IGNORED

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I have a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and a Mytek Brooklyn Amp + as the power amp.  Currently I am using RCA cables between the preamp and the power amp, and I'd like to keep that as it is.

However I'm thinking of adding a subwoofer to my set up so I'm just wondering what would be the best way to cable the subwoofer up? Due to the Brooklyn not having a sub out, and the Sub I am thinking of buying (Cambridge Audio Minx X301 Active Subwoofer - 300 Watts) requiring RCA cables rather than XLR cables (do any Subs even use XLR???) I guess I'm a bit compromised for options?

Any advice hugely welcomed😀

14 minutes ago, nivek said:

Hi,

I have a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and a Mytek Brooklyn Amp + as the power amp.  Currently I am using RCA cables between the preamp and the power amp, and I'd like to keep that as it is.

However I'm thinking of adding a subwoofer to my set up so I'm just wondering what would be the best way to cable the subwoofer up? Due to the Brooklyn not having a sub out, and the Sub I am thinking of buying (Cambridge Audio Minx X301 Active Subwoofer - 300 Watts) requiring RCA cables rather than XLR cables (do any Subs even use XLR???) I guess I'm a bit compromised for options?

Any advice hugely welcomed😀

Tons of subwoofers use XLR. 

That’s the route I’d take. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

32 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Tons of subwoofers use XLR. 

That’s the route I’d take. 

I agree, but an alternative is to use an XLR to RCA adapter. That is what I've done. 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000068O4B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

Hi thanks for the replies so far.

Maybe I'm not looking in the correct places but I cannot see many XLR Subs, and any that I do find seem to be more expensive. The Cambridge Audio sub that I referred to in my original post is more within my price range (RRP £349, but can be bought for £299), so I will probably stick with my plan and look into buying this. 

As regards how to connect the Sub, given that I don't have any spare RCA cables to begin with, I guess as an alternative to audiobombers suggestion of buying an adapter I could buy an XLR to RCA cable? 

Would this cable do the trick? - it's an XLR Female to RCA Male.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H92BV3X/?coliid=IFVYQTAW1I12V&colid=2MLXKNILJJ3WS&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

20 hours ago, nivek said:

Hi thanks for the replies so far.

Maybe I'm not looking in the correct places but I cannot see many XLR Subs, and any that I do find seem to be more expensive. The Cambridge Audio sub that I referred to in my original post is more within my price range (RRP £349, but can be bought for £299), so I will probably stick with my plan and look into buying this. 

As regards how to connect the Sub, given that I don't have any spare RCA cables to begin with, I guess as an alternative to audiobombers suggestion of buying an adapter I could buy an XLR to RCA cable? 

Would this cable do the trick? - it's an XLR Female to RCA Male.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H92BV3X/?coliid=IFVYQTAW1I12V&colid=2MLXKNILJJ3WS&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

That should work. Be aware however, that not all components will accept an adapter or cable that grounds one pin. You might have a hum, or you may not. Benchmark offers adapter cables intended to overcome this issue. 

https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/cables/products/benchmark-xlrfm-to-rca-adapter-cable-pin-3-floating

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

54 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

That should work. Be aware however, that not all components will accept an adapter or cable that grounds one pin. You might have a hum, or you may not. Benchmark offers adapter cables intended to overcome this issue. 

https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/cables/products/benchmark-xlrfm-to-rca-adapter-cable-pin-3-floating

Thanks, another possible obstacle lol.

So perhaps I need to go back to the drawing board and be a bit more flexible with my initial preferences for cabling everything. eg simplify things by bringing XLR cables into the mix.

Could I use RCA cables to go from the Subwoofers input to the RCA output on the Brooklyn pre amp, and then use XLR cables to go from the XLR output on the Brooklyn pre amp to the XLR input of the Brooklyn power amp (at the moment I am using RCA cables between the two amps)?

34 minutes ago, nivek said:

Could I use RCA cables to go from the Subwoofers input to the RCA output on the Brooklyn pre amp, and then use XLR cables to go from the XLR output on the Brooklyn pre amp to the XLR input of the Brooklyn power amp (at the moment I am using RCA cables between the two amps)?

That's what I would recommend.

• 10 months later...

Hi, I'm just curious as to whether anybody has paired an external Headphone amplifier to the Brooklyn Bridge, and if so did they think it was a worthwhile upgrade to the BB's own internal headphone amp?

Also from what I can gather, depending on the external headphone amp there may be a requirement to use the trim/gain function in the BB's menu. Is this a fairly simple function to use?