds each before I got bored of them. It doesn't matter how good a track is in terms of its recording quality - if the musicality of it doesn't appeal to me then I will never listen to it.

I think we all have that problem reading the reports because (1) reviewers are selected (or self-selected) based on their interest in the equipment and (2) you have selected to read their reports based on your interest in the equipment.    Recently, I read what seems to be a responsible and careful analysis of an interesting loudspeaker but I have no knowledge at all of any of his musical selections and, therefore, cannot translate his experiences into anything meaningful to me.

Keep looking.  I've found reviewers to whom I can relate.

Kal Rubinson

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I have one of those in my closet.  My recollection from way back is that it was that it was "pleasant."  That's all.

Kal Rubinson