IGNORED

Best inexpensive streamer solutions

It seems that linux-audio is getting a lot of chatter here, but i am curious if those that are raving about linux-audio have compared it to others, such as

moode

volumio

daphile

pcp

rune audio (not roon- http://www.runeaudio.com/ )

and what versions offer what over the others.

volumio and rune audio seems nice in that it can be controlled from a web browser which is important to me, but of course SQ is most important....if i could get 95% sq and a way to control via web browser that would win as my frequent solution (using hqplayer as separate solution for my more serious listening)....as i really want web control, as i hate using smart phones and am always on my computer....i even do my sms via computer.

I never researched volumio much until i found out about "

Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra network bridge/streamer/purifier

This box looks like a great deal too, in that it has the os and reclocker regenerator built in, but it's not cheap at $800, but still a consideration, but if you can use rune-audio and get similar SQ for under a couple hundred bucks, and i can control it from a web browser or smartphone, that seems like it could be a winner?

Anyone else try rune-audio?

ack, forget rune-audio...i just read last release was 2015...must have had a short life...but it did look promising?  The web interface looks a lot like volumio...maybe they sold it to volumio, or joint effort with volumio?  The interface resembles it too closely for it not to have a relationship between the two.

I am sure volumio is still being developed as the pro-ject streamer was just recently made available for sale, and it is using volumio.

1 hour ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I have seen other posts on other forums that people using a Raspberry Pi and Toslink daughterboard etc., can implement an inexpensive streamer for less than £150.

Not sure of the capability compared to other offerings.

Regards,

Shadders.

volumio is free if you have any unused pc laying around....doesn't get any cheaper than that, and you can use android, iphone, or just a windows browser to control and play music.

27 minutes ago, Dmitre said:

We have a lot of trials and test of current OS for ARM Volumio, Moode, RuneAudio, DietPi, PiCorePlayer+LMS — https://www.dastereo.ru/t/volumio-moode-runeaudio-dietpi-picoreplayer-pleery-i-soft-dlya-arm-kompov-obsuzhdaem-tolko-zvuchanie-i-nastrojki/11568

The best is really depends on your requiremens (Roon, Spotify, Tidal, NAS, local filez and Apps for play).

Moode is best in terms of SQ.

The second part are HATs for Raspberry Pi. We tried A LOT and the best one for streaming today is

Pi2Design 502DAC http://pi2design.com. It beats Digione Signature and Hifiberry Digi Pro.

We tested Pi2Design 502DAC with good linear PSU agains SoundAware D100 Superme, Auralic streamers, Berkeley USB and Pi2Design 502DAC is BETTER for 109$ + money for PSU https://www.dastereo.ru/t/pi2-design-502dac-nas-vseh-spasla-arm-shlyapa-setevoj-pleer-za-100-hajp-tut/16304

89a9d58cd27643ccd625299b8c9765159c918283

Pi2Design 502DAC has good CD-player signature instead of harsh todays streamers

Also just curious if you personally have tried volumio, as i like that:

A) you can download a bootable image to work on any pc

B) easy 10 min install

C) control from web browser.

D) FREE

If it is even close to SQ of others, then those features makes it nice for my desires for day to day play (i would have 2nd system for best sq for serious listening).

I saw youtube video where hans likes it a lot when used with the new pro-ject s2 ultra streamer and purifier and says it sounds better than original sotm.

Depending whether you’re comfortable downloading and installing the customized Linux distros you’ve mentioned, there are lots of extremely capable mini-PCs with decent CPUs (i5 or i7) that don’t cost a lot and would easily run them.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

15 minutes ago, Jud said:

Depending whether you’re comfortable downloading and installing the customized Linux distros you’ve mentioned, there are lots of extremely capable mini-PCs with decent CPUs (i5 or i7) that don’t cost a lot and would easily run them.

I think at least a couple of the linux distros are for pi architecture only....but i do know that volumio and audio-linux support intel architecture as well.  Right now i am leaning toward volumio since it is free and supports web browser player control.

I have 3 RPis running Volumio, one with a Hifiberry pro hat, one with an Allo Boss hat and one with iFi Nano iDSD over USB.  The iFi was the most expensive at $199.  An RPi with an Allo Boss complete package was $129 shipped from India and it came in 4 days.  

I feed them running Audirvana on my iMac, or via Airplay directly from an iPhone, or, or, or  There are so many ways to get music to it, including a NAS drive.  Installation of Volumio is easy, or in the case of my Allo Boss was already installed.  You just download and write the image to a micro-SD card.  When you boot it up the first time it walks you through a short installation that consists of logging into your home network and selecting the DAC.

As for sound quality they all beat anything I've had up until now, but I never had an expensive DAC, just run of the mill CD/DVD players.  They will play hi-res up to 384 and the few that I've heard at that high rate sound stunning.  The one tweak I've done is to use battery power instead of the wallwart for my main system.  The others are good enough with the 5v converters.

You may be able to beat the SQ, but not at the price. 

12 hours ago, Dmitre said:

The second part are HATs for Raspberry Pi. We tried A LOT and the best one for streaming today is

Pi2Design 502DAC http://pi2design.com.

Agree. Moode on the 502DAC is superb. It's not hard to add Roon Bridge to it either (just 3 commands via SSH).

Then you have both Roon endpoint , UPnP renderer and all the other things Moode supports.

It's UPnP renderer is rock solid for me with mConnect Player, Bubble UPnP and Audirvana.

4 hours ago, zacster said:

I have 3 RPis running Volumio, one with a Hifiberry pro hat, one with an Allo Boss hat and one with iFi Nano iDSD over USB.  The iFi was the most expensive at $199.  An RPi with an Allo Boss complete package was $129 shipped from India and it came in 4 days.  

I feed them running Audirvana on my iMac, or via Airplay directly from an iPhone, or, or, or  There are so many ways to get music to it, including a NAS drive.  Installation of Volumio is easy, or in the case of my Allo Boss was already installed.  You just download and write the image to a micro-SD card.  When you boot it up the first time it walks you through a short installation that consists of logging into your home network and selecting the DAC.

As for sound quality they all beat anything I've had up until now, but I never had an expensive DAC, just run of the mill CD/DVD players.  They will play hi-res up to 384 and the few that I've heard at that high rate sound stunning.  The one tweak I've done is to use battery power instead of the wallwart for my main system.  The others are good enough with the 5v converters.

You may be able to beat the SQ, but not at the price. 

You are talking my language...i used to use a sony bluray player as a DSD streamer dac, and it beat usb dacs costing thousands (lol), seriously.

Glad you are happy, i am definetely going to try volumio (intel platform) connected to a cheap dac and control from web browser....looking forward to it...i just have a few more house proejects i need to do first.

17 hours ago, Dmitre said:

We have a lot of trials and test of current OS for ARM Volumio, Moode, RuneAudio, DietPi, PiCorePlayer+LMS — https://www.dastereo.ru/t/volumio-moode-runeaudio-dietpi-picoreplayer-pleery-i-soft-dlya-arm-kompov-obsuzhdaem-tolko-zvuchanie-i-nastrojki/11568

The best is really depends on your requiremens (Roon, Spotify, Tidal, NAS, local filez and Apps for play).

Pi2Design 502DAC http://pi2design.com. It beats Digione Signature and Hifiberry Digi Pro.

We tested Pi2Design 502DAC with good linear PSU agains SoundAware D100 Superme, Auralic streamers, Berkeley USB and Pi2Design 502DAC is BETTER for 109$ + money for PSU https://www.dastereo.ru/t/pi2-design-502dac-nas-vseh-spasla-arm-shlyapa-setevoj-pleer-za-100-hajp-tut/16304

89a9d58cd27643ccd625299b8c9765159c918283

Pi2Design 502DAC has good CD-player signature instead of harsh todays streamers

is there any advantage to using raspberry pi's over intel architecture?

i have lots of intel boxes around here unused, and no pi's....

I believe i am reading that moode will only run on pi's not intel?

I am thinking of doing volumio on intel...thoughts?

Yep,

We had a lot of experience with different Intel arch motherboards. As for today RPi + 502DAC hat + Moode + good linear PSU kicks

— Intel motherboads with SOTM or custom ESI Juli

— Auralic Aries

— uRendu

— SoundAware D100 Superme

502 streams so close to good old CD-players like Audio Note, Micromega. You should really need to give a try!

8 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

You are talking my language...i used to use a sony bluray player as a DSD streamer dac, and it beat usb dacs costing thousands (lol), seriously.

Glad you are happy, i am definetely going to try volumio (intel platform) connected to a cheap dac and control from web browser....looking forward to it...i just have a few more house proejects i need to do first.

But you should really give an RPi and Boss or Hifiberry hat a try.  They are so inexpensive, less than any standalone USB dac I've seen.  They sound great too without the bloatware.  

12 minutes ago, zacster said:

But you should really give an RPi and Boss or Hifiberry hat a try.  They are so inexpensive, less than any standalone USB dac I've seen.  They sound great too without the bloatware.  

i have had several external dacs since back in the old days (about 7 years ago now) when  i used to use a sony bluray player as a dsd streamer dac.  Currently i have a TEAC NT503 and a MARANTZ ND8006.  I was one of the first ones on this site that was using ethernet to stream dsd where everyone else was doing usb.  I was literally laughed off tthis site by naysayers about ethernet and dsd....I also predicted that AVRs would support dsd via enet back then, and everyone else said i was crazy, that neither dsd or enet would survive.  I really like the marantz because it supports heos and i can tell alexa to turn on, turn off, shuffle play lists, skip track, volume up down etc....I am content now, but i am curious as to all the "HOOPLA" surrounding SQ with audio-linux.    While researching i came upon volumio which has another feature i have been wanting since back when i started dsd and enet (web player)....and so i may try both volumio and audio-linux...haven't decided on the hardware yet though...i do have a few i5 asus vivo pc's that i would like to use, but not sure what is supposedly better, an intel i5 or a pi architecture for these lightweight linux kernels.

6 hours ago, Dmitre said:

Yep,

We had a lot of experience with different Intel arch motherboards. As for today RPi + 502DAC hat + Moode + good linear PSU kicks

— Intel motherboads with SOTM or custom ESI Juli

— Auralic Aries

— uRendu

— SoundAware D100 Superme

502 streams so close to good old CD-players like Audio Note, Micromega. You should really need to give a try!

do you think moode on a pi will beat audio-linux on nuc?  if you do, you should post that in the 5000 page thread...you will probably be laughed at...they are all like audio-linux on nuc is the best thing since sliced bread???

I would like to state it clearly - If you don't need Native DSD and USB-output but you need gorgeous BNC/RCA/AES output (streamer) without any harshness of modern day streamers you should go straight for 502 (+502 gives you free but good DAC as well. You don't need spent 300-400$ for Chinese DAC).

I think they afraid of 

1) Take RPi

2) Put 502 above with four bolts (without soldering)

3) Put Volumio on SD card

4) Plug it with PSU from your mobile or iPAD

E N J O Y MUSIC!.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2018 at 12:32 AM, beerandmusic said:

do you think moode on a pi will beat audio-linux on nuc?  if you do, you should post that in the 5000 page thread...you will probably be laughed at...they are all like audio-linux on nuc is the best thing since sliced bread???

From my experience, sound quality of Raspberry Pi streamer depend greatly on what HAT you use, as Dmitre mentioned 502 DAC is great (I haven't heard it personally). I like very much Digione Signature powered by batteries.

If you plan to use straight path from raspberry USB to your DAC I dont think you will hear benefits compared to NUC...

With great S/PDIF transport you should beat regular PC or NUC or even a lot of commercial streamers easily...

Also it is very easy to change operating system in Raspberry Pi- you just swap micro SD card in few seconds- so you can very easily try Volumio, Mood audio, picore player, ropieee etc and choose one you like most.

Volumio is great, probably best UI and feature set of all RPi systems - you can stream Tidal and Qobuz (but this is with 2,99€ subscription) but I was experiencing dropouts regularly with higher than CD quality streaming...

So with Volumio you have best UI but regarding sound quality I would try picore player or Moode...

25 minutes ago, qwak said:

From my experience, sound quality of Raspberry Pi streamer depend greatly on what HAT you use, as Dmitre mentioned 502 DAC is great (I haven't heard it personally). I like very much Digione Signature powered by batteries.

If you plan to use straight path from raspberry USB to your DAC I dont think you will hear benefits compared to NUC...

With great S/PDIF transport you should beat regular PC or NUC or even a lot of commercial streamers easily...

Also it is very easy to change operating system in Raspberry Pi- you just swap micro SD card in few seconds- so you can very easily try Volumio, Mood audio, picore player, ropieee etc and choose one you like most.

Volumio is great, probably best UI and feature set of all RPi systems - you can stream Tidal and Qobuz (but this is with 2,99€ subscription) but I was experiencing dropouts regularly with higher than CD quality streaming...

So with Volumio you have best UI but regarding sound quality I would try picore player or Moode...

Most, if not all, would disagree with spdif...it reportedly has more jitter...it may be better if you have "noise issues" but my understanding is that it is not the ideal transmission method provided everything else is ok.

I may try volumio anyway, because i like the idea of web interface!!  plus it will also install on x86 hardware.  I will see if i experience any issues with native DSD on x86 and volumio.

Well If you have great streamer and can choose from and USB, S/PDIF than maybe USB would be better (I would argue that it depend on DAC you use because they usually dont have equally good inputs- meaning that USB is equal to S/PDIF or AES or vice versa) bur RPi does not have great USB output..

Allo state that Signature has measured jitter less than 400 femto seconds  (tested at buffer)...From my test Digione signature RCA S/PDIF was considerably better than straight USB from my PC...

BTW almost all RPi operating systems use web intergace...Moode for sure has one, DietPi has one

40 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Most, if not all, would disagree with spdif...it reportedly has more jitter...it may be better if you have "noise issues" but my understanding is that it is not the ideal transmission method provided everything else is ok.

I may try volumio anyway, because i like the idea of web interface!!  plus it will also install on x86 hardware.  I will see if i experience any issues with native DSD on x86 and volumio.

Well If you have great streamer and can choose from USB, S/PDIF than maybe USB would be better (I would argue that it depend on DAC you use because they usually dont have equally good inputs- meaning that USB is equal to S/PDIF or AES or vice versa) bur RPi does not have great USB output..

Allo state that Signature has measured jitter less than 400 femto seconds  (tested at buffer)...From my test Digione signature RCA S/PDIF was considerably better than straight USB from my PC...

BTW almost all RPi operating systems use web interface...Moode for sure has one, DietPi has one

10 minutes ago, qwak said:

Well If you have great streamer and can choose from USB, S/PDIF than maybe USB would be better (I would argue that it depend on DAC you use because they usually dont have equally good inputs- meaning that USB is equal to S/PDIF or AES or vice versa) bur RPi does not have great USB output..

BTW almost all RPi operating systems use web interface...Moode for sure has one, DietPi has one

OK, thanks for this information...yea, i never really looked at rpi solutions...

curious why so many rpi users if they acknowledge it doesn't have great usb...and x86 is laying around free everywhere these days? 

is volumio the only linux distro w/web gui you know of that works on x86, as i personally don't want to look at going rpi unless there is an obvious reason over x86?