IGNORED

Audiophile VS Musiphile - Your Thoughts?

18 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

Musiphile: Loves how music itself sounds - on any equipment.

Actually, the term is melophile, viz. one who loves music.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I can't, repeat can't, listen to "my system" and "the music" at the same time.

It's like their is a switch in my brain. The emotional response to the music supersedes all else. This happens whether I am listening through earbuds or listening on my $$$ system.

It's easier to connect to the emotional response of "the music" when I am on my $$$ system. So for me, spending $$$ on playback equipment provides a wider conduit to this emotional response.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I'm not as convinced as I once was that the Audiophile is an equipment centric, "In love with how music sounds on their equipment" eccentric and a "musicophile" or music lover is the more balanced, focused primarily on music (and equipment is secondary).   Mostly because I better see how this dichotomy is (mis)used in Audiophiledom, and is really just an argument point in the larger subjective/objective divide.

I am very interested in High Fidelity, though not the usual subjective (i.e. art & wine, bling) version of it.  Yet, at the same time some of my most enjoyable listening sessions are on/in the tread/elliptical/weight room with a pair of lowly Bose quietcomfort 35's, streaming mp3 based services through bluetooth (and thus is double lossy), or in a car with the windows rolled down and They Might be Giants turned up to the 50% distortion point (easy to achieve with car systems).

So I am with Barrows, but really I think real High Fidelity (and not Audiophiledom that you see in the trade publications and at audio shows) & actual enjoyable music listening (which is more than mere emotion, it is also about Beauty which is objective) is not so much "both" as "beyond" the equipment vs. music question...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

21 hours ago, The_K-Man said:

Audiophile: In love with how music sounds on their equipment.

Musiphile: Loves how music itself sounds - on any equipment.

I place myself largely in the latter category.  How about you?

OK, I put myself mostly in the latter category. But I do admit that I enjoy music more when it sounds good. And I do have a few peccadilloes. For instance when I go to a live concert, if I walk into the venue and see a stack of "sound reinforcement" (PA) equipment on or near the stage with microphones connected to it, I turn around and leave (if the concert was free) and if it cost money, I go demand my money back from the management. My excuse is that I came here to hear live music, If I wanted to listen to amplifiers and speakers, I could have stayed home where I have FAR better equipment than this. My preference is live before reproduced, good reproduced if possible, whatever is available if the music is good enough. When in college, I used to listen to live concerts of the NY Philharmonic on an AM/FM portable transistor radio because it was all I had (though it was a Zenith Trans Oceanic). 

George

I enjoy music, first and foremost. Regardless of sound quality, music is vitally important to me.

However, I am definitely an audiophile. I spend an inordinate amount of time and money tweaking and upgrading my various systems. Sometimes, particularly after I've made some change, this requires that I listen to certain cuts. Not necessarily for musical enjoyment, but for probative purposes. I see no conflict between that peculiarly audiophile exercise and my love of music.

I would add that musical virtuosity and technique hold little interest for me. I value melody above all. Guitar shredders, virtuoso pianists, crazy sax solos; all are boring unless I hear a melody that grips me.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

22 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

OK, I put myself mostly in the latter category. But I do admit that I enjoy music more when it sounds good. And I do have a few peccadilloes. For instance when I go to a live concert, if I walk into the venue and see a stack of "sound reinforcement" (PA) equipment on or near the stage with microphones connected to it, I turn around and leave (if the concert was free) and if it cost money, I go demand my money back from the management. My excuse is that I came here to hear live music, If I wanted to listen to amplifiers and speakers, I could have stayed home where I have FAR better equipment than this. My preference is live before reproduced, good reproduced if possible, whatever is available if the music is good enough. When in college, I used to listen to live concerts of the NY Philharmonic on an AM/FM portable transistor radio because it was all I had (though it was a Zenith Trans Oceanic). 

I agree!  

And there are some big fat myths out there regarding live/concert/worship sound:

Dynamic processing(limiters, compressors) aren't used in reinforcement of live performances.  If anything, the live performance of popular and faith-based music is becoming increasingly more processed(equalized, dynamically processed) to a point approaching how recorded genres are in mastering.

When something is compressed and or limited, it can then have gain applied to it to make it much louder than it normally is in nature, and that's before the signal even gets near the final amplifier stage!  

And the arrogance of some people - be they soundies or just spectators - to "get ear plugs"?  Some nerve.

LOL! Woodstock without sound reinforcement would have been quite a bust. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

21 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I enjoy music, first and foremost. Regardless of sound quality, music is vitally important to me.

However, I am definitely an audiophile. I spend an inordinate amount of time and money tweaking and upgrading my various systems. Sometimes, particularly after I've made some change, this requires that I listen to certain cuts. Not necessarily for musical enjoyment, but for probative purposes. I see no conflict between that peculiarly audiophile exercise and my love of music.

I would add that musical virtuosity and technique hold little interest for me. I value melody above all. Guitar shredders, virtuoso pianists, crazy sax solos; all are boring unless I hear a melody that grips me.

Put it this way:  A great recording - for me that's something from 'Thriller', 'Abacab', 'Rumours' by Mac, one of Rossini's Overtures(William Tell frinstance) - will sound great on a broad cross section of gear, from an iPod, to a table top radio, to a rack of components to your finely tuned audiophile system.  

Make music sound great again, instead of engineering it for the least common denominator(smart phones with pill-sized amps and cheap stock ear buds), and I'll start buying music from after the mid-1990s again. ;)

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

OK, I put myself mostly in the latter category. But I do admit that I enjoy music more when it sounds good. And I do have a few peccadilloes. For instance when I go to a live concert, if I walk into the venue and see a stack of "sound reinforcement" (PA) equipment on or near the stage with microphones connected to it, I turn around and leave (if the concert was free) and if it cost money, I go demand my money back from the management. My excuse is that I came here to hear live music,

What I find interesting is that the sound reinforcement crowd can get it right, if they try. Normally it sounds atrocious, but I have had a couple of PA equipped venues get it spot on - that is, there was absolutely nothing in the sound that drew attention to the PA mechanism; it just got out of the way and allowed me to go with the music.

2 hours ago, audiobomber said:

LOL! Woodstock without sound reinforcement would have been quite a bust. 

When I talk of concerts, I refer to classical music or jazz. Much rock and pop music is, of course, non-existent outside of a studio as many of the instruments require electronic amplification. That is why with rock concerts, the performers more or less have to take their "studio" with them. Without the SR, there would be no performance. That's understandable and that's not what I mean when I say that if I see SR equipment I walk. These are not rock or pop performances which I wouldn't be attending in the first place. So you can rest assured I'm not complaining about SR at pop concerts. There I understand it is a necessity, but at classical (and most jazz) concerts it's not needed at all - yet all too often, there it is. 

George

at classical (and most jazz) concerts it's not needed at all - yet all too often, there it is. 

I attended a performance by The Bad Plus at an old church in Toronto. Of course the concert used "SR", as you call it, and within the first minute the mic on the piano fell inside and lay directly on the strings. It sounded absolutely awful, but the sound guys did nothing. So the drummer (who's always been my favourite in the trio) got up, walked over, and pulled the mic out of the piano. A little later the bass player said if we had any friends who couldn't make it that night they should drop by tomorrow, as the reverb would probably still be audible.

Well, Frank, that's irrelevant to me. I go to concerts to hear real, live acoustic instruments playing in a real space.

Yes, keep it all away from classical performances - but there was one situation, before I got my first good dose of playback quality, where it "did help": at the time I was acquainted with a well known classical guitar player, and at a concert where he played a composition requiring orchestral backing, he was somewhat drowned out by the intensity of their playing. He knew this, and asked if it made sense to get some slight SR; I agreed, and just using a judicious amount made all the difference ...

The events I mentioned had popular music content, and the SR was purely to create a sound level that matched the visuals - insufficient sound intensity, getting the balance wrong between visual and sound, can make a performance seem lacking - and hence SR is justified.

I regard myself in between audiophile and melophile.  IMHO, it is rare to be on the either extreme side.  Have you ever heard a should be beautiful violin melody ruined by poor equipment and you have to stop playing it or would you be contended with fantistic sound effects without any need of good melody at all.

The equipment is the means to play good melodies.  When I switch equipment, I usually found some albums become more enjoyable, some no change and some become worse.  

MetalNuts

When I talk of concerts, I refer to classical music or jazz. Much rock and pop music is, of course, non-existent outside of a studio as many of the instruments require electronic amplification. That is why with rock concerts, the performers more or less have to take their "studio" with them. Without the SR, there would be no performance. That's understandable and that's not what I mean when I say that if I see SR equipment I walk. These are not rock or pop performances which I wouldn't be attending in the first place. So you can rest assured I'm not complaining about SR at pop concerts. There I understand it is a necessity, but at classical (and most jazz) concerts it's not needed at all - yet all too often, there it is. 

44 minutes ago, Daccord said:

I attended a performance by The Bad Plus at an old church in Toronto. Of course the concert used "SR", as you call it, and within the first minute the mic on the piano fell inside and lay directly on the strings. It sounded absolutely awful, but the sound guys did nothing. So the drummer (who's always been my favourite in the trio) got up, walked over, and pulled the mic out of the piano. A little later the bass player said if we had any friends who couldn't make it that night they should drop by tomorrow, as the reverb would probably still be audible.

My wife and I attended the Gipsy Kings concert in a nearby city last month.  Turns out they broke up a while back, and so two of the original members were there with 3 of their sons and touring as the "Gipsy Kings", so only 5 "acoustic" guitars.  Behind them were keys, drums, electric bass and guitar, etc.  Lots and lots of "sound reinforcement".  I knew we were in trouble as soon as we walked into the venue.

It was worse than I could have ever imagined.  Whenever the drummer played his kick drum (which was often) it came out horribly distorted, at a volume that overwhelmed everything else, and it had a tail of pure distortion that lasted about 1 second.  I stuffed half a roll of toilet paper in my ears in a vain attempt to mitigate the badness.

Hard to understand, but most folks simply drank their liquor and appeared to be having a good time.

It reinforced for me how vain it is for audiophiles to hope to convert the majority to "hi res" or some such...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

1 hour ago, crenca said:

It was worse than I could have ever imagined.  Whenever the drummer played his kick drum (which was often) it came out horribly distorted, at a volume that overwhelmed everything else, and it had a tail of pure distortion that lasted about 1 second. 

I don't know if the sound men are functionally deaf, incompetent, inattentive or a combination of these. I've been to a lot of concerts where there was no excuse for what we heard.