IGNORED

Can I upgrade my headphones without an amp?

My computer is connected via optical to a 5.1 receiver, which has some Klipsch tower speakers hooked up.  However, when I listen to music or play video games, I use headphones.  I currently have Sennheiser 598's and kind of want to upgrade.  I can't even describe what they lack, maybe punch/bass?

Anyway, are there any headphones that would be a real upgrade for me that wouldn't require an amp?  I assume plugging the headphones into the receiver (Yamaha HTR-6030, it's about 10 years old) provides SOME amplification, but not as much as a dedicated amp.

The 598's are very colored in sound and not that detailed. An external headphone amp is a good idea but it cant alter the basic signature of the 598's.

If you want to conserve money, buy some Grado SR80e's (~$100) and a Schiit headphone amp of your preference.

If you want to go for even better, look at Audeze Sine or Mobius (~$500)

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

The 598's are very colored in sound and not that detailed. An external headphone amp is a good idea but it cant alter the basic signature of the 598's.

If you want to conserve money, buy some Grado SR80e's (~$100) and a Schiit headphone amp of your preference.

If you want to go for even better, look at Audeze Sine or Mobius (~$500)

I just don't want the extra clutter of the wires related to the amp.  I already have sooo many wires in this area with 2 computers, receiver, and speaker wire going out to 5 speakers.  I just want the best headphones I can get that don't need an amp any better than what my receiver provides.

3 hours ago, steve530 said:

...  I just want the best headphones I can get that don't need an amp any better than what my receiver provides.

Try the headphone jack for your gaming monitor, you may find it sounds  better  than the receiver jack... I know the one on my Samsung gaming monitor is pretty good used with

either of the Grados. Stick with high efficiency headphones like the Grados if you don't want a separate headphone amp.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system