IGNORED

Audiophile VS Musiphile - Your Thoughts?

I’m an Audiophile. Maybe not a politically correct answer, but that’s how it is. I of course love music, but am kind of spoiled, accustomed or whatever to listen to music live or on pretty good sounded systems. I mean used to listen to music that doesn’t make you think that they play on drums made of paper, trumpets that sounds like it they are made of tin cans or a grand piano that sound like my nephew toy piano. I can of course also listen to music in my car and I have some earbuds that I listen to while traveling on busses or trains. The difference is how I listen to music and to what type of music. At home, on my stereo, I will only listen fully focused and I do nothing else at the same time. I can’t really listen fully focused like that if the SQ is not good enough.

On 11/21/2018 at 10:06 PM, crenca said:

I disagree.  ??

"IT" is in all 3....the first 2 are not opposed to the latter.  Indeed even non audiophiles have their limits. In other words they require a certain amount of detail and quality even if it does not what your average audiophile expects.

Yep, concerning about SQ is not something only audiophiles does. The fixation regarding SQ is of course on a total different level for audiophiles compared to the rest of the population.   

14 hours ago, The_K-Man said:

It may be a "minority opinion among audiophiles", but remember who you're dealing with here - a musiphile, or more correctly melophile.

In that regard, I do not want my equipment either detracting from, or adding to, for that matter, the original sound or intent of a recording played over it.  I want my equipment to be a canvas, as transparent as I can afford it to be, upon which the musical painting, in a manner of speaking, plays out.

With that goal in mind comes some expectations I already have:  That a table-top system in the cellar will not rattle the walls in the same manner as my den or living room rig.  That neither of my aforementioned systems can quite approach a well set-up and professionally operated live system.  That the sound in my car may fall short of all but the smallest system mentioned in this paragraph.

With those expectations in my mind, I can avoid any significant disappointments in listening experiences over any of the systems in the prior paragraph. ;)

And here I believed that it was audiophiles that strived for what you describes, while melophiles focused mostly on the music itself. The definition of audiophiles and melophiles is maybe not as clear as I thought.

On 11/27/2018 at 3:02 PM, audiobomber said:

Like most everything else, it is a scale or spectrum. I knew a professional jazz musician whose only music source was a ghetto blaster. 

Yes almost all musicians love music, some like good sound too. Of those that like good sound not all strive for an accurate and unaltered sound. It’s true that it’s a scale, BUT the scale or definition don’t flip 180 degrees.

18 hours ago, The_K-Man said:

And as I've said several times throughout the discussion, one need not spend thousands of dollars - per component, per pair speaker, or per interconnect - to get good sound.   

The topic is (Audiophile VS Musiphile - Your Thoughts?), not how much cost a good audio system. I made a remark on that topic and how you described audiophiles and melophiles totally opposite to how I would have defined them.