IGNORED

How to power a 3.5" WD HDD with an external LPS

hicr49

5 hours ago, hicr49 said:

Digging around little more and guess this might be the best option to externally power a 3.5" hdd with an LPS?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005TWE5E6/ref=psdc_1161760_t2_B0035UETHW

Unless there's other option that can provide better SQ/cleaner power for the 3.5" hdd...

Given it's small form factor, it almost certainly uses switching regulators, which is not a good idea for the best SQ.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 minutes ago, hicr49 said:

True, and I think you are correct that these use switching regulators. However, I don't see any other way to power a 3.5" HDD without using an hdd enclosure which always convert into USB out.

Or is there an alternate option out there?

I don't know about presently available enclosures, but some had an eSata input option as well.

It was even possible to extend a short SATA cable from the PC through an opening in the PC's case through an opening in the enclosure.

There are 12V 1.5A SMPS adaptors available on ebay but you would need to check the output plug's compatibility.

Sometimes , despite being SMPS, you can obtain an audible improvement by earthing the -VE side of it's output.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020