IGNORED

Bird Music

I hope you take it to heart that my interest in the Stockhausen hasn't matured to the level of having preferred versions.  So it was great that you self recommended on that one.  x-D

As for "The Lark Ascending".  There must be a million recordings.  This is a piece with a fair amount of room for interpretation and I liked the straighter version Steinbacher played in that video.  Going to defer to others for a more vivid and encompassing list of suggested recordings.  I could rattle off a RVW expert or two but they could refine it to a specific release.

Offhand I can think of two other works that call for an actual bird;.  Ketèlbey "In a Monastery Garden", Respighi "Pines of Rome: The Pines of the Janiculum".  Faris on Philips and Neschling on BIS would respectively be good places to start.  If you can hear the bird on the latter your walls will be shaking by the end!

Rautavaara's "Cantus Arcticus".  Your choices for recordings are primarily the Segerstram you listened to, Vänskä, and Lintu.  This is really a wild piece recordings lacking the pristine SQ of the those three should be considered on.  Almost across the board any Nordic compositions that don't currently enjoy massive popularity can be found with excellent playing on Finlandia.   

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...