IGNORED

How to power a 3.5" WD HDD with an external LPS

hicr49

1 hour ago, hicr49 said:

Hi, I have a 3.5" WD 10TB HDD (bare drive) which I would like to power it with an external power supply (eg. HPLEX, SOtM SPS-500, etc) through the drive's SATA power. It'll be use for music storage only on an Intel NUC.  The drive is rated 5v/12v.  Just wondering if I should set the power supply at 5V or 12V?  Or is there a better way to provide clean power to a HDD?

Many thanks!

You need both 5 AND 12 V for 3,5" WB..   Red/black Wire is 5V, and 12V is yellow/black.

Or choose a 2,5" drive that only need 5V.

Asus Prime-P z590 MB. Intel Core  i5 11400 , Jcat usb XE Pci-usb card. Intel Optane m2 with Euphony Stylus software. And running Ramrod.

Jcat Femto Netcard. HDPlex linear w300, HDPlex 400 atx, HDPlex H5 case. MPAudio SLS-hpuln with JCat Optimo Nano Powering the Jcat XE pcie-usb card. Farad 3 lpsu powering the Netcard femto. 2 Buffalo 2008 switch. One stock, and one Buffalo 2008 switch with NewclassD Neutron star Clock powered by MPAudio SLS-hpuln,

Voltcraft fps_1132 lpsu Powering the fibernet box, and first Buffalo 2008 switch. With a Idovr regulator.