IGNORED

Bird Music

12 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

actually, the current thinking (see the parrot video) is that rhythm in birds is related to vocal mimicry (at least at higher levels of mimicry - I'm sure some guy is trying to get NIH to fund a study on cat birds right now)

Gloggle the key words and you can see what is already published

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cetaceans are more talkative.

For an interesting book on one particular parrot, try:  Alex & Me by Irene Pepperberg.

I am not gonna weigh in on the veracity of her claims, or whether she was railroaded by the good ol' boyz, etc. etc.

There are also a couple of interesting books on ravens by Bernd Heinrich (who studied bumblebees when he was in Calif.)

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Actually,  it has been "explained" in the sense of making an adaptive story (tho not experimentally verified).  Louder sounds attract some female birds (and similarly frogs), and can repel competitor males, presumably enhancing mating success of the male.  It is not alway to the adv. of the male to have  mated female able to hear other males either...

In other species, call complexity is more important.  In fact, one anthropologists and psychologists learned about biology they began to speculate on human art as being essentially mate advertising.  There are some suggestive correlates, including age of greatest output being related to ages most likely to breed, etc. etc.

Also, some birds seem to prefer vinyl...

• 1 month later...