IGNORED

Bird Music

On 11/10/2018 at 5:15 PM, christopher3393 said:

Bryd one brere ( Bird on a Bryre)· anon. (medieval English)

A beautiful performance!

The song (a bit more contemporary than this one :)) that immediately came to mind was :

21 hours ago, Hugo9000 said:

So, I was checking out a recording of Verdi's string quartet on Spotify, and what do I hear in the quiet passages?  Gorgeous birdsong!  Apparently, it was a live recording in some hydroelectric plant in Germany.  Sadly, I can't find it on youtube to share here.  The violinist on the Verdi quartet is the acclaimed Christian Tetzlaff.  I don't know what kind of bird is singing--a lark?  It's very beautiful, actually!  The human audience is amazingly quiet haha!

This is the CD:

2028428225_VerdiStringQuartetwithbirdsonga.thumb.jpg.4f01d57c66ee47609afa0c0103d6767b.jpg

710448843_VerdiStringQuartetwithbirdsongb.thumb.jpg.e7acd1268c1ecd0224d067a84b335cba.jpg

P.S.  In the Graffman/Bernstein/NY Phil recording of the Rachmaninov 2nd piano concerto, there is a bird.  I don't recall which movement it appears in, but it's a welcome distraction from the noisy musicians shuffling their sheet music and scraping their chairs and whatever other odd things they were doing.  That recording is the reason I hate that orchestra haha!  The only orchestra I know of where a live audience isn't needed to provide coughing--the musicians provide it themselves in the studio.  No discipline whatsoever!

The album 'Junun' was recorded in Mehrangarh Fort in Rajasthan, India. All reverb on the album is natural and a large space beneath the fort was used as an echo chamber. But birds couldn't be kept from visiting this space so you can clearly hear them on some of the songs eg (I think they even turned the volume of birdsong up every now and then):

There is also a short track entitled 'There Are Birds in the Echo Chamber' on the album!

5 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Pretty song?

Pretty indeed. I like it even more than Jordi Savall's version. The very first seconds of the song made me think about Ladysmith Black Mambazo. I think it was due to the fantastic rhythmic abilities of the choir. If someone doesn't know what I'm talking about :

Two more movie soundtracks. I admit I prefer three first Inarritu's movies (despite the fact that they weren't related to birds in any meaningful way) but 'Birdman' was a good one too.

Peter Gabriel's 'Birdy' OST.

And speaking of an urge to fly (birds inspired not only soft genres performers..)

One morning while reading a newspaper, Jarbas Agnelli saw a photograph of birds on an electric wire. He cut out the photo and was inspired to make a song using the exact location of the birds as musical notes. He was curious to hear what melody the birds created...

And sampled birds once again.

2 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

While some composers are inspired by birdsong, there is a bird which is highly inspired by sounds he hears and is an absolute master in mimicking them - from sounds of other birds to camera shutter, car alarm, chainsaw(!) and human speech. Ladies and gentlemen, introducing the king of animal plagiarism - Lyre Bird..

Starlings have been known to sing the classic Nokia ringtone, back when Nokia was synonymous with phone.

15 hours ago, mansr said:

Starlings have been known to sing the classic Nokia ringtone, back when Nokia was synonymous with phone.

I've heard a lyre bird imitating both - the Nokia ringtone and a sterling mimicking it and there was a distinct sound difference between the two. Lyre birds rule! I'm pretty sure they'd be able to clearly demonstrate SQ differences between audio components. Power cords included.

So leaving music aside for a moment: who are better dancers - Homo Sapiens or Aves.?

Professionals. Great synchronization, isn't it.

Also a professional. RIP.

Birds of paradise. Are they pro or amateur.? Definitely they don't get paid but sometimes their dance pays off..

And from the above mentioned Spotify playlist:

Takemitsu: A Flock Descends into the Pentagonal Garden

"This beautifully titled composition for orchestra was inspired by a dream in which the composer saw a flock of white birds, led by a single blackbird swirling around and then descending into a pentagonal or star-shaped garden. The garden, however, turned out to be the star on the back of artist Marcel Duchamp's head in the famous photograph by Man Ray."

https://www.allmusic.com/composition/a-flock-descends-into-the-pentagonal-garden-for-orchestra-mc0002372010

https://rhagye.com/2013/11/03/analysis-of-takemitsus-a-flock-descends-into-the-pentagonal-garden/

@christopher3393 Listening to "A Flock Descends into the Pentagonal Garden' has been a refreshing experience. It almost felt like having my inner music hard drive defragmented! Got to check out this guy's music! Thx!

Birdism - the new religion. Its guru is Wayne Donowho.

Anti-birdism - 5G (but this might be real fake news)

36 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

but this might be real fake news

Yes. I think you can count on it having more imagination than authenticity. Birdism is another matter  ?

accwai introduced me to Takemitsu, but it was the bird theme that sparked the interest.

Another bird piece by Takemitsu:

A Bird Came Down the Walk - Viola on Stage

Nobuko Imai (viola), Roland Pöntinen (piano)

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7922376--a-bird-came-down-the-walk-viola-on-stage

7318590008294.thumb.jpg.9c16bb994800e666cb39b04f1991b67f.jpg

no youtube video of this particular performance, but available on Spotify

It is inspired by an Emily Dickinson poem of the same name:

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/56593/a-bird-came-down-the-walk-359

Nice article on this piece: https://juliemichael.weebly.com/uploads/9/0/1/4/90148655/zen_in_the_art_of_viola_playing_published_pdf.pdf

58888924_item02c(1).thumb.jpg.c6d54d5700fa0e41bdaec18276b032d8.jpg