IGNORED

How to power a 3.5" WD HDD with an external LPS

hicr49

Question

Hi, I have a 3.5" WD 10TB HDD (bare drive) which I would like to power it with an external power supply (eg. HPLEX, SOtM SPS-500, etc) through the drive's SATA power. It'll be use for music storage only on an Intel NUC.  The drive is rated 5v/12v.  Just wondering if I should set the power supply at 5V or 12V?  Or is there a better way to provide clean power to a HDD?

Many thanks!

7 answers to this question

1 hour ago, hicr49 said:

Hi, I have a 3.5" WD 10TB HDD (bare drive) which I would like to power it with an external power supply (eg. HPLEX, SOtM SPS-500, etc) through the drive's SATA power. It'll be use for music storage only on an Intel NUC.  The drive is rated 5v/12v.  Just wondering if I should set the power supply at 5V or 12V?  Or is there a better way to provide clean power to a HDD?

Many thanks!

You need both 5 AND 12 V for 3,5" WB..   Red/black Wire is 5V, and 12V is yellow/black.

Or choose a 2,5" drive that only need 5V.

Asus Prime-P z590 MB. Intel Core  i5 11400 , Jcat usb XE Pci-usb card. Intel Optane m2 with Euphony Stylus software. And running Ramrod.

Jcat Femto Netcard. HDPlex linear w300, HDPlex 400 atx, HDPlex H5 case. MPAudio SLS-hpuln with JCat Optimo Nano Powering the Jcat XE pcie-usb card. Farad 3 lpsu powering the Netcard femto. 2 Buffalo 2008 switch. One stock, and one Buffalo 2008 switch with NewclassD Neutron star Clock powered by MPAudio SLS-hpuln,

Voltcraft fps_1132 lpsu Powering the fibernet box, and first Buffalo 2008 switch. With a Idovr regulator. 

Thanks @Lauritsvd for the info. If I would like to stay with a 3.5" hdd. Is there a way (or some kind of an adapter) I can use to power the HDD with two lps (one at 5V and one at 12V) without using an HDD enclosure? Or is using a HDD enclosure my only option? 

5 hours ago, hicr49 said:

Digging around little more and guess this might be the best option to externally power a 3.5" hdd with an LPS?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005TWE5E6/ref=psdc_1161760_t2_B0035UETHW

Unless there's other option that can provide better SQ/cleaner power for the 3.5" hdd...

Given it's small form factor, it almost certainly uses switching regulators, which is not a good idea for the best SQ.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 minutes ago, hicr49 said:

True, and I think you are correct that these use switching regulators. However, I don't see any other way to power a 3.5" HDD without using an hdd enclosure which always convert into USB out.

Or is there an alternate option out there?

I don't know about presently available enclosures, but some had an eSata input option as well.

It was even possible to extend a short SATA cable from the PC through an opening in the PC's case through an opening in the enclosure.

There are 12V 1.5A SMPS adaptors available on ebay but you would need to check the output plug's compatibility.

Sometimes , despite being SMPS, you can obtain an audible improvement by earthing the -VE side of it's output.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020