IGNORED

Bird Music

Here is an explanation where the inspiration for this thread came from :

Let me start with two pieces.

A birdsong-inspired part of Messiaen's 'Quatuor Pour La Fin Du Temps'.

This is obviously a bird-inspired theme too :) (probably the most popular one ever):

1. Ethno version.

2. Classical version.

3. Dance version.

Hope you're ready to have some fun!

3 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

This is the bird-bomb!

Olivier Messiaen: Catalogue d'Oiseaux

Pierre-Laurent Aimard

827949067068.thumb.jpg.25268c07a0bdf7c66b010bb06957e3f9.jpg

More? OK:

You can sample it on Spotify as well. Lots of positive reviews.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8404435--messiaen-catalogue-doiseaux-books-1-7-complete

I bet it is!

I remember upvoting the first video when you posted it a couple of months ago. I found the whole performance amazing! Thanks for reminding me about it!

3 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

This song was a tribute to Janis Joplin.

:D

2819212-JXXECVSC-6.jpg

Something from me :

BTW the song has been Ajax Amsterdam fans anthem for years. Here is their performance featuring a special guest appearance by Ky-Mani Marley.

16 hours ago, rando said:

I hope you take it to heart that my interest in the Stockhausen hasn't matured to the level of having preferred versions.  So it was great that you self recommended on that one.  x-D

My recommendation was based purely on my volume balance of strings vs helicobirds preference, was never able to listen to this piece for more than 3 minutes and these two youtube videos are actually the only versions I 'know'. :)

7 hours ago, rando said:

The famous birdsong-sequence from the second movement of Beethoven's Pastorale Symphony, with original bird images. The Nightingale - played by the Flute - with its characteristic whistle followed by an accelerating trilling sound; The Quail - played by the Oboe - with its trisyllabic song The Cuckoo - played by the Clarinet

Wow! Didn't know this is a birdsong sequence (should have been obvious to me from the start)! Sounds more amazing than ever to me now - a real bird-inspired little masterpiece!  

12 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Bird

Of course! Not many jazzmen were interested in ornithology more than him!

15 hours ago, wgscott said:

51GqY1HRBnL._SX425_.jpg

I got this in 1982 from LL Bean when in college in Maine, on thick vinyl that easily scratches.

I finally broke down and got a digital copy as well.

Seems you're seriously interested in birds too. BTW which loon calls do sound more realistic - analogue or digital ones.?

On 11/6/2018 at 7:21 PM, christopher3393 said:

This is the bird-bomb!

Olivier Messiaen: Catalogue d'Oiseaux

Pierre-Laurent Aimard

A bird-bomb indeed! Did a very quick comparison of this and two other versions. The first impression was Anatol Ugorski's performance may be a bit too explosive and too little birdy at times for my taste, Peter Hill's performance is quite interesting but I think I'm leaning towards Aimard's version.

6 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Just found this playlist on Spotify: "Birdsong in Classical Music". Hope it is of some use:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DX13IHBurI057

Also found this much more selective list:

http://www.classical-music.com/article/six-best-pieces-music-inspired-birdsong

I don't know how to express my gratitude for this find! Awesome! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

I'm suprised nobody has posted this one yet. OK, so the bird doesn't sing, but it's still a bird.

I don't know if it can be called singing but they make sounds for sure:

A bird song of the day - albatross song. It's worth noting that the video starts with a long bird's-eye view shot

(it's a crane :)).

19 hours ago, Hugo9000 said:

Roberta Peters is spectacular here:

How can one even sing like this.? It's impossible! I bet it's some clever overdubbing ;)

(These are my usual reactions to coloratura sopranos like this..)

On 11/7/2018 at 11:00 PM, AnotherSpin said:

One of the few 20th century poets (I focused mainly on his poetry) who could really move me.

Didn't succeed. Made a mistake with the last spectrogram. I guess musicians won't have a problem with this:

On 11/10/2018 at 5:15 PM, christopher3393 said:

Bryd one brere ( Bird on a Bryre)· anon. (medieval English)

A beautiful performance!

The song (a bit more contemporary than this one :)) that immediately came to mind was :

21 hours ago, Hugo9000 said:

So, I was checking out a recording of Verdi's string quartet on Spotify, and what do I hear in the quiet passages?  Gorgeous birdsong!  Apparently, it was a live recording in some hydroelectric plant in Germany.  Sadly, I can't find it on youtube to share here.  The violinist on the Verdi quartet is the acclaimed Christian Tetzlaff.  I don't know what kind of bird is singing--a lark?  It's very beautiful, actually!  The human audience is amazingly quiet haha!

This is the CD:

2028428225_VerdiStringQuartetwithbirdsonga.thumb.jpg.4f01d57c66ee47609afa0c0103d6767b.jpg

710448843_VerdiStringQuartetwithbirdsongb.thumb.jpg.e7acd1268c1ecd0224d067a84b335cba.jpg

P.S.  In the Graffman/Bernstein/NY Phil recording of the Rachmaninov 2nd piano concerto, there is a bird.  I don't recall which movement it appears in, but it's a welcome distraction from the noisy musicians shuffling their sheet music and scraping their chairs and whatever other odd things they were doing.  That recording is the reason I hate that orchestra haha!  The only orchestra I know of where a live audience isn't needed to provide coughing--the musicians provide it themselves in the studio.  No discipline whatsoever!

The album 'Junun' was recorded in Mehrangarh Fort in Rajasthan, India. All reverb on the album is natural and a large space beneath the fort was used as an echo chamber. But birds couldn't be kept from visiting this space so you can clearly hear them on some of the songs eg (I think they even turned the volume of birdsong up every now and then):

There is also a short track entitled 'There Are Birds in the Echo Chamber' on the album!

5 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Pretty song?

Pretty indeed. I like it even more than Jordi Savall's version. The very first seconds of the song made me think about Ladysmith Black Mambazo. I think it was due to the fantastic rhythmic abilities of the choir. If someone doesn't know what I'm talking about :

Two more movie soundtracks. I admit I prefer three first Inarritu's movies (despite the fact that they weren't related to birds in any meaningful way) but 'Birdman' was a good one too.

Peter Gabriel's 'Birdy' OST.

And speaking of an urge to fly (birds inspired not only soft genres performers..)

One morning while reading a newspaper, Jarbas Agnelli saw a photograph of birds on an electric wire. He cut out the photo and was inspired to make a song using the exact location of the birds as musical notes. He was curious to hear what melody the birds created...

And sampled birds once again.

15 hours ago, mansr said:

Starlings have been known to sing the classic Nokia ringtone, back when Nokia was synonymous with phone.

I've heard a lyre bird imitating both - the Nokia ringtone and a sterling mimicking it and there was a distinct sound difference between the two. Lyre birds rule! I'm pretty sure they'd be able to clearly demonstrate SQ differences between audio components. Power cords included.

So leaving music aside for a moment: who are better dancers - Homo Sapiens or Aves.?

Professionals. Great synchronization, isn't it.

Also a professional. RIP.

Birds of paradise. Are they pro or amateur.? Definitely they don't get paid but sometimes their dance pays off..

And from the above mentioned Spotify playlist:

@christopher3393 Listening to "A Flock Descends into the Pentagonal Garden' has been a refreshing experience. It almost felt like having my inner music hard drive defragmented! Got to check out this guy's music! Thx!

Birdism - the new religion. Its guru is Wayne Donowho.

Anti-birdism - 5G (but this might be real fake news)