IGNORED

Bird Music

Here is an explanation where the inspiration for this thread came from :

Let me start with two pieces.

A birdsong-inspired part of Messiaen's 'Quatuor Pour La Fin Du Temps'.

This is obviously a bird-inspired theme too :) (probably the most popular one ever):

1. Ethno version.

2. Classical version.

3. Dance version.

Hope you're ready to have some fun!

3 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

This is the bird-bomb!

Olivier Messiaen: Catalogue d'Oiseaux

Pierre-Laurent Aimard

827949067068.thumb.jpg.25268c07a0bdf7c66b010bb06957e3f9.jpg

More? OK:

You can sample it on Spotify as well. Lots of positive reviews.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8404435--messiaen-catalogue-doiseaux-books-1-7-complete

I bet it is!

I remember upvoting the first video when you posted it a couple of months ago. I found the whole performance amazing! Thanks for reminding me about it!

3 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

This song was a tribute to Janis Joplin.

:D

2819212-JXXECVSC-6.jpg

Something from me :

BTW the song has been Ajax Amsterdam fans anthem for years. Here is their performance featuring a special guest appearance by Ky-Mani Marley.

I hope you take it to heart that my interest in the Stockhausen hasn't matured to the level of having preferred versions.  So it was great that you self recommended on that one.  x-D

As for "The Lark Ascending".  There must be a million recordings.  This is a piece with a fair amount of room for interpretation and I liked the straighter version Steinbacher played in that video.  Going to defer to others for a more vivid and encompassing list of suggested recordings.  I could rattle off a RVW expert or two but they could refine it to a specific release.

Offhand I can think of two other works that call for an actual bird;.  Ketèlbey "In a Monastery Garden", Respighi "Pines of Rome: The Pines of the Janiculum".  Faris on Philips and Neschling on BIS would respectively be good places to start.  If you can hear the bird on the latter your walls will be shaking by the end!

Rautavaara's "Cantus Arcticus".  Your choices for recordings are primarily the Segerstram you listened to, Vänskä, and Lintu.  This is really a wild piece recordings lacking the pristine SQ of the those three should be considered on.  Almost across the board any Nordic compositions that don't currently enjoy massive popularity can be found with excellent playing on Finlandia.   

1 hour ago, rando said:

It's too early in the morning here to have this sprung on me.  Thank you for the unexpected laugh.  Not sure if you were aware the cultural ground this currently rests upon in the US is hardly where one aspires towards.  It has become the punchline to numerous jokes to the effect shouting Freebird is going to have hands reaching to cover eyes while stifling a laugh.  Don't let this take away from your enjoyment of it.  

I am not overly serious when posting in CA most of the time, if it answers your comment.

12 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

actually, the current thinking (see the parrot video) is that rhythm in birds is related to vocal mimicry (at least at higher levels of mimicry - I'm sure some guy is trying to get NIH to fund a study on cat birds right now)

Gloggle the key words and you can see what is already published

16 hours ago, rando said:

I hope you take it to heart that my interest in the Stockhausen hasn't matured to the level of having preferred versions.  So it was great that you self recommended on that one.  x-D

My recommendation was based purely on my volume balance of strings vs helicobirds preference, was never able to listen to this piece for more than 3 minutes and these two youtube videos are actually the only versions I 'know'. :)

7 hours ago, rando said:

The famous birdsong-sequence from the second movement of Beethoven's Pastorale Symphony, with original bird images. The Nightingale - played by the Flute - with its characteristic whistle followed by an accelerating trilling sound; The Quail - played by the Oboe - with its trisyllabic song The Cuckoo - played by the Clarinet

Wow! Didn't know this is a birdsong sequence (should have been obvious to me from the start)! Sounds more amazing than ever to me now - a real bird-inspired little masterpiece!  

12 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Bird

Of course! Not many jazzmen were interested in ornithology more than him!

15 hours ago, wgscott said:

51GqY1HRBnL._SX425_.jpg

I got this in 1982 from LL Bean when in college in Maine, on thick vinyl that easily scratches.

I finally broke down and got a digital copy as well.

Seems you're seriously interested in birds too. BTW which loon calls do sound more realistic - analogue or digital ones.?

On 11/6/2018 at 7:21 PM, christopher3393 said:

This is the bird-bomb!

Olivier Messiaen: Catalogue d'Oiseaux

Pierre-Laurent Aimard

A bird-bomb indeed! Did a very quick comparison of this and two other versions. The first impression was Anatol Ugorski's performance may be a bit too explosive and too little birdy at times for my taste, Peter Hill's performance is quite interesting but I think I'm leaning towards Aimard's version.

6 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Just found this playlist on Spotify: "Birdsong in Classical Music". Hope it is of some use:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DX13IHBurI057

Also found this much more selective list:

http://www.classical-music.com/article/six-best-pieces-music-inspired-birdsong

I don't know how to express my gratitude for this find! Awesome! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

I'm suprised nobody has posted this one yet. OK, so the bird doesn't sing, but it's still a bird.

I don't know if it can be called singing but they make sounds for sure:

A bird song of the day - albatross song. It's worth noting that the video starts with a long bird's-eye view shot

(it's a crane :)).